2013 Miami Regattas?

Started by Samson Vasquez, September 15, 2012, 09:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Carter

Don't know about a "sub" class, but I think it is a really good thing to recognise the 1st all corinthian team...  there is honor there.
Lt Coast Gov

Samson Vasquez

I did not ask you. I was asking someone that would say yes.

Why not? Just another tool to help lure sailors to the water?

Matt Sole

So where do you draw the line? Don't include registered Cat 3's only? What about Olympic sailors do they get to go for the Corinthian trophy. What about recently down graded form Cat3 to 1?

So if I have a friend who works on a big boat, he is a Cat 3  but sails with me for fun. So now I can't compete for a Corinthian trophy even though I am a Cat 1? What about Cat 1 guys who run a full program and sail more than most pro's?

Sorry not interested in that BS.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Samson Vasquez

Wow, I did not see the other thread. This internet thingy is to big, haha. Sorry about that. Seems it has been talked about.

Matt I was joking!!

The top Corinthian is a better idea. All it is doing is adding more value to class. It will not take anything away. The pros are here and the amount will only increase with the class taking off. This is a good thing (we all get better by sailing against better sailors). Keep that they still cannot get paid. What is the big deal?????

Well, yes that would be an appropriate line to start. Cat 3.  You get paid to sail at some point. That is not "Corinthian" sailing. If you are a cat 1 now, then yes. Not hard to down grade if it is true. The process is simple and is already in place.

This something the class should look at for its midwinter's and Nationals. Maybe even to the circuit??

The Viper is a Bad Ass Class because it was built up by CORINTHIANS buying boats and yall made a bad ass class which more pro's want to play in now. (I am not saying they are getting paid) Who doesn't want to sail  VIPER 640?

Really doesn't matter to me. Was just a idea. I am done, take it as you want to.

Cheers, see you on the water and in the bar!!!

Justin Scott

Im kinda with Sam on this.

We handed out all kinds of prizes at the NAs.  It was fun. The whole idea behind Miami Viper Week in March is to have a week in Miami that involves hanging out with friends and family with some darn good sailing. We should have daily Peloton awards again (anyone who hasnt finished on a podium at NAs or sanctioned regatta). We should have furthest travelled. Best sportsperson. Best Crash. Top Amateur/Club Sailor, loosely defined. None of these will take away from the regular awards. We can make up our own rules for some Miami awards. If we want to say that Colin Marshall can compete for an amateur club sailor award and former olympians like Barry Parkin is happy not to qualify for that award...then we can do that.  I do like the idea of a serious Peleton trophy for someone who has done a minimum of a year of Viper sailing and never finished on a podium.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Tim Carter

The more trophies you have, the greater interest you have in the event.  Let's look @ the Etchells Class Worlds and what perpetual trophies they have added over the years.  (disclaimer) I won one of these

1. Masters Trophy, Helmsman over 50yrs old
2. Seniors Trophy, Helmsman over 60yrs old
3. Grand Masters, Aggreate crew age over 150yrs old
4. Sportsmanship Award
5. Corinthian Award (Top all Corinthian team)

This is in addition to daily 1st's for each race and Overall trophies.  This is in one of the Worlds most competive classes that is chock full of pro's and deep budgets

Where is there dis-honor in any of these?  If you won one, would you be embarrased and hide it??

Embrace the corinthians, shake their hand and give them a pat on the back, they are the backbone of sailing.
Lt Coast Gov

Matt Rowlinson

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on September 18, 2012, 05:41:58 PM
In the meantime, registration for Bacardi Cup, aka "Viper Midwinters", is now open: http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=729

NOR for the January event will be out possibly as early as the end of this week.

I can't even find the Jan event on the class website--is there going to be one?  We are currently thinking of driving down for the Feb 9-10 event and leaving the boat in place through Bacardi race week.

John Leyland

Any suggestions on best places to stay in Coconut Grove?

Cheers,
John
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Matt Sole

Quote from: Justin Scott on October 04, 2012, 07:18:58 PM

We handed out all kinds of prizes at the NAs.  It was fun. The whole idea behind Miami Viper Week in March is to have a week in Miami that involves hanging out with friends and family with some darn good sailing. We should have daily Peloton awards again (anyone who hasnt finished on a podium at NAs or sanctioned regatta). We should have furthest travelled. Best sportsperson. Best Crash. Top Amateur/Club Sailor, loosely defined. None of these will take away from the regular awards. We can make up our own rules for some Miami awards. If we want to say that Colin Marshall can compete for an amateur club sailor award and former olympians like Barry Parkin is happy not to qualify for that award...then we can do that.  I do like the idea of a serious Peleton trophy for someone who has done a minimum of a year of Viper sailing and never finished on a podium.

"If you aint first, you're last" Ricky Bobby's Dad.

Why can't we just give prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd instead of turning the Viper class into an american primary school where everyone gets a prize just for showing up to sports day, so no ones "feelings" get hurt.  Winners get prizes, the rest of the field gets to be good sportsmen and congratulate the winner.

Basta.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Brad Boston

I am all for a trophy for the amature trophy.. I think it recognizes the teams that put a lot of work in that are not proffesionals.. Our job as pros is to keep the fleet getting better and better, if I get beat buy a all amature team  it is the best thing...

Justin Scott

Quote from: Matt Sole on October 09, 2012, 10:52:01 AM
Quote from: Justin Scott on October 04, 2012, 07:18:58 PM

We handed out all kinds of prizes at the NAs.  It was fun. 

"If you aint first, you're last" Ricky Bobby's Dad.

Basta.

Chuckle!
Ah Haaa, that explains why Matt sails like he was blindfolded with a cougar in the passenger seat trimming kite.

Re the awards at the NAs....you had to be there. There were two awards speeches. Piet's speech as overall winner was very nice, really it was.  But Jeff Danhauer's speech when he came up for his award on Saturday night after race 5 was brilliant and got a standing ovation. The killer last line "We're from Kentucky and we've got bourbon"   

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Craig Wilusz

Planning,

March 2-10(11)

Anyone interested in jamming up into something like this for the week? http://www.vrbo.com/266567
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Kay VanValkenburgh

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on October 11, 2012, 06:08:43 PM
March 2-10(11)

Anyone interested in jamming up into something like this for the week? http://www.vrbo.com/266567

Yep - we'd be in
first boat I ever owned was viper #28; it was a gateway drug.
my current viper is #98; I can't sail it enough.
the resulting sailing addiction's ok up to that point, but come Winter whydahell do I also have to frostbite a Laser?!

Robert Williams

#168 planning Miami for the two race events. Trophy might consist of handle of rum.
Thanks for senior recognition our skipper over 60 and crew 180. Sad isn't it. We have as much
fun as ensure will allow.

Josh Vogel

Viper #83, Purplexed is thinking about making the trip, we're just trying to work out logistics.

Who is going down? How are you getting the boat there? Where are you storing the boats?