Bermuda 2016 North Americans

Started by Douglas De Couto, March 13, 2015, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed "Buttons" Padin, Class Administrator

Look at this video at about 8:40 and you'll see the difference between a sportboat and a traditional, full hull boat. Staggering. Nothing against big boats...but, boy, do they look sluggish relatively.  Thanks for the link, Somers.
Ed "Buttons" Padin
Viper 640 Class Administrator
erpadin [at] padesta [dot] com

Dan Tucker

I'm going Old School, as an honorary convict.

I'm looking forward to it!
Race it like you stole it.

Paul Zinger

Who needs crew for Bermuda?  I've been on a Viper once or twice.

Somers Kempe

Just a casual update for folks out there watching this thread.

We have firmed up plans with Goslings for the social side of things.  Looking at a Opening reception at their place on the Tuesday night with rum tasting, etc.  They will be offering tours of the facility earlier in the day (cough cough Mambo Kings) for those that want to see where the good stuff comes from.

Will also have the infamous washing machine out at the Class Dinner on Thursday evening being held at RBYC.

Cold D&S dock side each day too.

Prize giving will be at RHADC with the full range of products.

As always please contact us if you have any questions.  Carry on.
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Somers Kempe

Competitor social packages are NOW available to purchase online at Yacht Scoring. Go to the "Purchase tickets and other items" section of the site.
http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eid=1577

We have also started a FB page where competitors can upload pictures of regatta prep, participation and parties.

https://www.facebook.com/2016Viper640InternationalChampionship/

Craig Wilusz

How many social packages are included in the event registration?
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Somers Kempe

Hi Craig,
No bracelets are included within the regatta fee.
Somers

John Leyland

I assume if there are any non-competitors/significant others coming along they will need to purchase as well?
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Somers Kempe

You are correct John.

The bracelets give the wearer the ability to enjoy after racing social, light food and beverages at the Opening Reception at Goslings Wine Bar, and dinner and beverages at the Class dinner being held at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club.  Also light food and beverages at the Royal Hamilton Amateur Dinghy Club for the Prize Giving Saturday night.

Somers Kempe

Regatta Merchandise now available for purchase from Coral Reef Sailing Apparel! Until October 15th get 10% off your complete order!
See the Regatta Merchandise document for more important information.
http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_documents.cfm?eid=1577

Go to CSRA to place your order:
http://www.coralreefsailing.com/index.php/regattas/2016-viper-640-international-championship-regatta.html

To save competitors paying Bermuda Customs Duty, and shipping costs to Bermuda there will be no merchandise for sale at the regatta venue.  So order your gear now for shipment to you before you come.

Ed "Buttons" Padin, Class Administrator

Tips from the Experts - Pre-regatta Boat Inspection – From Rondar Raceboats' Paul Young

Dear class member,

As part of the preparations you will be making for Bermuda, we have put together a short list of boat preparation items, that you should check and replace BEFORE you leave for the event, rather than risk having your sailing curtailed in November. There will not be the usual array of spare parts vendors out there that you may be use to at home. If you break something and careen into another competitor, you could cause them some serious damage, too; so for the good of everyone competing, please ensure that your boat is in proper shape to participate in this regatta.

Spars:

Halyards, are they suitable, and in good condition? If they are frayed at key points where they cleat or exit the spar under load, replace them. While checking halyards, please also check the sheaves and lubricate them. Also check the cleats, particularly the main halyard cleats, and the spinnaker halyard flip flop cleat on the back of the mast. If that is older than two years, just replace the whole fitting, as they can get weaker over time due to sun degradation. Regardless, this is a part where having a spare in your kit is a wise decision.

Check your spreaders and the bracket and ensure that the rivets are the correct and original type, and that they are properly fastened up. It is not uncommon for the heads to stretch a little. Remove the shrouds from the outer end of the spreader and ensure that there are no broken strands or badly crippled wires around the spreader end tip fitting. Check the lower and upper ends where they exit and enter the swaged terminals. If your shrouds are over 3 years old consider replacing them before they break. They will be fine as spares.

Check your boom, boom end strap, boom end fittings, and so on. Do the same with the spinnaker pole, and its tack line. Sometimes tack lines get chewed up and break. This is another good part for which to have a spare.

Hull:

Check all fittings and replace any worn out cleats, or dodgy looking bits of rope. If you have a Delran plate Mk II boat or a cassette type Mk III boat then check the solidity of the arrangement. If it is not good, then replace the cassettes or do something about it now. You will not be able to monopolize a hoist in Bermuda for hours on end while you try to glue in a new cassette, or similar.

Check for leaks into the hull, and fix them if necessary. Replace the hiking strap lines if they look "end of season." Check that you have all the class required safety lines, and that they are correctly fitted to pass inspection at the event. Check your shroud plate U bolts are solid, and spend time looking at your rudder gudgeon plate, and the two pintles fitted to the rudder. If either look even slightly worn, consider replacing them. Check the rudder itself for any stress cracking just below the waterline, and check the tiller and tiller extension joint, if there is any sign of wear, get it replaced. That universal connector is also another good spare to have at the ready.

Lastly pack some spare ring dings, shackles, and all those little parts that are easy to find back home but might be trickier in Bermuda.
Ed "Buttons" Padin
Viper 640 Class Administrator
erpadin [at] padesta [dot] com

Lee Shuckerow

I have a question of shipping insurance. Somers you probably have experience with this. My watercraft insurance doesn't cover the shipping. The shipping company insurance is $1000.
Anyone have any other options?
Jackpot  #235

Somers Kempe

We have not dealt with the freight insurance, so I don't have a magic solution.
You should be able to shop around. 

Somers

Peter Broszkowski

I have insurance with Boat US. The added a provision to cover Bermuda for $40. I just had to explain to them - and it took me a while - that I don't plan to sail the Viper to Bermuda. They also cover the boat while on the vessel back and forth.
Peter Broszkowski
Nyack Boat Club
USA 193

Somers Kempe

Good information Peter. 

Lee, you should call your insurance carrier Monday.