Southeast/Gulf Winter Vipering

Started by Dan Tucker, June 29, 2011, 01:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you prefer/attend multiple events in 1 location or multiple locations?

One location, less travel.
5 (16.7%)
Multiple locations, I love new places
25 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Sheldon Schroeder

One of the interesting aspects of the Viper class is that it seems to be developning both a grassroots identity and the persona of a polished international class at the same time. 
I suspect the grassroots appeal is due to the unique class ownership and relatively low cost of entry for one design sailing. 
Class leadership has done a fantastic job of recruiting an international sponsor and geograpically spreading the focus events as much as possible to create an international flavor in North America.

I think it is vitally important that we keep growing the persona of the class as both a grassroots and international appeal.  In a sport that has been shrinking in participation for several years our class currently enjoys this broad appeal. 

An annual regional event in the Midwest / Great Lakes and on the Western Gulf Coast (Louisiana / Texas) are just as important as an annual East and West coast event.  Three regattas particularly at a venue so geographically remote as Miami will be a challenge to maintaining growth of the grassroots appeal. 

David Furna

I voted for the travelling scene, but after thinking about the logistics of it all, would rather see a multi date series in one location. Say for winter 2012 we do Fort Walton? Winter 2013 Houston?

Just easier to buy a bunch of plane tickets to one place (that has future Viper potential) and pick a new place each winter.

My 2 cents

Dave