2012 Mardi Gras Race Week (NOR/Registration)

Started by Troy Gilbert, August 26, 2011, 05:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy Gilbert

Accomodations... There may be a few rooms still available at Hotel Storyville. Clean B&B that is very reasonable and walking distance to the Quarter and a straight shot down Esplanade to the Lakefront.

http://www.hotelstoryville.net/

Also - lucky for me - I am not in charge of the regatta this year and as such am making myself available to the Viper class for a big night in the French Quarter. I can guarantee that you will experience the Quarter as a local and that there will be hurling off of Viper rails the next morning.

Greg Rubin

MGRW is fast approaching, and tomorrow is the last day to get discounted prices on registration. We encourage all of our sailors to go ahead and register and pay now to take advantage of the $25 discount. Particularly since knowing how many boat will be there allows us to have a better idea of how much free beer to ask for from our sponsors!

Justin Scott

Greg and Troy..........you have have done a great job with this regatta.

Sadly, for personal reasons, I cannot be there this year. But I know you will all have a great time.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jeff Jones

22 vipers registered for this one - two will drop so we'll probably end up with 20 which is a 25% increase over last year.

Interesting - i think every boat that came last year is making the trip back.  That says a lot!   The weather looks fantastic.  Mid 60's with breeze. 

Jim Sears with Keith M of Ullman from the west coast
Tac Boston with well, Tac Boston from Canada
Paul Zimm / Ben Pak'a from MA
David F from the south east coast
...  I think we have the US well covered.
Brad D from somewhere up there??   

Should be a nice show-down.  The fleet is very evenly matched.  But the real contest happens off the water.   To recap 2011...

Jeff Jones

Two trips downtown..  an 80's cover band, pizza joint taken over by about 30 viper sailors.

What's best is that everyone kind of stuck together.    That's the plan for this year.   Perfect time to do new orleans - weekend after Fat Tuesday.

I know some i'm supposed to bring bunks for someone - and a carbon mast bracket for at least one other boat??  Work is killing me - i've already forgot so if that's you, remind me again.  viper640tx at gmail    Payment will be taken in drinks or a handle of rum to be shared at the dock.  Bring ice, cups and mixers too.

ok, see everyone in 6 days

..  except you justin
Quote from: Jeff Jones on February 16, 2012, 08:46:16 AM
22 vipers registered for this one - two will drop so we'll probably end up with 20 which is a 25% increase over last year.

Interesting - i think every boat that came last year is making the trip back.  That says a lot!   The weather looks fantastic.  Mid 60's with breeze. 

Jim Sears with Keith M of Ullman from the west coast
Tac Boston with well, Tac Boston from Canada
Paul Zimm / Ben Pak'a from MA
David F from the south east coast
...  I think we have the US well covered.
Brad D from somewhere up there??   

Should be a nice show-down.  The fleet is very evenly matched.  But the real contest happens off the water.   To recap 2011...

Peter Beardsley

Carbon mast bracket is for me unless someone else requested it.  We can settle up in Charleston. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

David Furna

I want the bunks.....if no one else requested them.

Dave

Greg Rubin

We are happy to announce that BeerFeast, a local New Orleans Bar has just signed on as a sponsor for MGRW. They have made the bar, and balcony on Bourbon St. available to sailors starting Mardi Gras Weekend, and continuing through the regatta. If you are coming down early swing by New Orleans Yacht Club to get your free wrist band for admittance, and half off all drinks. Beerfeast by the way is the home of, and only place I know of a eight person beer bong... Just begging for drinking contests between viper crews.

In addition Hotel Storyville is providing six kegs of free beer for competitors over the regatta, and my club manager has threatened mewith bodily harm if it isnt all drunk before the end of the regatta, so I am counting on you guys to keep me out of trouble.

By the way for those coming down for Mardi Gras, Beerfeasts balcony is over Bourbon street, so bring lots of beads.

Jeff Jones

Greg, are you a member of our facebook group?   If not, i need to get you signed up.

Sounds like you guys really have things lined up..  first you sign Audi of New Orleans up as a sponsor, now this?   

Dont know if momma will let me sneak down early but I can only imagine this spot on Tuesday night.

Greg Rubin

I am not Jeff, but sign me up.

Right now the weather reports shows tempraturesin the high 60's and low 70's with 7-10kn coming from the shore... flat water, reasonable wind, warm tempratures, sunny skies, and lots of beer... you guys are going to have a miserable time.

Greg Rubin

I wanted to add, we have cleared it with the marine, all empty slips will he available free of charge for the regatta participants, though we do have an area in mind to have a snake pit, but it will involve rafting up. So skippers choice on where to park.

We are also happy to announce that Hotel Storyville has donated 6 kegs for post race libations. However my club manager promises me bodily harm if there is one left at the end of the regatta. Therefore I am counting on you guys to make sure I don't get gutted post regatta.

Greg
MGRW Chairman
504-251-2588

Greg Rubin

Wednesday evening Hotel Storyville, one of our MGRW sponsors, is hosting a party to welcome all our competitors, and volunteers for the regatta. Come on out and enjoy the live music, great food, good drinks, general madness, and fun that will be our first um... Organized... Event for MGRW.

6:30pm Wen 22
1261 Esplanade Ave

Tim Carter

Any news, lies or liver transplants out of NOLA yet??
Lt Coast Gov

Dave Nickerson

Heard sailing was pretty much blown out today.  Nothing more...
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Brad Robbins

Wind 30+ knots made practice impossible (or at least unlikely), but socializing with other Viper sailors has been great. 

Tomorrow is predicted to be 20+ knots and if you know how sailing in Lake Pontchartrain works a north wind brings big swells and chop.  Should be fun!

22 boats are signed up from across the country and at least 16 are rigged and ready to go as of this evening.

Racing starts at 11 tomorrow.  Partying never stops!  Wish you were here.

Brad Robbins
#134 Catapult
Houston, Tx