Coral Reef Cup -Please Come to Biscayne Bay March 20-22

Started by Dan Tucker, December 04, 2008, 01:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Tucker

Thanks to all who are coming to the ACC's in Charleston. Thirty boats is a tremendous accomplishment for the class. Simply fantastic.

If you'd like a warm-up regatta, please come to Miami, to the Coral Reef Cup, March 20-22. It's hosted by the Coral Reef YC, and Biscayne Bay is simply a fantastic place to sail. Stuart Hebb, one of our newest and most enthusiastic Viper owner in Miami, is hot after us to get some boats on the line. There are 3 or 4 Vipers being delivered to Miami in February. The fledgling Miami Viper Fleet wants to make a showing at this event to really launch the fleet, generate some excitement for the Viper and sell some more boats to build their fleet. I'm in, and I expect Justin and Brian Bennett will be as well. That should get us to 6 or seven to start. 20 Vipers would be great!

If you've sailed on Biscayne Bay, you know that it's close to sailing heaven -warm blue water, reliable breeze and reliably sunny. If you haven't sailed there, you'll love it! A perfect escape for us pale and cold northern sailors. It will also be a great warm-up for the ACC's in Charleston.

We're working on arranging storage options in Miami, for those planning on going to St. Pete, so you can leave your boat in Miami in between. The US Sailing Center is right next door, and Shake-a-Leg Miami can store boats too. After the Coral Reef Cup regatta, you can drop your boat in Charleston on the way back north. Email [email protected] now, they have 19 free spaces available in Charleston right now, I've already got my name on the list.

This will clearly be THE top stop on the Viper Winter Circuit in years to come. No official sign up or NOR yet, we're just looking for verbal commitments. Please join us for the inaugural Biscayne Bay Viper 640 regatta!
Race it like you stole it.

Dan Tucker

Jason Weisberg

I'm going straight there from ST. Pete.  Be sailing on the bay by Tuesday afternoon.

Jason

John Porter

Cool Beans is in.  IS there anyway to update the website (I know a new version is coming) to show a list of who's going to what regatta. 

Being able to SEE the Charleston list helped generate excitement and early commitments.  We should try to incorporate this into the new website to help all see who's going to what regattas.

JP
cool beans - Viper 26

Dan Tucker

This is great gang! I think we're probably at 9 or 10 for this regatta already. I just saw the draft NOR and registration. We'll put that up on the current site as soon as the final version is released.

I was hoping to have the new Viper site live by now, but I've been busy with work and family stuff.  It's at about 75%, but not quite ready for prime time. Soon, I promise! The new site will have a way to "register" yourself for a regatta on the schedule than may not have an online registration list. It won't be official, but it will be able to show who's going. We realize how important that is in driving regatta attendance.

Adding that particular but of functionality prompted a back end upgrade, which prompted a redesign, which prompted a content overhaul, which prompted a bunch of new content, which all means we THINK you'll be pretty impressed when we launch it. It also means it turned into a bit more work that originally expected!

Dan

Alan Block

Guys,

Your Miami regatta looks excellent.  I am trying to put together yet another sportboat regatta in Florida for the month of March - designed to be a dirt cheap recession-buster and sponsored in large part by Sailing Anarchy.

This regatta would be in Fort Pierce, entry fees will be nearly nonexistent, the racing is on the open ocean, and the parties will be remembered for a long time.  THe intent is to replace Miami Race Week for size and popularity, and a tiny fraction of the price.  All boats will be moored at the hotel, which is big and inexpensive and has two pools and a bar/grill.  Would anyone who is doing this regatta bring their boats to Ft. Pierce for the Sailing Anarchy Cheap-Ass Regatta for Sportboats (SA CHARS) on say the weekend before the Miami event?  Two day only, spend less than you would at home...

I think the Melges fleet will buy in because there is nothing else to do in March, would love to see some Vipers and maybe a small mixed M20/U20/Laser fleet to something.  The party alone would be worth it.

Dan Tucker

It sounds like it could be a cool regatta. IF I could turn the time in between into a business trip in the Miami area and stay down there, I might be willing to do it. It's all a bit much travel otherwise.

Dan Tucker

NOR and entry form Coral Reef Cup for the are now available.

Please chime in here if you're planning on coming!

Justin Scott

Dr Who and the Daleks are definitely  "IN". 

Sailing on Biscayne Bay is a dress rehearsal for heaven.

I have also had a request from a group in Bermuda to charter my other boat. I've said I'm willing to do this. If ANYONE else wants to CHARTER out their boat for Miami, St Pete or CRW please could they let Brian or myself know. People want to do these regattas and will pay a fair charter. We want as many boats out there as we can find so please consider it.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Chris Shaughnessy

Justin, I will get in touch with you shortly re chartering my hopefully soon to be delivered boat.
Just need to check in with Paul monday or tuesday get latest delivery schedule.   

Dan Tucker

Hey all!

Just a reminder that the late entry fee kicks in in your entry in not received in Miami by January 31, so get your entries in NOW! I can't imagine a YC in Miami needs that extra money more than any Viper sailor does, so why give it to 'em?!?  :)

Right now it looks like 10-12 boats from the commitments we have above. Anyone else interested? My wife is racing on Biscayne Bay THIS WEEK while it's in the teens here in Marblehead, and they're talking about 8-12 inches of snow.

I WANNA GO TO MIAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I'm not the only one  :)

Justin Scott

Daniel....

Please can you post your list of who you think is coming so we get a good fix on numbers. I believe that we are at 13!!

Cheers

J
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee