Charleston Race Week

Started by Brian Barmmer, November 26, 2012, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

I received the following email from our Circle Two PRO, which I thought you would enjoy sharing:

"The 2013 CRW was as exciting as ever.  It was a crazy few days.  Being cooler than expected, you would have seen me in the great Viper pull-over your fleet gave me last year.

I really enjoyed your account.  I can also tell you that the Vipers got more air than the J/70's.  I thought a couple of you were going to totally take flight.  It is impressive that you can keep the boat on top of the water with the mast mostly vertical in those conditions.  My hat is off to you all.  Have another great season, and I hope we see each other next year.

Hal Smith"

Hal does a great job for us every year. He coined the phrase the "Roaring Twenties Line" when the Vipers came to CRW and he does his darndest to give us great racing. Please look out for hal and be sure to shake his hand at next year's CRW.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Kay VanValkenburgh on April 23, 2013, 03:45:02 PM
Thanks, all, for your concern.

I should have known that the best place to go for a solution was the Viper forum! Sounds like I could have skipped calling rental truck agencies and spendt my time better here. I understand that a new Sarasota owner offered to stop in Charleston on her way to MA to pick up her boat. (Thank you for that very kind offer).

Instead I'm driving a torture chamber of a 14 foot U-Haul with nothing in it pulling my boat to Boston! (luckily I really do love road trips, and I can easily work remotely.)

The regatta was a blast, definitely not missed. Especially when considering what a great community of Viper sailors we spent time with!

Major Viper props to soon-to-be owner Michelle Lee from Sarasota. Michelle called me offering to bring Kay & Karen's boat home to MA on their way to pick up her new boat in Peabody this week after reading this thread. Keep your eyes out for USA 202 and its all-women's team at regattas, and buy them a round or give them the close crossings, for so fully embracing the true spirit of the Viper Class even from before Day 1!

When she called about this she said that one of the big reasons they choose the Viper was because of the people in the Class. She'll fit right in, make her welcome, she deserves it!

Cheers,
Dan
Race it like you stole it.

Justin Scott

and she is pretty helpful with the car buying advice as well.

Kay sent a smiley face by email a couple of hours ago. I'm assuming that means good things...but with Kay, you never know...he is always smiling.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Brad Boston

Great regatta! Wish we were all in the same dock location this year but when I heard we might not have dockage I called a friend and slipped in with them! Made it much harder to hang at the dock with everyone.

Sailing was fantastic again this year and can't wait to go back!!!
It was fun sailing the new boat! Every time we walked down the dock to a white Boat if sure was different!! We are excited to be sailing 201 this year and can only hope to have half the success that 119 had.

Hope to see you at the next regatta!

Brad

Jason Hyerstay

You were funny in that interview with Clean, talking about being asked to come speak at the North Sails debrief. Even if you guys compete for sail orders, it is great to have a class where everyone comes together to make the fleet faster!

Did anyone record the debrief session so those of us who couldn't make CRW can watch it and learn too?

Cheers,

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Justin Scott

I took notes on what Brad said on Saturday's debrief:

"1. There were some lighter spots and some bigger puffs. We set up for the breeze in the puffs because we felt it was important to be able to take advantage of the those prolonged puffs and keep the boat moving and pointing without being overpowered.

2. We used Doyle sails which were really fast, it was a beautiful thing, they were fast and high and we found our groove, the Doyle sails were really nice and ooomf....thud...crunch...static"
Chuck Allen "Well thank you Brad, I think we all found that very helpful, now lets hear from Allan Terhune"

Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

I'm joking of course. Brad did make the first point, which is that contrary to popular wisdom when most sailors say "set up for the light stuff" so that you can keep moving in the light and just hike hard in the puffs.  Brad pointed out that there were certain conditions where we should set up for the puffs and this was one of them. I thought it was interesting and it certainly worked.

I also think it was pretty sporting of Chuck to invite Brad to come up and say a few words at a so-called North debrief and it was nice of Brad to contribute. It sends a nice message to the rank and file owners and once again I think the Viper class is particularly blessed by the individual sailmakers who have chosen to sell their wares to us.

Brad did decline to wear the North sails hat that chuck offered him.....it was a bridge too far. Although, unless he wore it backwards when sailing, nobody was going to be able to read the logo anyway.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Brad Boston

It is nice that everyone in the class is able to share and work together to some extent. There is nothing more rewarding than the fleet getting better and better pushing the top boats! I hope to see everyone at the next regatta.

Brad