2012 Mardi Gras Race Week (NOR/Registration)

Started by Troy Gilbert, August 26, 2011, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy Gilbert

We've gone live for the 2012 MGRW!

NOR is posted and REGISTRATION is online.

February 23-26

http://www.mardigrasraceweek.org

Jeff Jones

Greg Rubin

Hey Jeff,

Well after the responce we had last year we had to start planning the party... er regatta a little earlier this year. In part thanks to the turn out from you guys we hit record numbers last year, and are on pace this year to almost double the number of boats we had in 2011. What this means for the Vipers is... WE HAVE MORE FREE BEER IN DRY STORAGE.

The format is going to be the same, the late start on Saturday is sticking around, and the goal of running at least 10 races in 3 days is staying. But we have learned a few things, and are working hard to make 2012 better than ever. Including:

1) We got rid of arm bands. They are a pain, not worth the time, and a hassle.
2) We have a bigger beer sponsor, so even more free drinks post regatta
3) A number of major manofacturers and vendors are coming. Details are sketchy, but we are hoping to be able to show off some cool new toys.
4) There will be a maintenance shop on site. With an olympic boat right to repair glass work, a machinist with a 24 hour shop to repair metal bits, and a sail maker to fix holes. In addition we are working with other vendors to have on site sales of replacement equipment.

5) Bigger, better and more parties. Including an official bar in the French Quarter
6) Working on Hotel rooms in the quarter
7) Online registration, AND payment
8) Did I mention more free beer?

We did have to raise prices a bit, but if you register early, and pay online there is a $50 discount if you are paid up by Dec 1. Dropping the price to under $100 for the regatta for a Viper.

Guys we were thrilled at the turn out from the Viper fleet last year, and look forward to even more of you coming down this year. I know I have big shoes to fill taking over from Troy after last years success, but we are working hard to make sure they are filled. If you have any questions concerns, or comments let me know and we will get them resolved. Feel free to email or call me at any time.

Greg Rubin
2012 MGRW Chairman
504-251-2588
[email protected]

Drake Borer

May I suggest another minor, "tweak"

If we have 10 races, can we have at least one throw out?.  Even with the late start on Saturday (thank the lord for that), I'm pretty sure that I was still above the legal limit and seeing double.  After turning green and "chumming" between race 1 and 2, the "monkey" fared alot better than in race 1.

I mean, my god man, if you are going to expose us to the lifted skirt and perfumed thigh that is New Orleans around Mardi Gras, does it not then behoove you to find some sympathy and forgiveness for our transgressions?  (I'm just sayin'..........)

Greg Rubin

Drake,

For 2012 we already added a throwout assuming that there are more than five races completed. For exactly the reasons you identified. So let the fun begin, and plan on using a "whoops we went the wrong way ticket" for the regatta.

Jim Sears

F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Drew Harper

Shit...you guys are KILLING me ? I LOVE New Orleans. It's a paltry 5,000 mile round trip... <sigh>

I guess I better get to work on stacking three Vipers from the West on our new double (triple) and gettin' to it. :-D
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Greg Rubin

Drew,

We have been in talks with a boat hauling company to give price breaks to people that are interested. Nothing solid yet, but PM me if you might be interested, we are unsure of the demand for it.

Jeff Jones

Greg,

You guys should get some boats from NOYC over to the HYC One Design regatta sept 17th and 18th.  We currently have 18 vipers registered.  There should be a bunch of J22's.. a handful of J80s' etc.   

Be nice if some of you guys showed up.  Send some MGRW flyers and we'll hand them out. 

Drew Harper

Quote from: Greg Rubin on August 28, 2011, 02:52:19 PM
Drew,

We have been in talks with a boat hauling company to give price breaks to people that are interested. Nothing solid yet, but PM me if you might be interested, we are unsure of the demand for it.

Don't hesitate to contact Caj Flynn at 303-570-4325 and Karen Scholl at 319-230-9008

Both have been extremely competitive and Caj has a cabover rack that can hold a viper on topic of the truck.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Greg Rubin

Drew,

I will contact them and see if they can help at all. But the current plan is to have an 18 wheeler with a flat-bed move multiple boats at a time.  Likely with a few hubs spread throughout the country. So guys in San Diego might have to tow their boats to Los Angeles, then the trucking company would take over.

We are in the early stages of trying to work this out, but that is the plan so far. I don't want to get to far into it, or promise something we can't deliver, but this is the current plan. If we can get something worked out, and agreements in place I will make an announcement about it specifically.

Greg Rubin
2012 MGRW Chairman

Jim Sears

Hey VIPER NATION! I know it's early, but looking at the boats registered, there are 4 VX ODs and only 3 vipers!  That didn't sit very well with me, so I made it 4-4.  This is gonna be a GREAT regatta!
-Jimbo
F.N.G.
USA-148
SoCal

Garrett Johns

Jim, nice work!! Gotta say I'm a bit jealous that you are making the long haul to represent the W Coast snakes!  I would be WAY long for us. Maybe I'll buck up and look for a charter.
USA 129
Anacortes WA

Greg Rubin

I wanted to respond to some logistical concerns people raised with me privatly, so here goes.

MGRW, The Baccardi Cup, and Charlston Race Week have agreed to combine our resources to help drive down the cost of shipping boats by commercial carrier. With over 600 boat-moves for the three regattas this provides us with the leverage we need to drive shipping costs down significantly. A final carrier has yet to be selected, or contracts written, but we are getting closer.

The current system would be as follows:

Home port to New Orleans
1) Owners would contact the shipping company to arrange pick up time and location. As well as to make payment
2) Multiple owners would pack their own boats for travel, and meet a single hauling truck in a central location. With locations scattered all over the country. the intent is to keep owner's drives to less than 50 miles.
3) After being loaded the boats would find their way to New Orleans, and be delivered to an owners representative. Which will likely be a boat yard here in town for unloading.
4) Owners arrive in New Orleans, set up  their boats, race, drink, race, drink.... repeat.
5) On Sunday the owner would be responsible for pacjaging the boat for shipping again. So rig down, on a trailer, ect. Then the yard here will accept the boat for shipping.

New Orleans to Miami
6) Monday morning the boats would be reloaded, and those headed to Miami would head south. Where steps 3-5 would repeat in Miami. Those owners not headed to Miami or Charlston would have their boat loaded and transported for return delivery over the next week.

Miami to Charlston
7)Monday morning the boats would be reloaded, and those headed to Charlston would head north. Where steps 3-5 would repeat in Charlston. Those owners not headed to Charlston would have their boat loaded and transported for return delivery over the next week.

I don't want to discuss specific numbers here since things are still being worked out on the trucking end, but by sharing hauling costs like this it appears that we will be able to drive the price down significantly. Likely to the point where is could be cheaper to go this route than to haul it yourself. Since we are working on a per truck basis instead of the traditional per boat/mile basis the more boats we can stack on a flat bed the lower the price will go per boat.

As we get more specifics I will be sure to relay them.

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Greg Rubin on September 03, 2011, 08:21:54 PM

MGRW, The Baccardi Cup, and Charlston Race Week have agreed to combine our resources to help drive down the cost of shipping boats by commercial carrier. With over 600 boat-moves for the three regattas this provides us with the leverage we need to drive shipping costs down significantly.

-snip-

Like.

It appears likely due to efforts by Dan and others that there will be a Miami based circuit during the winter, including Bacardi but starting in January.  As such, perhaps one "truck" could do the first leg from Miami to NOYC, and then back to Miami for Bacardi.

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)