Southern Bay Race Week

Started by Michael Gravitt, November 22, 2010, 05:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Gravitt

Trying to spark interest in the Viper 640 in the Chesapeake Bay. June 10, 11 and 12 is Southern Bay Race Week.  The Regatta is sponsored by Goslings Rum, there are bands and dancing and also three days of racing.  Many people in the area are interested it getting Vipers  but so far I am the only one that has bought one.  I think if they see how close the racing is and see the boats in action more people will want a Viper.  We need five boats for a start and I am trying to see if anyone might be interested. The regatta is at Hampton Yacht Club. Hampton, Va. 

Doug Mroz

Yes, I would be interested. I dont think theres really any other regatta that time of year on the east coast. Can you get all the details to Jay so it can be posted on the website?

Michael Gravitt

I will get what info I can.  It is one of the best Regattas that I have been to. Great place to sail.

David Furna

I'll bring #55 up there. It's only 3hrs for me and my brother lives in Cheasapeake, so I got housing.

Gosling sponsorship is a good thing! Get all the information out that you can, we should be able to get 5 boats. Maybe Mike can come down from Naptown.

http://www.hamptonyc.com/sbrw/

Olaf Bleck

The way to do this is to line up some storage for a couple months and catch the boats coming north from CRW.  Marblehead's season for example doesn't start until that some weekend, but I'd consider leaving my boat for those couple of months and coming back to sail and fetch her home.

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

David Furna

good idea Olaf. We need to find out what their ramp/crane situation is and what kind of dock/stagging area they have. You never know when 10-15 Vipers might show up....and when that happens, we like to have our own space.

Your in charge Mike, make it happen!

Dan Tucker

If storage could be arranged after Charleston, I could be interested...
Race it like you stole it.

Michael Gravitt

Hope this doesn't change anything... the dates are actually the 3rd, 4th, and 5th.  We have two cranes and I am sure that we can come up with storage but I will check. Once the PHRF boats are in they must stay in so we have full use of both cranes each day. Also there is a boat ramp right next door for those who might launch. I will stay in touch and give info as it comes in.  I f people are interested we will make this happen.  I'm sure no one will be disapointed. All interested please reply so I see how much storage we will need.

Michael Gravitt

Talking to the race PRO, Rooms are available at Crown Plaza Hotel (almost walking distance from HYC).  Last year the rooms were 99$ and included breakfast each morning.  We are working on storage and sure that will not be a problem.  Entry fee for the last few years has not changed. 140$ early registration and 155$ after that.  Last years flyer is still on the web to use as a reference.  The club is looking for a one design keel boat class  to form in this area and everyone will do what they can to get the boats here for all to take a look.  As people reply and I start to see how many boats are coming I can finalize the details of the storage arrangements. Contact me at [email protected].

David Furna

Bump>>>

Looks like we have a guaranteed 2, possible 5. I know it's a long way off, but anyone doing Charleston should take a look at adding this to your calender.

Help us out in the SE......I know it's the same weekend at the Detroit NOOD, but look at this way...Jackpot won't come, so we'll have a different winner!!

http://blacksealcup.com/

Michael Gravitt

Looks like this may slip by. Everyone take a look and Let me know if you are interested. I have to make sure that the storage is still available. Lots of people are interested but need folks to commit. I know you all will have a great time. It is in between races so come down and have some fun. Great parties and great racing. Three race coarses and four days of racing. give me a call, I even have room for a couple of teams at my house.  Chesapeake bay is a great place to sail with alot of history.

David Furna

Sending in my Registration today....looks like we may be the only Vipers to enter....so PHRF it is..

Looking forward to 3 days of racing after unfortunate weather in Charleston this year.

Michael Gravitt

To all;
Hope we can get some more participants. Sorry to say that they will not let us race PHRF for the regatta. If we do not have five boats to call a class they are not going to let us race. I'm sure we can get three more boats. The locals are looking forward to our our being here but the race is calling for a 4P rating. The one design PHRF gives us a 6P rating. Call everyone lets get the boats here. Several people are looking at these boats but have not seen them in action. This regatta will not disapoint.

Jay Harrell

Michael,  I'm so sorry I can't make it up this year.  It's a long haul from Atlanta, and the family schedule ended up with all sorts of conflicts that prevented us from building a longer family vacation around it.

David Furna

Mike is right, they will not allow us to race PHRF.

Big opportunity for SE Vipers lost..........Big

Lin is refunding my reg. fee, guess I'll do the Leukemia Cup down here on the Neuse.  Come on down Mike....Our PHRF of 90 sucks, but at least they let you go out and play.