2013 Miami Regattas?

Started by Samson Vasquez, September 15, 2012, 09:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samson Vasquez

Any more talk on a 2013 Viper Circuit in the warm Florida Waters?

Who is game????

Craig Wilusz

Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Justin Scott

Miami Viper Week is a go.

Sat - For Travel
Sunday/ Monday -  Viper Regatta
Tuesday/ Wednesday R&R, including : A Viper cruise to a bar/restaurant on Key Biscayne. Coaching and tuning sessions. Beach and sailing with family and friends.
Thursday/Friday/Saturday - Bacardi Cup/Viper Pan Am Championships.
Sun - For Travel.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Peter Beardsley

There will be a more formal announcement in the next few days, but the circuit looks something like this:

Jan. 12-13
Feb. 9-10
Mar. 3-4 (Sun/Mon) (pre Bacardi)
Mar. 8-10 (Thurs-Sat) (Bacardi Cup)

Mast up storage at US Sailing Center in Coconut Grove for those who reserve it.  Working on mass boat transportation options -- stay tuned.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Matt Sole

Last year we got burned with having to pay two months of storage for 5 weeks use. This year it would be 3 months of storage for under two months of storage. (You have to pay for full calendar months at a time) Does anybody feel like calling Pat and seeing if we can just pay for two months? I would but I am not a very good negotiator when it comes to this stuff.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

David Chapman

could we have a pointscore for

mon/tuesday....thurs/fri/sat

maybe call it the viper globals or something???

just be good to have a international name for PR...

Justin Scott

Quote from: David Chapman on September 16, 2012, 10:59:28 AM
could we have a pointscore for

mon/tuesday....thurs/fri/sat

maybe call it the viper globals or something???

just be good to have a international name for PR...

I think we will call it something like Miami Race Week (which might evolve into something special if someone gives a trophy). We might also have a drag race on the Tuesday reaching 6 miles out to the restaurant. It is important that Sunday/Monday stays fun. We hope that those who bring their spouse /gf/b/son /daughter/friends see it as an opportunity to race with them on Sunday/Monday .
Viper - Mambo Kings

Lee Eikel

Peter Beardsley

MGRW hasn't been kicked -- there's a lot of desire from some folks to have a mast-up circuit at the same venue in Miami.  There's also a desire from some folks to attend MGRW.  The two are not mutually exclusive -- I'm guessing though that the folks who want to attend the first couple of Miami events may not be willing to drive over to New Orleans.  There may be other folks who want to do New Orleans and who miss the first couple of Miami events, but hopefully everyone can rendezvous in Miami for Bacardi Week. 

If there are people who want to travel around to all of those regattas, more power to them!  They should certainly be encouraged to do so.  We did not have much flexibility on Miami dates with other regattas around that time and limited resources. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Lee Eikel on September 17, 2012, 03:42:44 PM
Has the MGRW been kicked?  

MGRW has certainly NOT been kicked.

The week in March means those of us who are not stored in Miami can come to Miami for one week, do two regattas PLUS have two whole days in the middle to play and learn + take less days off work than travelling to two regattas. It makes it a real vacation.  

It is also very attractive that they start the sailing on Sunday, so that those of us who leave for Miami on Friday (from New Orleans or Austin or CT)  after work can get there in time and throw our rigs up for the first two days of sailing. I think that sends a message that it doesnt exclude other regattas because they have obviously left travel time for those who are not stored in Miami.

It is very doable to do both MGRW in Feb and then come to Miami for the winter Viper festival in March.

Viper - Mambo Kings

Peter Beardsley

In the meantime, registration for Bacardi Cup, aka "Viper Midwinters", is now open: http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=729

NOR for the January event will be out possibly as early as the end of this week.
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

David Furna

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on September 18, 2012, 05:41:58 PM
In the meantime, registration for Bacardi Cup, aka "Viper Midwinters", is now open: http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=729

NOR for the January event will be out possibly as early as the end of this week.

Vicious Panda signs up in Sept. for a March Regatta? Peter loves Coconut grove!

Looking forward to seeing the other dates get set.

Samson Vasquez

What about a Corinthian Sub Class at Bacardi?

I still have sand in my shoes......

Matt Sole

Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78