Bermuda 2016 North Americans

Started by Douglas De Couto, March 13, 2015, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somers Kempe

Some good reviews of the racing area for the upcoming NA's from none other than Mr. Clean.
https://vimeo.com/151521223
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Somers Kempe

Great news regarding event accommodation posted to the event web site today.  Email also sent to all competitors - check your Junk Mail!
http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eid=1577

Peter Bauer

Somers, just tried to book some rooms.  Couldn't book more than one on line so called.  I was told no one was available to book my rooms.  I hope the pink sale is available tomorrow.

Somers Kempe

Peter, make sure you speak with Ms. Mills Feb 1st, explain what issues you had booking and that you called - she should be able to sort you out.

Cole Constantineau

FYI:  I just booked a room this morning with the "Pink" discount online.  It appears the deal is through today...

Peter Bauer

Call The hotel Newstead Belmont Hills at 1 441 236 6068, ask for Mrs. Mills.  You'll get the discounted rate, but I think today is the last day.  It looks like a great place.

Somers Kempe

OK - big news everyone. 

Because you are all amazing and the # of competitors continues to grow, one of our amazing sponsors - Bermuda Container Line (running the shipping line out of Port Elizabeth, NJ) has sweetened their shipping deal.  If you are living in the NE area under a ton of snow right now, listen up.

Ship your Viper through Port Elizabeth NJ and book with:

BERMUDA AGENCIES LTD ONE GATEWAY CENTRE, SUITE 2408 NEWARK, NJ 07102 TEL:  (973) 242-6890 FAX:  (973) 242-6286 Email: [email protected]

New Rates:
For Roll on Roll Off service:
$1400 for single boat on trailer. ie $1400 per boat
$1600 for double trailer ie $800 per boat
$1800 for triple trailer ie $600 per boat

$1000 return all - inclusive for each trailer.

So for example 2 boats on a single double stack trailer would move to Bermuda for $1600  ($800 each boat) and $1000 for the same trailer back to the US ($500 each) so round trip for $1300 each.

This reduced rate plan is available only through the Port Elizabeth agent, if you plan to send your boat through any of the other ports you would pay their respective shipping agents the existing rates, as shown in the shipping document on the event website.

I can't believe it; we are almost paying you to come race in Bermuda...

David Furna

Great Job Somers and thanks for all your information. The NC Viper Hoes are booked at the Belmont Hills Resort and are now looking at getting the boat there. We don't have a double stack trailer, what are the single trailer rates? $2400 R/T? Vs $1300 if we find a double stack? I've never shipped a boat so it will be a new adventure for sure.

Dave Furna

Somers Kempe

Hi Dave
Check the regatta site out:
http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_documents/1577/OceanFreightFAQ_02-02-2016.pdf

The above post is for shipping out of port Elizabeth NJ, and return to there.

You could ship out of FL to Bermuda for 1500 and after ship back to port Elizabeth for the 1000.

Somers Kempe

As seen in other news, the regatta is now the first Viper 640 International Championships - two for one!

Who will be crowned the best in the world??
Who will be crowned the best in North America??

Somers Kempe

Peter Beardsley

Some good news for those who were concerned about being able to do both HPDO and NAs - I am in contact with one of the shipping companies and it seems like a no brainer to be able to do both events - plenty of time in between to guarantee that your boat will be in BDA in time.  Consequently, hopefully everyone between North Carolina and Maine (i.e., those for who FL shipping is not closer) in North America will show up to the 2016 HPDO and then drop your boat at one of the two NJ locations on your way out of town (or arrange to have a driver bring your boat from HPDO to NJ) - should guarantee good practice in a large fleet.

IN OTHER NEWS: one thing that the shipping company wants to know is the height, width and length of a Viper on a trailer.  We might as well post this information in the thread since 50+ people are going to have the same question.  I don't know the answer off the top of my head though - anyone have the specs? 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

David Furna

That sounds inviting.....and good planning Peter, Thx.
Buttons have room at his mansion for all the southern Viper crews?

Cole Constantineau

Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm working through the shipping stuff now.  I measured my boat and trailer to be 8 ft wide X 6 ft tall (my trailer is a lowboy:  others may be about a foot taller), and 25 ft long. 

The dock in Port Elizabeth is closed on Sunday October 9th and Monday the 10th, but can take boats and trailers on the 11th for the October 14th boat to Bermuda.  The next option quoted to me was the November 4th boat, which gets in to Bermuda on the 6th.  I may end up taking this one--if this is the case, the earliest you can leave a boat at their dock is Monday October 31st...

I'm personally shipping my boat on to Fernandina Beach FL after Bermuda, and SISL wants me to wait until October to book the trip...  Will let ya'll know how that goes..

I'm working through the customs/paper work stuff also....

Flights seem good right now too..we have a direct Boston-BDA for like $375 roundtrip

Somers Kempe

If there are still folks out there on the fence about attending Bermuda this November, here some aerial work of last years Keelboat regatta in Bermuda in November.  If you look close enough, you might even see Justin Scott at a few mark roundings...
https://youtu.be/NnwAsZme6sE