Charleston Race Week

Started by Brian Barmmer, November 26, 2012, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Okay. Charlie Town Viperers.

Here is what I got from Dan regarding the Friday briefing.

It will take place at the Look Out Pavilion at 5.30 pm on Friday.

As you come off the docks with the resort on your right...the pavilion is to the left across the parking lot.  We can't sell liquor there but Dan will have an open cooler and some kind Viper owners have donated some bottles of rum and ginger beer.

The bar at the party does not open until 6.00pm, so this is a chance to have a cold one with some friends and hear Brad, Alan , Ched and others give a de-brief and give their insight as to what was working out there and what was not. They will answer any questions about tuning and setting up the Viper. Questions and discussions will be useful for newcomers and old lags alike.

See y'all there.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Cole Constantineau

Looking forward to meeting y'all!  First time racing my boat, so I will definitely be at the debrief...

Justin Scott

Dont forget to bring a six pack to bribe the "experts".  Brad can be very helpful.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Passed a J70 on I95 South being towed by a big hemi, like it was standing still.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: Justin Scott on April 17, 2013, 10:40:19 PM
Passed a J70 on I95 South being towed by a big hemi, like it was standing still.
This is funny, I got an email last night from a J/70 friend that said "Saw a Viper blow by us on way to Charleston today doing 90".
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Doug Stumberger

lol, kind of says it all re: the melges 20 ... (scoring error from http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=742)

Melges 20
1.   83   USA 180   Rondar Raceboats   Viper 640   Dan Tucker   1       1.0
2.   40   USA 40   Oleander   Audi Melges 20   James Wilson   2       2.0
3.   20   USA 20   STAR   Audi Melges 20   Jeff Ecklund   3       3.0
4.   3   USA 3   Lucky Dog / Gill Race Team   Audi Melges 20   Travis Weisleder   4       4.0
5.   13   USA 13   Bacio   Audi Melges 20   Michael Kiss   5       5.0
6.   193   USA 193   Heartbreaker   Audi Melges 20   Robert Hughes

Justin Scott

Sorry to report that Danny and Megan found Panda's ledge today.  I hope their boat is okay.

Real Charleston sailing today.......two big currents flowing across the course on the upwind leg, very shifty, and big puffs on different parts of the course.

Heading off to the Viper briefing at The resort now.

Our next door neighbors on the dock....Jay and his friends are having a terrific regatta and deserve congrats on being the leading all amateur team.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Jason Hyerstay

Is is all over? Looks like no racing on Sunday.

Congrats to Jackpot! I like that they have their name on the new boat.

I heard from friends that USA 92 got holed in a port/starboard at a start. Any info on that?

Cheers,

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Justin Scott

Many of the Vipers sailed out towards the course on Sunday but racing was abandoned. It was probably the right call. I think that the more experienced Vipers could have cinched their safety belts and chin straps and battled nature around the course but it woud not have been a welcoming experience for the relatively high proportion of newcomers to the class in the Charleston fleet.

If we had raced....I can tell you that Pat Gibson and his hard charging team from Galveston bay would probably have schooled us again. They really lit up the course on the big air last race on Friday.

As it was, the two sail reach down to Remley's to haul out, gave the big air junkies all of the adrenilin that they could have asked for. There were quite a few knock downs even under two sails and plenty of mast jarring and shakin puffs.  We landed at the Hob ramps with Kay +Karen and 3 Grins and we were glad to have each other around to help pull out in that breeze.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

On a somber note. Yes, #92, Brian Barmmer's boat was holed. It was a double shame because its is a long way to come but also they were doing very well in that race, right up with the leaders. Ben will take a look at the boat.

More worrying at first was the news that Kay and Karen were involved in a Port/Starboard incident on Rt 17 on Sunday afternoon.  I spoke to Kay on Sunday night. The most important news is that nobody is injured and altho naturaly a bit shaken, everyone is in good spirits.  Their vehicle was towed to the shop and it may be a write off.  They were trying to figure out how to get the boat (Lo Qi) back to Marblehead and it sounded like fellow Viperers were rallying around to help.   
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

This is the second time in under a year that Brian Barmmer's boat has been hit while on starboard by a port tack boat. Fortunately he has not lost his sense of humor. This from the Marblehead Viper fleet facebook page:.....

"Expirenced Viper crew available, 170 lbs, good attitude , questionable luck."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135328396636780/permalink/153935738109379/#!/groups/135328396636780/
Viper - Mambo Kings

Josh Vogel

Kay is still down in Charleston trying to get back with the boat. Do we know anyone down there who can help?

Wish we could have done more, but the Saturn L200 with 3 bodies and a viper was already pushing it.

Peter Bauer

Hey my wife just saw a viper parked in a plumbing supply store parking lot here in Mamaroneck.  If anybody needs any help, let me know.  Or maybe someone's just picking up plumbing supplies.

Justin Scott

Quote from: Josh Vogel on April 23, 2013, 11:47:28 AM
Kay is still down in Charleston trying to get back with the boat. Do we know anyone down there who can help?

Wish we could have done more, but the Saturn L200 with 3 bodies and a viper was already pushing it.

I sent Kay an email to see what kind of help he might need.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Kay VanValkenburgh

Thanks, all, for your concern.

I should have known that the best place to go for a solution was the Viper forum! Sounds like I could have skipped calling rental truck agencies and spendt my time better here. I understand that a new Sarasota owner offered to stop in Charleston on her way to MA to pick up her boat. (Thank you for that very kind offer).

Instead I'm driving a torture chamber of a 14 foot U-Haul with nothing in it pulling my boat to Boston! (luckily I really do love road trips, and I can easily work remotely.)

The regatta was a blast, definitely not missed. Especially when considering what a great community of Viper sailors we spent time with!
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!