West Coast Circut 2010

Started by Tim Carter, July 06, 2009, 05:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Harper

Quote from: Timbo on August 25, 2009, 03:44:08 PM
Quote from: BoomSlang on July 28, 2009, 11:54:14 AM
Regarding August....the Richmond Yacht Club host the Sarcoma Cup in August. GREAT venue...GREAT cause.

Hey 'Slang baby, still recomend the "Sarcoma Cup" as a regular westie event? ;)

Let's have a few spare rigs sitting around....

and not send anyone home in a "coma"  :)

Yeah, I'm a dumbass, no doubt. Wrong end of the Viper learning curve. I sail by that buoy 4-6 days a week. Murphys Cascade...I hate that guy!

I ABSOLUTELY think this should be a regular West Coast Event. They do an awesome job of setting up this regatta....great PRO/RC, great parties, cheap entry fee ($1.25/ft) and overall a wonderful experience for us.

We had SO much fun on the deep water course on Saturday, at least up until the breeze topped 30. Then our collective backs just got tired and the margaritas and massages sounded too good. Yup, massages...they had 3 ladies with those funky little chairs rubbing you down right on the docks with drinks in hand !!

Two best things during the day were the faces of the Open 5.70 and Olson 30 guys as we blasted by them and the firehouse reach back to the club...16.7 white sails only.

I learned a ton on how to race the Viper to a 96 in the Bay Area. I'll do better in the future, I promise.

Regarding rigs...I'm hoping to, once the economy heals up a bit, be able to inventory a spare Rig on the West Coast. I have to make some money to do so and, well, that's not been very easy this year.

I'm trying hard to get a rig here in time for SA Worlds but reality is it's not likely. If I miss it, you guys have loads-o-fun. Hopefully they'll do this regatta again next year.

Let's get working on the West Coast Circuit soon!

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Tim Carter

Hey Folks,
The Anarchy I.S.A.F. gathering is this weekend... I think there may have been some attrition, but show hands, who's coming?

I will arrive Fri A.M. for some water time beforehand, bringing #33....  If we can get a quorum of lefties, how about closing the loop on the "Tour de Cali" circuit...

Jan-Leukemia Cup / AZ
Mar-NOOD / SD
June-LBRW / LB
July-HS / Huntington Lake
Aup-Sarcoma Cup / SF ??
Sept-Oct / ISAF vs.#2 ??
Or ????

Timbo
Lt Coast Gov

Greg Jackson

From AZ that I know of still are;

Me (Greg Jackson)
Laurent Dion
Tony Chapman
John Ridell

There might be a few more, but this is all I can confirm...

Laurent Dion

I think Dennis Martinelli is bringing #72 as well , So we have #21, #31, #46, #71 and #72 from AZ.
Luce And I (laurent) will arrive friday AM as well to set the boat and practice a bit.
BTW, if anyone is interested , I need crew (light preferably!).
Laurent

Drew Harper

New rig is here and I'm screwing on parts as we speak.

We'll head down 0-dark-thirty Friday morning in hopes of a bit of a practice Friday evening before slumming it up at the club :-))

Brian Bennett is showing up and will race with Tony and Stacey...game on!

Drew Harper

The East coast Guys are going to press soon and need to know what we're up to.

Let's chime in a get this on paper.

January 15-17  Leukemia Cup - Phx, AZ

March ???  San Diego Noods - SD, CA

June 25-27 Long Beach Race Week. ABYC and LBYC, Long Beach, CA

July 17-18 High Sierra Regatta, Huntington Lake, CA  (we should have a sportboat race on Friday. I know the U20's and possibly the Open 5.70's will come)

Sept ??? usually second weekend.,  Leukemia Cup - San Francisco Yacht Club, Tiburon, CA

Sept ??? Sailing Anarchy Sprotboat Regatta. We'd need to get Scot to declare his intentions on this...not easily done with him. I hope he decides to run it again. Was good for everything sporty.

It's a good mix of events and nothing too cramped in other than High Sierra, which personally I hope to never miss in my life.

Timbo thought we may want more events and there's a natural in San Francisco, the Sarcoma Cup, middle August. Yes this is the infamous race for us...hell, we can print up some t-shirts saying "I survived the swim TO Alcatraz."

Let's get this nailed down folks.

Greg Jackson

I'm in favor of a six race series. That being said, every other month makes sense for work and finances. I know that we probably can't easily organise something like that though...

I do realise, Drew, that you did plan the Northern regattas close in time to each other. So that makes sense if we can leave boats up there.

Gotta go. I'll put more thoughts into this later...

heroin

Laurent Dion

Yes let's move foward and finalize 2010 . Let's put it for vote:
To all the West Coast Viper skippers,
I propose for 2010

1 - B'Day regatta - Phoenix -  Jan
2 - NOOD - San Diego -  Mar
3 - LBRW - ABYC Long beach -  Jun
4 - HSR - Fresno Yacht Club -  -Jul
5 - Sarcoma Cup - SF - Aug
6 - SA Sport boat festival - TBA - sep ? (back-up turkey race ABYC - nov)

Please reply by yes or no.

For 2009 " pre run" West Coast Circuit , I am putting the final score together
to attribute the virtual "Yellow Kite" ! Stay tuned.

Drew Harper

Quote from: heroin on September 28, 2009, 10:39:48 PM
I'm in favor of a six race series. That being said, every other month makes sense for work and finances. I know that we probably can't easily organise something like that though...

I do realise, Drew, that you did plan the Northern regattas close in time to each other. So that makes sense if we can leave boats up there.

Gotta go. I'll put more thoughts into this later...

heroin

Yeah Greg, my thought was once the boats were at Huntington, either rent space there in the lot and pick them up on the way, or for those who want to sail some breeze, there's 20+ races held July through August on the Bay. Treasure Island sailing center nearly always has some space. $110/month and very centrally located in the Bay.

Just a thought.

I've spoken to Jeff Jones in Texas and it seems likely we can rally him and Felipe to get out of the desert heat along with you guys and sail West Coast Circuit this year...finances allowing.

We should all put on our hats to keep this as affordable as possible. As a start, I can easily put up two or three viper teams when in SF aboard boats in my fleet. You gotta bring a sleeping bag but I tell you, there's not many better spots in SF than at the harbor.

Drew Harper

Quote from: flolod on September 28, 2009, 11:35:34 PM
I propose for 2010

YES

Ike van Cruyningen

I'll vote for this!

Quote from: BoomSlang on September 29, 2009, 01:29:42 AM
I propose for 2010

YES

Greg Jackson

I propose for 2010

Sounds good to me...

Jeffrey Young

Yes.
Firm dates to block off on the calender for the early races would be helpful.
Is the Leukemia Cup and the B'day regatta in Phoenix one and the same?

Greg Jackson

Yes they are. January 16th and 17th with a sperate event on the 15th for those interested...

The 18th is MLK day to ease the drive back home.

Drew Harper

I think we should turn the Jan event in Phx into the official West Coast Mid-Winter Championship. It'll be good for the West Coast Viper Class, Good for the AYC and good for the Leukemia Cup. should give us some press.

I want to build the AZ fleet. Gotta get some people off the Bucs and Merits and on Vipes!

We should make Long Beach the official Pacific Coast Championships. Once again, very press worthy and will go along way to building the SoCal fleet.

Having just sailed the Viper in San Diego, I can't imagine a better boat for that local. There's should be 50 boats in that area alone. Was a huge amount of fun smoking the Open 6.50 to the weather mark a couple of times. Was equally refreshing to see the boat perform so well over the Open 5.7 and the U20.

The East Coast press machine will get West coast circuit included into Sailing World, Sail Mag, etc. We should all take every opportunity to get the WC Circuit into every publication out here.

Thanks for all you help !!