Southeast/Gulf Winter Vipering

Started by Dan Tucker, June 29, 2011, 01:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you prefer/attend multiple events in 1 location or multiple locations?

One location, less travel.
5 (16.7%)
Multiple locations, I love new places
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Dan Tucker

So, the never ending debate about winter sailing continues... The real question is, do we want to leave our boats in 1 location for 3 of 4 regattas, or travel for all four?

The Exec Committee is likely to consider essentially two options. Either will include Bacardi Miami and Charleston plus two others. We'll choose something like one of these two to promote as the Class sanctioned regattas, which we will promote:

1. Two additional regattas in Miami, plus Bacardi, then on to Charleston. We'll work out storage for boats between events.

2. Something like: Houston, Mardi Gras, Bacardi & Charleston.

Obviously, you can sail wherever and and whenever you like, but it's better if we're mostly on the same page, and turning out more boats.

Please let us know what you think (which rarely requires encouragement!), though this is informational, not a binding vote....

Race it like you stole it.

Jeff Jones

Also consider that moving to different venues may encourage participation of a local viper at a regatta near you.  Sarnia got some very press after Brad came down to MGRW last year.   

Not to mention sailing against new people is another draw.     

I think you could probably pay someone to drive your boat from Houston - New Orleans - Miami - Charleston for what it would cost to leave the boat in Miami for three regatta's. 

Tim Carter

I like the idea of Houston to Charleston by way of the French Quarter and South Beach....
Lt Coast Gov

Steve LeMay

With the time we had at MARDI GRAS last year, I highly encourage this stop to be included. You will not find a better venue and drinking platform.

Troy Gilbert

I will tell you this, New Orleans YC has already invested in some new infrastructure for MGRW and this includes a total rebuilding and extension of our floating docks and piers. Also the re-construction of our building and grounds should also be complete by then - progressing nicely finally.

Hope to have you guys back down big time in 2012 (February 22 ? 26).

Jeff Jones

Walking into the clubhouse (which is basically a giant bar) last year before the skippers meeting to see Troy and crew with multiple shots lined up warmed my heart (and my liver).

And to add;  we can most likely help anyone who leaves their rig (car and trailer) in Houston get it to New Orleans.  That would save almost a day off work.    Storage in Houston - not an issue, probably the same in New Orleans.

Simon Thomas

New Orleans YC and Houston YC  [HYC] have really stepped up to the plate and made everyone welcome at their events. Plus, I'm more likely to get my crew interested in multiple locations rather than return trips.   

Brad Robbins

As another Texas boat, I totally support a Houston stop and MGRW.  Multiple stops a big plus to my crew.

Brad
#134 - Catapult

Kevin Blank

Being right across the lake from New Orleans YC, I'm a little biased...  But I want to see more Vipers on the Gulf Coast.  Some people aren't going to be able to find the time to revisit the same sailing location 2 or 3 times.  And if they do, it's going to be the same group over and over again.  By moving locations, new people will be exposed to the class and those Viper types who can't afford to travel far get a chance to race.  I know personally, I can't make Miami, especially more than once in a year.  But I can drive to Houston, Dallas or Atlanta...

I really like the idea of giving Viper demos the day before racing for any larger event we do.  It's great for building more interest in the boat and class.

Tim Carter

I also think a rolling Viper tour through the Gulf Coast will really give the GYA folks something to sink their teeth into...  they are looking for a replacement for the Flying Snott....
Lt Coast Gov

Phillip Davis

Make mine a Mardi Gras, por favor.  Ya come down to Texas, hear?

Jay Harrell

I like the idea of a tour-de-GYA - nice locations.  NOLA was great this year, as was Fort Walton.    For me, Houston is farther away than Sarnia and even two hours farther than Miami.  I'd like to do Houston, but it will be a big trip when I go there.

Brad Robbins

I think Fort Walton should be a consideration.  Sounds like a great regatta venue and we would like to go there in 2012.   

To complicate this a bit more , Mauri Sailing's Corpus regatta was an awesome event this year.  However, it needs more PR and it conflicted with Fort Walton.  How do we fit this in to the schedule?  I think it is scheduled for the week after Mother's Day in 2012.

Brad
#134 Catapult
Houston

Brad Robbins

Let's add another idea - Lake Lewisville.  We used the Dallas Leukemia Regatta  in May as a Texas Viper circuit stop and it was great.  Super venue, great people and the RC did a superb job.   

I suggest we add a layover day so we can sail up to Party Cove and socialize.  Check it out on Google :)

Brad
#134  Catapult
Houston

Jeff Coe

Houston would be a great place for a Viper regatta.  Great wind, warm water, and its easy to get to.  Lots of Viper interest here, and we pull boats from all over Texas.