CHarleston 2011

Started by David Furna, December 28, 2010, 10:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Furna

Could it be the biggest sportboat fleet ever in Charleston Harbor? They have 73 total entries and the Melges 24's have 20 plus.....Hope we can put 30 on the line. We got 6 so far.

Jeff Jones

I'd say 50 would be a better goal David, and not unrealistic. 

We have a nice group from Texas looking at CRW on the heels of Mardi Gras Race Week (March in New Orleans).  In fact, there's a container set to deliver just before the event and if it makes landfall in good order i'd bet at least 3 of those will be in Charleston.

David Furna

I think we need to arrange an official "Viper Party" or something. We can take over RED's over on Shem creek. It's a great regatta, one of my favorites.  Really like to have the largest fleet.....battle flags flying!!  50 better put us back on the cover of Sailing World...what's Dave Reed's #?

Craig Wilusz

Craig and Deborah on #100 Ice Melted registered.  that makes 8 Viper 640's as of 1/08/11.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Furna

The J-22's are responding well to their first year invitation. We are at 9, but I know that is temporary.

This should be the busiest harbor in CRW history...

There are some interesting PHRF Sportboats entered too......Pete Hunter on Wairere has won many events and should be a favorite. He's a NC guy that needs to try a Viper out...maybe he can keep up with Brad and Guggs.

Jeff Jones

We're going to register soon, already have a couple of rooms reserved at the resort. 

It does look like the harbor is going to be busy.  If we show up with 50 vipers and all the other fleets show big...  might be interesting.  There was talk on the S.A. Jboat's board about the 22's being put on our course.  I hope those guys are wrong.   Be better to put the 24's with us and the M20's with the J22's.

David Furna

There are a couple of people looking to Charter Vipers for CRW. Anyone interested let me know and I'll get you the info.

disclaimer- these guys are very good and will make your boat go faster than it's ever gone....so you can't blame your boat for poor results anymore! that's why I don't charter 55!

Jeff Jones

Have them contact me David.   Typically, what do charters go for at an event like this?

David Furna

I'll send em your info Jeff. I don't know what the going rate is, but there seems to be people always asking for them.

Justin Scott

Charters for CRW go for $1500 to $2000......depends a bit on sails.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dave Nickerson

Early registration ends Monday 1/31.  $50 discount.  Let's get some more boats on the scratch sheet.  M24's are at 30!
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Drew Harper

This is TRULY a bucket list regatta !!
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Matt Sole

So 14 have registered, it took us a while to get there. So where are the other 30 or so who should be signing up?
Friends don't let friends miss Vipering in Charleston.... ;-)
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Pat Gibson

This will be our first time to CRW.  As the fleet materializes will the organizer provide us an area in the harbor to keep the boats grouped together?

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Pat Gibson on January 31, 2011, 10:02:52 AM

This will be our first time to CRW.  As the fleet materializes will the organizer provide us an area in the harbor to keep the boats grouped together?

Last year (my first there) there were two options:  free dockage was WAAAAY down at the far end of the enormous marina, prob. about 1/4+ mile walk on the dock.  (wow!)  There was plenty of room, but all manners of boats were there and first come first serve.

Also, one can rent slips which are much closer.  They were pretty big and I think each could hold up to 6 Vipers. I think a couple of those were in fact rented as such.  

Here's the thread from last year:  http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?topic=545.0

Looks like it was ~$2/ft per night, so call it 60ft (by three long by two wide, 6 boats), or $20/boat/night

If we coordinate, it'd be great to have the whole fleet basically in one place.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)