2012 (TORONTO, Canada) ABYC ONE-DESIGN AND OPEN REGATTA - May 26 & 27

Started by Harvey Barnes, April 03, 2012, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Barnes

Calling all Viperers!...

Ashbridge's Bay Yacht Club in the Toronto area is hosting their 2012 ABYC One-Design and Open Regatta, May 26 & 27.

There is quite a bit of interest in the Viper in the greater Toronto area and ABYC has invited the Viper Class to showcase the boat by participating in this regatta.

Registration is half price for Vipers... only $45.

Let's at least get the Ontario boats plus a few mid-west boats.

We may be able to arrange storage for anyone of the N.E. boats planning on doing the Bayview OD regatta (Detroit) the following weekend.

Who's interested?

Info at:  http://www.abyc.on.ca/abycod/index2012.shtml

Darren Gilbert

Hi Harv -

I've got the OK from the wife to head to ABYC for this event.  Depending on who's available on my crew list, I may have 1 or both crew spots available for local ABYC folk interested in purchasing a Viper.  Let me know if you have anyone in mind.

Cheers!
Darren
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Kelly Bechard

Steve Conger

43 is in. I might have a spot open for an interested buyer. Still going through my crew list too.
43 zigzag

Matt Rowlinson

Darren Gilbert

Kelly Bechard

It sounds like we have:
#57, #29, #150, #180, #165, Can70

Anyone else?

Kelly Bechard

Thanks Matt. For anyone still thinking about going, notice they are offering the Vipers 1/2 off the entry fee to encourage participation. They really want to see a fleet of Vipers at their club.

Darren Gilbert

Kelly Bechard

I haven't heard for sure. I know one had a previous commitment but I'm not sure about the other.

Kelly Bechard

Updated list:
#57, #29, #150, #180, #165, Can70

Add #117

I just noticed there is a late fee for boats that register after Tuesday the week of the event. (May 22)

Darren Gilbert

This past weekend 6 Vipers gathered together at Ashbridges Bay Yacht club in Toronto for the ABYC One Design Regatta.  This marked the first year the class participated and #'s 29, 57, 70, 117 & 165 all came out to enjoy this fun two day event (#150 was on site, but didn't sail). 
The first day of sailing showed light breeze (3-8 knots) and flat seas,  after a 'bit of a delay' race committee ran 2 races before abandoning the third due to a 180* wind shift.  Racing was close all day with many lead changes.

Back at the docks, the boats generated a lot of interest from other sailors.  The Viper fleet rafted up together, and shared some snacks and beverages while chatting with the flocks of people coming by to get a better look at the boats.  Toronto is one of the largest sailing city's in Canada and getting a Viper presence there should be on Rondar's priority list.

Three of the five boats got together for dinner that night to discuss the class and how things are coming along.  In the Ontario/Michigan area we have 10 boats and 3 local regattas scheduled for the year including the ABYC event.  The Bayview One Design is next weekend (June 1-3) and the Sarnia One Design is June 29-July 1.  We also talked about getting a start at CORK for 2013 (Late August).
For day 2 the breeze picked up to 10-12 knots and race committee ran off 3 races.  Heading into the last race of the regatta Black Sheep and Rum Theory were tied for first with Rum Theory holding the tie breaker.  Unfortunately for Black Sheep they were called OCS in the last race and couldn't battle back, Rum Theory came away with the victory.

Packing up and leaving went smooth as the club has two hoists for the fleets.  We stuck around for awards and talked to some of the locals who wanted to know more about the boat and the class.  The organizers thanked the class for participating and asked us back for next year (I will definitely be registering my boat for next year).  It was a fun 2 day local regatta that could only get better with more participation.  I encourage the other Midwest/Ontario boats to mark this one on the schedule for next year.  It's a inexpensive/fun/local event that I hope to see you all at next year.

Matt Rowlinson

Good write up, and nice sailing against the sheep again. Sail fast next week at Bayview.  This was a fun event; let's build on it.  Thanks to Harv, Kelly, & the Graffs for making the trip.

Harvey Barnes

It was fun and will be even more so once we get a few more boats there.

It was great to see a few "fat boy" drinking teams (...Sheep & ...Theory), a mixed team (Grendel), a Ladies team (Medusa, a.k.a. "Moon-raker"), and a family team (...Fax, a.k.a. Tiffany, Barb, & Steve).

Thanks to Doyle Boston Sailmakers (Tac) for providing tips and general assistance on day-one.

Thanks to Tac, Kelly, and Jessica for helping Rondar with setup and demo rides for prospective buyers.

Also, thanks to all for chatting up the Viper to the many folks that dropped by the docks to check out our speedsters.

It was great to see you all!