Charleston Race Week 2010

Started by Jeff Jones, December 01, 2009, 12:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Jones

Looks like i have the honor of being the first viper registered.

Erik Eaves

I am also registered!!  This will be our third CRW in a Viper.

Lee Shuckerow

If anyone needs a crew or a driver I have a decent sailor from My home club who has that week off and wants to sail. If interested send me a message.
Jackpot  #235

Drew Harper

Raced CRW last year and would love to crew again. Have another guy (my 3, tactician) who's looking as well.

I'm 205, 6'3" and can hike hard. I know my way around the harbor and have a decent read on the rivers.

He's 145, 5'11" and can hike like a f'n star crew. Solid tactics and one of the best crew I've sailed with.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

David Furna

I've done CRW several times, but on boats with Motors........now sailing in and out of a slip can be a little tricky, BUT doing it at Patriots Point with their currents must be difficult. Do you think pulling a Viper out with a $150,00 Protector would be overkill?? Oh yea, we don't have one.......

Tell me the truth.....how tough is it to dock there?

Jeff Jones

It wasen't an issue last year - dont beat me in the last race and I'll promise to catch you when you get in.

Seriously, it's no problem getting to the slip.   Docking can be a little tricky.. boat's rafting to each other and such.   There were be a lot of friendly hands to help guide you in.

It's not an issue.

Lee Shuckerow

Sailing in and out of the Harbor is very easy and it's a very short sail to te race course. I will never sail a boat at charleston that needs a motor and sails out in the ocean. We are still sleeping at the hotel when the big boats are leaving the dock.
Remember the viper will rock pretty easily up to 4 knots as per our velocitek. The highest rocking speed we've had is up around 4.5 knots.
Jackpot  #235

David Furna

Good to know. Those currents really rip thru there.

I spent a couple years motoring out the channel to race and last year got to do the harbor on a j-80. Racing in the harbor forever now.

David Furna

12 Vipers and 12 Melges 24......who will have the biggest fleet?

2010 going to break attendance records again>

Ed Dodds

I sailed with White Snake on the J80 last year, and all I remember is looking at the 640 fleet and feeling extremely jealous!!  Looking forward to this year on a Viper!

Kelly Bechard

I just registered. We are up to 14 boats.

Dave Nickerson

Early registration discount extended to this Sunday, Jan 31!  Fifty bucks is, well, fifty bucks.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Fletcher

Just registered - we're up to 18. 

Two more days to get the early registration discount.
Viper 207 Back in Business

Lee Shuckerow

There are now 29 boats signed up! That is more than twice the number of Melges 20s and is the same amount of Melges 24s. Who will have the bigger fleet this year? I for one think it would be a momentum building regatta if we can get more boats than the 24.
My question is who wouldn't rather sail a comfortable boat rather than hiking your guts out in a boat that goes about the same speed?
There are a lot of crew available it looks like so if someone needs help with crew don't be shy. If there are any boats that are border line on whether or not they should go just remember this is the biggest regatta of the year!
Jackpot  #235

Bill Weinhold

Hey guys, Im crewing for white snake at crw, but my 18yo 176lb son needs a ride.  He has been on the viper once, but other boats lots.  He's listed on the CRW crew list, but hasn't gotten a ride yet.
WSYC