2012 Mardi Gras Race Week (NOR/Registration)

Started by Troy Gilbert, August 26, 2011, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Rubin

Olaf,

Because of the way this would work it really won't matter where the boats start from. The trucking companies we are talking with can pull boats down from Alaska to Key West without a problem. One truck might work, but hopefully we will have more boats than can fit on a single truck.

We are working on nesting issues, but it looks like three, maybe four Vipers can fit on a flatbed. At least without having to do serious prep for them. Like building custom stacked trailers, and taking the keels off. It could be done of course, but the cost and hassle seem to be a lot of work for minimal decrease in per mile cost.

Now if the Viper class wanted to look into building a custom trailer to stack as many boats as possible behind one truck that would be an interesting idea. With height restrictions, you could probably get 8-10, or figure out a way to use a modified car carrier, though how you keep the boats secured becomes an issue.

Troy Gilbert

As of today - 12 Vipers and 6 VX's...

For all you newbie's to New Orleans - check out my buddy, Harlen Leslie's book on racing in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast on Amazon --  THE REGATTA DIARIES

Jeff Jones

We'll be working on a big push later in the year, but thanks troy for keeping this on the radar.

Marblehead decided to schedule and promote three miami regattas, one only a few weeks before so we may loose a few boats to that (hopefully not).   Texas got really stong last year, so hoping to top the 14 we brought in 2011.

Sounds like the regatta is going to be much larger this year, but you guys have some good things planned in terms of supporting a VX / Viper sportboat line.   

Brad Boston

This is a must do... I have a conflict right now with the Etchells (Miami)  but am going to do everything possible to be there.
Brad

David Furna

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 01, 2011, 10:18:47 AM
We'll be working on a big push later in the year, but thanks troy for keeping this on the radar.

Marblehead decided to schedule and promote three miami regattas, one only a few weeks before so we may loose a few boats to that (hopefully not).   Texas got really stong last year, so hoping to top the 14 we brought in 2011.

After two years in Miami, 55 will be headed out to the MardiGras...

I like sailing Biscayne Bay, but I won't miss the "you can park here", BUT "you have to rig over there" and "Launch Here" BUT "dock over there" and then park your trailer down the road..that's not fun.

Olaf Bleck

Here's my winter/spring plan: 

MGRW: Feb 23-26
Bacardi Cup Miami: March 9-12
Coral Reef Cup Miami (MAYBE in 2012, definitely in 2013): March 23-25  <--this coming together hopefully!?
Charleston Race Week: April 19-23
Wickford Regatta (RI): May 19-20
Larchmont Memorial Day Regatta & Clinic: May 26-27

There's the Miami regatta #1, which is supposed to be on Feb. 11-12, but both Miami and NO are equidistant from Boston and quite a ways apart, so I don't think Bos->Miami->NO->Miami->East Coast is going to make much sense for two more days in Miami.  I think what I'll look into is getting some sort of older/cheap tow vehicle that I'll leave with the boat and mostly fly back and forth.  If anyone wants to share and try to put together a 2 or 3-up trailer, let me know.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Darren Gilbert

Sorry guys, looks like I won't make it to Mardi Gras Race Week this year.  Dates conflict with my Mexico Vacation.
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Justin Scott

Quote from: Darren Gilbert on November 03, 2011, 08:53:04 AM
Sorry guys, looks like I won't make it to Mardi Gras Race Week this year.  Dates conflict with my Mexico Vacation.

There is a Viper regatta in Mexico???
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

David Furna

Are there hotels near the regatta? Suggestions from last year?

Justin Scott

Just started to get the first face book posts from Jonesy about Mardi Gras. Its that time of year again.

If you are going to Mardi Gras and havent signed up for the face book group, you should. Jonesy posts are always good, especially the ones posted between 2.00 and 4.00 am.

Looking good for twenty Vipers at Mardi Gras.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jeff Jones

I've got a (fast) boat available for charter @ MGRW.  If anyone wants to fly in - race and then fly back out it's available.

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: Jeff Jones on January 10, 2012, 07:10:22 PM
I've got a (fast) boat available for charter @ MGRW.  If anyone wants to fly in - race and then fly back out it's available.
58 is now taken, will be used with sails from 161 and co-skippered by myself and Jay Rhame (new Viper owner 169 from Larchmont).  TBD on whether we bring the panda spinnaker down -- may opt for the fluorescent yellow instead since it's more festive.  In any case, we're looking forward to it. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Jeff Jones

but if anyone else is interested let me know.  not many boat's down here that are going to miss this one, but i can always poll the few that cant go.

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: David Furna on December 27, 2011, 01:45:29 PM
Are there hotels near the regatta? Suggestions from last year?
Any recommendations on where to stay would be hugely appreciated. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Jeff Jones

I think Furma booked at the day's inn.  It's not too far down the road, cheap and decend as i understand it.  You could stay downtown?   

make sure you email me the names and mobile numbers for anyone who wants to be on the "where' it's at" mass text list.  During the event we'll be updating the facebook group and texting to make sure everyone know's where the party is.