CHarleston 2011

Started by David Furna, December 28, 2010, 10:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Bleck

"Viper Pit" update:

I've been in touch with the marina staff, and there are two options.

One is that they can give us one complete section of the free dockage, way down on near the aircraft carrier.

However, I told them we really wanted to be closer to the action and didn't want to hike so far, so they're looking at giving us a bulk price for say 4-6 of the 66' slips together on the first or second pier.  Those will cost something, and it'll be handled though us.  i.e. they  want a lump payment from us instead of dealing with each individual.

I figure we can put at least 6 boats in each slip.  Does anyone know for sure?

I don't mind handling it, so barring a better options, what I'll do when I get a price is set up an online payment thing or people can send me checks. 

Lastly, we should round up Viper flags and swag, etc. to "decorate".

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Matt Rowlinson

Thanks Olaf--CAN 70 would like a berth in the 'pit'

Jay Harrell

Ya'll do realize that there is not Viper Pit unless and until someone (not me) steps up and organizes one, right?

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Jay Harrell on February 09, 2011, 12:49:11 PM

Ya'll do realize that there is not Viper Pit unless and until someone (not me) steps up and organizes one, right?

I'll do it.

The key to successful organizing though is delegation.  Jay, you'll be in charge of lining up a couple of kegs. :-) 

Something with a snake-like cache perhaps?

Jeff Jones

Thanks Olaf.  If memory serves from 2009 we can get 6 boat's in a slip..  there might be some pictures floating around, or a better memory.

If you can score large slips on the first pier that would be preferable.  The battle-ship is a serious hike (especially after day of 25 knot's on the river). 

I'd recomend notifying all the registered boat's and making sure everyone pays up before the event.  In 09' it was crazy.. dock master chasing people down for money.   Pretty random.   I'll predict you'll have twenty boat's pay up and reserve a spot, and then Thursday afternoon another 15 show up asking if they can get in the slips.

You have my email - put me on the list and let me know as soon as you know a $$ per boat. 

add- glad your on this.  We have almost as many M20's registered as we do vipers...  a ton of M24's, J80's and now J22's.  all of which will be looking for dock space.   If we book those slips i wonder if the dockmaster can put a sign in them "reserved for Viper 640's".   

Tac Boston

I think last year we had like 10 boats a 60' slip. We had them jammed in there to keep the cost down!

Craig Wilusz

Jeff has a good point( I can't belive I jsut said that).  Lets get the money together ahead of time.  Get the check to the dockmaster ahead of time.  And we are in.

Who wants to take point?  Someone who had been there before I hope.

Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jeff Jones

You missed it Craig - Olaf is the grand-master of Charleston dockage.

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on February 09, 2011, 04:55:26 PM
Jeff has a good point( I can't belive I jsut said that).  Lets get the money together ahead of time.  Get the check to the dockmaster ahead of time.  And we are in.

Who wants to take point?  Someone who had been there before I hope.

Olaf Bleck

Grand Master of Dockage here.

They way this is going to work is that I'll set up an online payment thing, and to get a slot you'll either need to pay online or send me a check.  We'll get an option on a slip for stragglers, but it'll be limited.

I'll figure out the price, and if people want, maybe we can include some extras like beer at the dock, etc.  They ABSOLUTELY do not want to deal with everyone individually, so if you're going to CRW, it'll be the free space (loooooonnnnnngggg hike) or the Viper Pit for a few bucks.  I'm hoping it'll be it'll be under $50/boat.

Quote from: Jeff Jones on February 09, 2011, 04:21:09 PM

If we book those slips i wonder if the dockmaster can put a sign in them "reserved for Viper 640's".  

Yes, he's on it.  He likes the idea.   His one request (aside from lump payment) is that we stagger the arrivals each day to avoid a viper-jam.

Quote from: Tac Boston on February 09, 2011, 04:35:42 PM

I think last year we had like 10 boats a 60' slip. We had them jammed in there to keep the cost down!

Tac, are you sure about this?   I'm trying to find out how wide they are.  I can see nine fitting with any decent width.  They are 66'long x ?? wide.

Anyway, as soon as I hear back from the dockmaster on the price, I'll set it up.

ADDITIONALLY:  I think we should get a bunch of Viper "stuff" to decorate the Pit a bit. Does anyone have some of those "blade" flags?  I saw some Viper ones in a somewhat older you-tube video.  Also, one of those flailing inflatable men would be cool.  And battle flags.  Any other ideas?

Matt Sole

After last years nightmare, these are the things I would like to see happen;

1. All Vipers register with Olaf before hand. If three boats would like to go together it can be arranged beforehand.

2. Olaf has all transactions cleared in his account at least one week ahead of time.

3. All the double slips are next to each other or boats are on double slips either side of the main dock. The latter may be more preferable. For a more community feel.

4. All boats are assigned their slip and it is strictly adhered to.

5. Upon arrival at the slip, a small card has the name of the boat and their slip assignment on it.

6. In the marina fees, Olaf should build in a fund for tipping the marina staff for letting us make it happen. The fund should also include a keg fund if allowed by the marina.

7. Olaf should contact the organisers as the Viper point man and liaise on all class matters. The first issue would be to point out that a 10ft inflatable with 10hp is much more useful to assist Vipers out of the pit and get them under way than two 20ft hard boats with 90hp engines.
We may want to organise our own tender for this duty.

8. Olaf should get a free slip for putting in all the effort!
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Jeff Jones

Matt.... On all points, nice... Especially no 8.

I think he needs an unemployed boat captain as a personal assist. 

Keg on the dock by the viper pit would be epic..  Reckon we could probably get out builder to spring? I'll volunteer to tender that task if possible.  Paul and I are tight.  Report back on that by Monday.

Matt Sole

Sweet Jeff!

One thing though. Non of this bud light crap.

Lets try and get a Local brewery to provide us (on the cheap) with a damn good beer. Something we would all look forward to after an awesome day of sailing.

I believe Coast brewing company has some impressive IPA's ........
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

David Furna

Definately do 6 a slip. I don't want to be rafted up and don't want anyone rafted up to me.... 3 boats on each side of the finger piers is tight enough.

I'll pay Olaf in Miami so 55 gets a spot.  Get er done!

Jeff Jones

Oh, now we're going to get PICKY about what kind of free beer we're drinking  ;-)

Wonder if i can find a keg of Lone Star in Charleston.

Quote from: Matt Sole on February 09, 2011, 11:10:28 PM
Sweet Jeff!

One thing though. Non of this bud light crap.

Lets try and get a Local brewery to provide us (on the cheap) with a damn good beer. Something we would all look forward to after an awesome day of sailing.

I believe Coast brewing company has some impressive IPA's ........

Olaf Bleck

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still waiting on a price, but I think this will come together just fine.

On the tender issue:  great suggestion.  I have an 11' rib that needs work, but I may be able to patch it up by then and bring it (should fit fine in the cockpit, come to think of it).  Does anyone have a rib or two more locally?

Also, I need a volunteer to be the beer meister.  That would involve selecting beer (Jay, maybe we need a poll here on what kind(s)...), getting it delivered, lining up some trash barrels and ice, and of course cups.

Local craft:
http://www.coastbrewing.com/
http://westbrookbrewing.com/
http://www.palmettobrewingco.com/
http://southendbrewery.com/

Also, a beer specialty store:
http://www.charlestonbeerexchange.com/

I also need a couple people to be videographers.  i.e. to bring some video cameras, always keep them handy, and just take tons of footage of whatever merriment.  If any friends or family want  to come too, maybe we can line up our own videoboat too with one of the ribs or such.