Charleston Race Week REPORT

Started by Jay Harrell, April 16, 2011, 07:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Harrell

Friday saw 19 Vipers racing the middle inshore course.  Wind started about 15 and increased from there.  We shared a course with U20s and J80s.  After four races, results are very close: http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=407

Tac Boston

No racing today to much wind I guess.

Glenn Vanheel

F'ing Walker!

Jay Harrell

NOAA forecast for Saturday:

This Afternoon: SSW wind around 24 kt, with gusts as high as 37 kt. Showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 4pm. Some storms could be severe, with large hail and damaging winds.

A couple of us toured the Yorktown this morning - it felt like we were going to get blown off the flight deck.   Right now the sun is out and shining - hard to imagine we'll get sever storms in a couple hours.

Garrett Johns

"The Charleston Race Week Trophy, which is awarded annually to the skipper who wins in the most competitive one-design class was presented to Brad Boston and his Viper 640 crew from Point Edward, Ontario, Canada"

Nice work guys! This regatta is on my bucket list for sure. Congrats for the award but what is even more cool is that, on a big national stage with several other 20ish sportboats (that will remain nameless), they named the Viper class the "most competitive".
USA 129
Anacortes WA

Tim Carter

Good Job Brad!!!

I seem to recall that he was on a Viper last year in Long Beach and also won the "Most Competive One design" award.   Just can't slow that guy down...   :)

Lt Coast Gov

Justin Scott

There are several Rule 14 protests outstanding vs Brad from the second day of racing.

Not as much sailboat racing as we usually get at Charleston, but it really was a great fun weekend. Charleston is a great town to take a day off from sailing. We ate and drank at some great spots, visited cool down town, stunning low country scenery on other side of Mt Pleasant, and of course the Kart racing.  When we get pics, we will post a fuller report.

Racing was close. Dave, Moise and George did an incredible job. In first place going into the last race, they were launched in the early part of the race and they were winning the regatta halfway up the last windward beat. But its Chucktown, where anything can happen and it did.
Tasselar and Willmot launched their new boat on Thursday night and won two races on Friday, and but for a headstay pin coming away at the start of 4th race, they would have been a contender (5 races and no discard meant they had to count a DNS). Ethan Bixby and Dave were right there but for a difficult race where they were using one halyard for both jib and spinnaker. Brad and Eric won due to fantasic consistency. We are at a level now, where you win a major regatta without winning a single race, by staying in top 5. 
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Brad Boston

Hey Everyone,

What a great time Charleston was this year.

Friday was a near perfect Viper day with breeze up to 16 knots. Unfortunately we did not get to sail on Saturday but we sure made up for it on the Go Carts.....Sunday was not the best day of racing as it was shifty in a dying breeze but the RC managed to get off one race.

It was great seeing everyone and having the closest racing we have done in the Viper. The fleet is really getting good so this is going to be an awesome summer with all the regattas lined up.

You know that is a great class when the Viper can Charleston  boat of the week for two years in a row!

I really look forward to seeing everyone at the next couple regattas.

Brad
Jackpot 119

Doyle Boston Sailmakers
[email protected]
(519) 344-5236

Michael Gravitt

Will not let us open this video it has a password.

Greg Jackson

Ben Jacobsen

ugh, sorry.  It was the scuttlebutt video I think?