Charleston Race Week

Started by Brian Barmmer, November 26, 2012, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Barmmer

RIP Viper #92 - My Next One Will Be Safety Orange
C9H13NO3

Tim Carter

Any chance in Hades for a charter during Charleston????
Lt Coast Gov

Somers Kempe

I am looking for a charter as well.  If anyone has any leads/offers please PM me.
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Tim Carter

We still have a couple of Left Coasties looing into the possibility of a CRW charter..

any ideas??
Lt Coast Gov

Jonathan Nye

Who's organizing dockage this year

Peter Beardsley

Not sure about the dockage organization yet, but it would be great if someone could pick that up.  It wasn't too painful last year and I don't think any of the organizers were left footing the bill for more than a week or so. 

Timbo/Somers: it would be helpful if you guys could say how much you'd be willing to pay for a charter for the event and then we could find some owners, some of whom may be lurking.  Last year a couple of boats got chartered in exchange for a new jib, new main, or actual cash.  Free charters are hard to come by, even if someone brings their own sails over, though details on proposals like that could also help.  There's also the boat transportation issue -- there's only a couple of Vipers in the Carolinas, so a charterer would have to pay for transport to and from Charleston -- if that is a given in your assumption, then we should be able to find you a boat.

Now up to 25 entries...
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Somers Kempe

Peter et al,

Would be looking at $1500 charter fee and I would use my own sails.  I will cover costs of insurance coverage through the Gowrie Group.
Will also pay for trucking the boat up from Miami to Charleston if that is the direction the owners boat would be going or anything within that range. 

Thanks,
Somers

Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Justin Scott

Quote from: Jonathan Nye on January 28, 2013, 04:42:06 PM
Who's organizing dockage this year

You did such a great job last year.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dan Tucker

Any MA Vipers heading to Charleston, a buddy of mine is looking to get some J/24 cushions he sold down from Beverly to CRW. If anyone could throw them in the back of their truck, he'd be grateful enough to cut you a deal on some new Henri Lloyd gear I'm sure... Or at least toss you a couple of pairs of their awesome gloves.

I can put you in touch if you might be willing to help out a friend of mine.
Race it like you stole it.

Peter Beardsley

Bob McHugh (Viper 81) is coordinating dockage and will have more information for everyone shortly.

Now up to 29 entries...who will be # 30? 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Olaf Bleck

Somers and Timbo,

Regarding a CRW charter:

My boat's sitting idle in Boston, and I'm not sure I can to CRW yet.  So I suppose I can consider a charter, maybe with the caveat that I can get a slot if I can in fact make it.

The other caveat is the rudder tower still has ugliness from the field patch she got after a J22 took the rudder off last year at CRW.  "Functional but not pretty."

I think it was about a 12 hr drive from Boston.  I can charter you my BMW 325i to tow her down too if you don't mind a rattly front end.  15MPG at speed.

Cheers
-Olaf
obleck [at] gmail

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Peter Beardsley

Now up to 33 entries.  Who's taking Olaf's boat? 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on February 12, 2013, 03:24:11 PM
Somers and Timbo,

Regarding a CRW charter:

My boat's sitting idle in Boston, and I'm not sure I can to CRW yet.  So I suppose I can consider a charter, maybe with the caveat that I can get a slot if I can in fact make it.

The other caveat is the rudder tower still has ugliness from the field patch she got after a J22 took the rudder off last year at CRW.  "Functional but not pretty."

I think it was about a 12 hr drive from Boston.  I can charter you my BMW 325i to tow her down too if you don't mind a rattly front end.  15MPG at speed.

Cheers
-Olaf
obleck [at] gmail

You get much better mileage if you dont drag the keel down the highway!

Olaf took keel fairing to a whole new level!
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Its time to start talking about Charlietown plans.

We (or rather Dan and Janet) are organizing a "Viper's Bite" party and debrief on Friday evening after sailing and before the rum opens up on the beach.

5.30 pm at the Pavillion.
The Class sponsors will be handing out free Dark and Stormies - Avoid the lines.
Debrief on sail trim, tactics and current from some of the top guys.
Make plans for tuning partners the next day.
General social and pre-party
Handing out the "Charleston Guru" tip sheets with go-fast and current tips.
Handing out tide charts of the Race Course, including "Panda's Folly" clearly marked.

Pass this info on to everyone in the fleet. Remind your neighbor in the slip, "5.30 pm at the Pavillion"   

Also....Rondar are handing out a prize for the most outrageously decorated Viper in the slips. I'm told that this year the award is a brand new 2013 Peabody Viper (ex sails).
Viper - Mambo Kings

Peter Beardsley

Now up to 38 entries (not counting the duplicate 3 Grins).  Not bad. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"