Charleston Race Week

Started by Brian Barmmer, November 26, 2012, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Tucker

Sigh... There goes Justin getting ahead of himself again. And putting words/promises in my mouth...

We're working on booze for the debrief. It's a little problematic, but we'll work through it.

No, Rondar is not handing out prizes for decoration of boats. We will be handing out Rondar swag to every boat that attends the Friday debrief though.

Details on this and more (dockage, social, etc) will be forthcoming via email shortly. We'll also post what we're ACTUALLY doing here.  :-)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Race it like you stole it.

Justin Scott

Quote from: Dan Tucker on March 22, 2013, 06:19:58 PM
Sigh... There goes Justin getting ahead of himself again. And putting words/promises in my mouth...

We're working on booze for the debrief. It's a little problematic, but we'll work through it.

No, Rondar is not handing out prizes for decoration of boats. We will be handing out Rondar swag to every boat that attends the Friday debrief though.

Details on this and more (dockage, social, etc) will be forthcoming via email shortly. We'll also post what we're ACTUALLY doing here.  :-)

Seriously?  You are not handing out a free all new Viper as an award?  I'm sorry if I misled anyone.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

Meanwhile I see that Jonesy hasn't registered for Charlietown after the ass whopping that the Mambo Kings handed out last year.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Tim Carter

There is a rumor that a Left Coaster may be sampling the Chucktown waters soon, hopefully while learning  how not to up chuck.

JJ has been my wingman in the past...  Justin, can you help a bro out?
Lt Coast Gov

Jeff Jones

Doh!   We are 1:1 at charleston, although last year ill give you the clinic.

That river sailin' just strange. 

@ tim - don't let mambo drag you into any of those college bars and remember, always check their id

Quote from: Justin Scott on March 23, 2013, 11:29:27 AM
Meanwhile I see that Jonesy hasn't registered for Charlietown after the ass whopping that the Mambo Kings handed out last year.

Tim Carter

Thanks for the local knowlege Jeffy...    ;)
Lt Coast Gov

Drew Harper

Watch the rivers and tide forecast there Timbo. It's like sailing your home turf with Rivers dumping into the sea.

My only CRW was tons of fun and we'd have done much better if the skipper and bow guy didn't keep falling out of the boat :-D

Tac Boston has some good general tips here.  http://truewindracing.blogspot.com/2009/04/viper-sailing-at-charleston-race-week.html

Comment from a Scow sailor

"CW: After piloting about six thousand ships in and out of Charleston, I still have moments where I scratch my head about the current. We have a usual range of tide about 5.5 feet. During the spring equinox, we will see ranges of up to 7 feet. That is a lot of water in and out every six hours. Some of our currents run as much as 3 1/2 knots. I am always looking over at the racing area trying to see what the current is doing on any given time of the tide. In Charleston, you have two rivers, The Ashley and the Cooper, converging at the battery (some say to form the rest of the world), where they meet and develop tide rips which move across various parts of the harbor during different stages of the tide. Being out there every day certainly is an advantage, but the old Pros like Lenny Krawcheck are still the wise men about the harbor."

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Jeff Jones on March 26, 2013, 08:33:18 AM

@ tim - don't let mambo drag you into any of those college bars and remember, always check their id

Dont forget 2010 as well as 2012, Jonesy.  Not that I'm keeping score or anything. 

2012: Scott: 5th
          Jones/Miller : 18th

2011: Scott: 4th
          Jones: 20th (DNC) 

2010: Scott: 5th
          Jones: 8th

2009: Jones : 8th
          Scott : 9th

2008 : Scott: 1st
          Jones:  NVY  (No Viper Yet)

Viper - Mambo Kings

Jeff Jones

You had a very good result last year, and I didn't hear chuck have to scream back at you but a few times.     

2010 I registered and paid but someone else sailed under my name.  Someone owes me a beer.   2011, DNC.   Well Justin, I guess you have to take them any way you can get them.

;-)

Quote from: Justin Scott on April 01, 2013, 10:59:36 AM
Quote from: Jeff Jones on March 26, 2013, 08:33:18 AM

Dont forget 2010 as well as 2012, Jonesy.  Not that I'm keeping score or anything. 

2012: Scott: 5th
          Jones/Miller : 18th

2011: Scott: 4th
          Jones: 20th (DNC) 

2010: Scott: 5th
          Jones: 8th

2009: Jones : 8th
          Scott : 9th

2008 : Scott: 1st
          Jones:  NVY  (No Viper Yet)

Justin Scott

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 01, 2013, 12:47:58 PM

2010 I registered and paid but someone else sailed under my name. 

Damn I'm sorry to hear that Jonesy, being as it was one of your better results and all.

I'm sure you realize I'm just raggin on yah because regattas are twice as fun when you are around.

Its not too late to enter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Chucks or yelling on my boat last year,  the occasional giggle about the tide and folks going aground in succession on Panda's ledge. I'll be sailing with Tripp this year, same as last. Gotta love sailing with Tripp ( 6 years at various regattas). He is an F18 sailor on his own boat and the tactics of an F18 sailor are very simple. "Dont worry too much about which way we are going as long as we are going fast as shit and having fun getting there". Given the Charleston lottery, it actually works quite well.

2009, I brought two guys who had never sailed Vipers before....and they both bought boats afterwards. One was Jason and now he is buying his second. This stuff is seriously addictive.

Viper - Mambo Kings

Drew Harper

Quote from: Justin Scott on April 02, 2013, 04:57:48 PM

2009, I brought two guys who had never sailed Vipers before....and they both bought boats afterwards. One was Jason and now he is buying his second. This stuff is seriously addictive.

That was the year you went screaming into the leeward mark on the big air day, crashing wildly yelling "no, no, no, that's not how we do on the Viper at all." in your most dignified accent. Those guys LOVED the class. That was only eclipsed by 40 boats lengths earlier me yelling back at Dan T "what the f' are you doing?" as we crashed out of control, only to realize Dan had fallen off the boat! I think we holeshot that race...damnitalltohell. The only thing funnier was about 5 boat lengths after you were so politely educating your crew on the ways of the Viper, the bow guy fell out of our boat. I think we finished damn deep....hero to zero with two overboards!

Hope you guys have a BALL sailing CRW. I'll be back in the Bay Area sellin boats :'-{
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

David Furna

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on February 12, 2013, 12:32:46 PM
Bob McHugh (Viper 81) is coordinating dockage and will have more information for everyone shortly.

Now up to 29 entries...who will be # 30?

Any updates on docking arrangements?

Peter Beardsley

Dave, my understanding is that Bob sent an email to all registered skippers about docking arrangements -- did your skipper get an email about this?  If not, drop Dan Tucker a line since I think he is now coordinating that part. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

David Furna

I did respond to Bob and I'm pretty sure I'm on the list. I'll check with Dan though

Justin Scott

Quote from: Dan Tucker on March 22, 2013, 06:19:58 PM
There goes Justin getting ahead of himself again.

We will be handing out Rondar swag to every boat that attends the Friday debrief though.

Any details on the Friday debriefing forthcoming??  Time??  Place??
Looking foward to it.

Costco has got some great deals on coolers at the moment. I'm thinking that the class needs to own some logo'd coolers for events like this.

I'll be bringing some rum and ginger beer to the debrief....if anyone else wants to "throw in" to the cooler , feel free.
Viper - Mambo Kings