Coral Reef Cup -Please Come to Biscayne Bay March 20-22

Started by Dan Tucker, December 04, 2008, 01:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Scott

Home made?

Hey guys, what are plans for Thursday night? South Beach?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Mark Cribbs

Jonathan Nye

Quote from: Justin on March 05, 2009, 09:18:03 PM
Home made?

Hey guys, what are plans for Thursday night? South Beach?
Absolutely home made. The dough and the sauce get started several days in advance. Several pies will be ready by the time folks arrive and more will be made continuously. It's quite a production.

Dan Tucker

I just heard that we have 13 Vipers registered for the Coral Reef Cup. That's 1-2 MORE than expected as of a few days ago. Fantastic for a 1st year event! Anyone else on the fence, come on down! It would be great to have 15+ Vipers showing off for the locals  ;)

Blue water, warm, homemade pizza Friday night, pretty sure there will be rum...

It's snowing again in Marblehead, can I leave now?
Race it like you stole it.

Jonathan Nye

Quote from: jnye on March 05, 2009, 06:02:43 PM
For those attending, don't make plans for Friday night. Plans are underway for dinner at a nearby residence featuring the best home made pizza you've ever had.  Details to follow.
Jonathan
Pizza party has to be scrubbed since Friday night is now the dinner at CRYC and Saturday is unavailable. May still do drinks after Friday's dinner if there is interest.
Jonathan

Gary Umberger

Quote from: Dan-T on March 09, 2009, 09:39:58 AM
I just heard that we have 13 Vipers registered for the Coral Reef Cup. That's 1-2 MORE than expected as of a few days ago. Fantastic for a 1st year event! Anyone else on the fence, come on down! It would be great to have 15+ Vipers showing off for the locals  ;)

Hey Dan, USA #91 paricipating. Staying @ La Quinta Airport (LaJune Rd.) I hope it is a safe area. $85.00 a night.
By the way could you post the latest list?

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Gary_91 on March 12, 2009, 11:15:10 AM
Quote from: Dan-T on March 09, 2009, 09:39:58 AM

Hey Dan, USA #91 paricipating. Staying @ La Quinta Airport (LaJune Rd.) I hope it is a safe area. $85.00 a night.
By the way could you post the latest list?

I'm a bit lost, not sure if you make us 12 or 14!

Stu Hebb #107 -New Miami fleet
Dr Clark # tbd -New Miami fleet
Dave Guggenheim #77
Jason Weisberg #82
John Porter #26
Jonathan Nye #94
Mike Meissner #73
Somer Kempe #54
Justin Scott/ Jeff Lee #86
Dan Tucker/Antonio Vidal #50
Kay Van Valkenburg/ David Eve.
Gary #91

Gary Umberger

What happened to the third Miami fleet member? Send me an email if you want to ([email protected]).

Thanks,

Rory Stevens

Quote from: Gary_91 on March 12, 2009, 03:27:55 PM
What happened to the third Miami fleet member? Send me an email if you want to ([email protected]).

Thanks,

Good question, I am supposed to be crewing that boat and had not heard that we had pulled...perhaps something iam not yet aware of. I am newbie to Vipers and Miami (live locally) so anyone able to give me a go pre regatta I would be most grateful! These days I am more used to two hulls I am afraid, but looking forward to giving this a shot, looks like a blast.

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Gary_91 on March 12, 2009, 03:27:55 PM

Thanks,
Sailing with Justin. Honestly, I've been so busy I'm a bit off on details...

Dan Tucker

Per Stu Hebb:
"showing up from wed. on at cryc is cool for all the vipers. if you showed up the weekend before there would be a $150 charge. they had to put these measures in as alot of stars were squating for long periods of time.

for the regatta there is no storage fee but boats have to depart on monday after the regatta  at the latest to avoid the $150/week storage fee. they are pretty strict on this"

Gary Umberger

Hey everyone,

I want to thank everyone @ CRYC and Stu for arranging a great event for the Viper fleet, south Florida rules. The facility was grand, and the weather was worth writting home about. I would have to say that the the terquios water, waves, wind and pretty Viperettes made for a great series.

I would like to thank Rondar and Brian for attending the event and providing great input throughout the racing. It was an expensive weekend for me but I got to tell you I didnt really care (I'm still trying to explain everything to my wife). I think we need to have this one on the schedule for next year.

Kay, you may be happy to know that I'm installing a spare tire (Fender) on the front of the boat next year.

Lastly, it is a really good group of folks in this fleet and I really enjoyed everyones company. By the way, I'm trying to talk my wife into latino dancing lessons so I can participate next year @ the Mango Club (Dont laugh, I mean it). That was great entertainment!!!!

Let's see the pictures!!! I want to day dream a little bit.

Gary #91

Joe Sircely

Any word on why the rigs failed?  I have sailed mine in 25-30 kts on 3 occasions without incident so I know the rig can handle it.  My guess is that the mainsheet was out too far, but of course I don't know.  Where did they fail?
"dude- this thing is fast"

Gary Umberger

Dude, I have to tell you that you just needed to be in Miami. I have also sailed the boat in 30 knots of wind several times with gusts in the 35 knot range. However, I know that you have a good idea of wind shear and micro blast like this one because, in Texas, it has caused havoc with several plane wrecks.

This blast just dropped on David and me in a flash. The boat was planning @ 18 knots just before the hit, all the loads were lite, and I would have to say the wind was very similar to a squaw that causes the boat to maintain 5-10 knots with a bare stick.

If you need more details send me an email.

Gary

Gringo

Anyone know what the word is on the video that was shot at Coral Reef.... Vipers in 20 kn would make for a great one....

Just curious....