Bermuda International Invitational Race Week 2011 - May 1st-6th

Started by Somers Kempe, June 08, 2010, 04:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somers Kempe

Taking this discussion out of a SA thread, how many would be interested in a weeks sailing in Bermuda next spring? The 2010 regatta smoked breeze-wise all week, but usually we get a good mix of conditions in warm water and sunshine.  Racing is usually Sun, Mon, Tues - lay day Wed (beach time), then Thurs, Fri with a prizegiving on the Friday evening. We could do as many races as you wanted.

I have some pull with the Race Week committee, and would love to send some invites out to the Viper fleets... How many invites should I get ready? Take a look at the current event web site for photos, videos, etc... next years event will run basically along the same lines.

I am currently looking at logistics of shipping vipers from FL, and after the regatta ship it to NJ.  When I get some idea of costs, I'll update the thread.  From FL to BDA it will not be RO-RO, but from BDA to NJ it can be.  J105's used to do it a few years ago (and a few may do it in 2011).  I know some people and am sure if we get a group of boats there could be some deals cut on the costs.

PM me or post your thoughts.
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Somers Kempe

Ok - have the ocean freight rates.

From Fernandina Beach, FL to Bermuda for single stack Viper on trailer with rig stowed in the boat:
$1,479.60.  On return from Bermuda to NJ or from Bermuda back to FL it is the same rate.

A double stack trailer add $500 each leg.

So single boat FL-BDA-NJ = $2959.20
Double: $3959.20

Discuss whether this is do able or not.

Dan Tucker

Race it like you stole it.

Matt Sole

That's the cost of a brand new set of sails.

Is there an option of containering the boats out there?

4 boats to a 40ft container works right? What would the FL-BDA-NJ cost of a container be?

Also a lot of boats have masts where the two halves are glued together. So that would likely increase the RORO cost.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

David Furna

Too rich for my program......add in airfare, lodging, expenses.......that would be one expensive regatta.

Tim Carter

Agree, Bermuda would be great but that would be near $6.5k I guess.  When it gets to more than 1 boat buck per day you wonder what kind of program you bought into...
Lt Coast Gov

Lee Shuckerow

Its roughly a thousand miles to bermuda. There could be a cheaper way to get there, so lets keep looking.
Jackpot  #235

Jonathan Nye

Quote from: Lee shuckerow on July 28, 2010, 11:23:45 AM
Its roughly a thousand miles to bermuda. There could be a cheaper way to get there, so lets keep looking.
Looking for cheap eh? Boats likely to be in Charleston already eh? Closest point on the US mainland to Bermuda is ... Charleston. Cruise in company the boats to Bermuda. What could go wrong?

Somers Kempe

I am working on some $ per boat from the title sponsor to help with travel costs. Also should be able to hook up room rates at a local hotel.  Stay tuned. 

Tim Carter

Looking for cheap eh? Boats likely to be in Charleston already eh? Closest point on the US mainland to Bermuda is ... Charleston. Cruise in company the boats to Bermuda. What could go wrong?
[/quote]

Includes a crossing of the Triangle....  naw, no worries...  :)
Lt Coast Gov

Drake Borer

I'm in!  Get a couple of support boats and just getting there would be an epic race!

David Furna

Beer, Bimini top, sw breeze at 20kts.......30 Vipers racing to Bermuda? I'm in

Matt Sole

Charleston - Bermuda
775 miles due west. SW 15-20 should be able to do it under 60hrs..... So that's 3 cases of beer 6 sandwiches and a packet of crisps. I'm up for it.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Somers Kempe

Justin Scott

Quote from: Matt Sole on August 02, 2010, 11:15:39 AM
Charleston - Bermuda
775 miles due west. SW 15-20 should be able to do it under 60hrs..... So that's 3 cases of beer 6 sandwiches and a packet of crisps. I'm up for it.

Matt?  Only 3 cases of beer to last 60 hours? For you!  Are you planning to sail single handed?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee