2011 Arizona Yacht Club Birthday Regatta and Leukemia Cup

Started by Greg Jackson, December 02, 2010, 01:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Jackson

The 2011 Birthday Regatta Entry is Now Open!

Register at http://arizonayachtclub.org/?p=1603

Fellow Viper Sailors,

Don?t miss the first major AZ Regatta of 2011 and start of this year's West Coast Circuit! It?s time to get ready for the Arizona Yacht Club Birthday Regatta and the 12th Annual Arizona Leukemia Cup ? the first Leukemia Cup Regatta of 2011 January 14th through the 16th, 2011.

AYC and the Desert Mountain Chapter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society invite you to join in for a full range of on-water and on-shore fun. Activities will include three days of racing Friday through Sunday with meals, entertainment and a special dinner Saturday.  Our keynote speaker Saturday night will be Paralympic GOLD MEDAL WINNER and newly elected U S Sailing Board of Directors Member, Maureen McKinnon-Tucker in addition to our outstanding special auction to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Racing will be from Friday through Sunday (Friday optional, each class will determine two or three days of racing), with the Leukemia Cup being held on Saturday.

Don?t miss Friday night?s dinner.  It is being prepared by the legendary culinary skill of our current Club Champion, Rick Johnson.

Our race committee will have a special look this year too! Andrea Caroe from Mission Bay Yacht Club in San Diego will be our PRO! Many of the Buccaneer and 14.2 sailors will remember her Pink RC flag from their events held at MYC.

Please check the RACING page of www.arizonayachtclub.org for the notice of race, registration and sailing instructions and other updates. Other questions can be sent to me, Regatta Director Greg Jackson,  at [email protected].

So come out and enjoy our desert hospitality up at Lake Peasant, January 14th through the 16th and help us help others through the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

David Morse

What about our shirts??  Where are we on the ones owed from last year???

Glenn Vanheel

Now that you mention it, I had a couple of shirts that I'm waiting for! And I believe 'the squidge' ordered one the same time I did in the tent.
F'ing Walker!

Tim Carter

Lt Coast Gov

Greg Jackson

Hey Guys,

A few clairifications, racing is Friday through Sunday. Saturday will be scored alone for the Leukemia Cup (please sign up for this portion of the regatta as well!), but the three days combined will be scored together for the 2011 Birthday Regatta.

For those of you who got hosed on last year?s shirt order, send me an email so I can order this year?s shirts free to you as replacements. I hope this offer quells your displeasure. As most off you know, I wasn?t a part of last year?s regatta (besides as a competitor).

Glenn, per your request I have bastardized the spelling of regattta to your spelling ? ?regatta?, maybe this will make you happy. 

Trailer rentals can be had at http://www.horseshowcampers.com Also at Cruise America, but those will not be set up for you, you will have to pick them up and return them, then drive them to the lake from their Phoenix location.

Hotel deals to follow...

Please send any questions that you might have to me, I want to make sure that you have a satisfying event!

Greg

Greg Jackson

2011 Birthday Regatta and Leukemia Cup ? UPDATE

Viperers,

Register at the AYC web site, www.arizonayachtclub.org and go there for all of the hot links as I am having problems with posting them here!

Please get your registration completed by December 30, 2010!. This is the only way to get your Regatta  T-Shirt, which only available for purchase until December 30th! Get other gear like microfiber/drytech shrts, Gill bags and shorts with the Birthday Regatta Logo straight from our manufacturer here and it will be delivered directly to the regatta.

Also, if you just want the T-Shirt and or a few meals, you can use the registration page as well ? just don?t enter the regatta!  You can also order gear from our Birthday Regatta Gear Page too.

Below are a few items to make your stay at the Birthday Regatta more pleasurable?

The closest hotel to Lake Pleasant is the Hampton Inn in Anthem and they have offered entrant a discounted room rate here.

Slips are available for $20.00 per night at Pleasant Harbor Marina at 602 912 1664 if you mention that you are with the Arizona Yacht Club.

Also, if you mention the Arizona Yacht Club to RV Rental Outlet, they can bring up a motor home and set it up for you at the lake for you weekend. Their number is 888 461 0023. You will also have to let Pleasant Harbor know so you can get a camp site.

If you want, tent and car camping is available for the price of admission to the park, but if you pitch your tent on a lawn, get ready for the sprinklers!

The general agenda goes something like this:

Friday

7:00 ? Breakfast Burritos
7:00 ? Registration Opens
9:00 ? Registration Closes
9:30 ? Skipper?s Meeting
11:30 ? Racing/Race Practice (See NOR/SI)
17:00 ? Bar Opens
18:00 ? Dinner by resident Head Chef Rick Johnson
22:00 ? Bar Closes

Saturday

7:00 ? Eggs and Bacon Breakfast
7:00 ? Registration Opens
9:00 ? Registration Closes
9:30 ? Skipper?s Meeting
11:30 ? Racing (See NOR/SI)
17:00 ? Bar Opens
17:00 ? Silent Auction Open
17:30 ? Dinner and Keynote Speaker Maureen McKinnon-Tucker
19:00 ? Silent Auction Closes
19:10 ? LLS Thanks You and Recognition
19:30 ? Auction
20:15 ? Top Fund Raiser Recognition
22:00 ? Bar Closes

Sunday

7:00 ? Breakfast Burritos
9:00 ? Racing
14:00ish ? Awards Ceremony

If you have more specific questions, please call me at 480-503-2191 or send me an email at [email protected].

Thanks!
Greg

Greg Jackson

Registrants as of Monday...

Jones   Jeff   Animal                   129
Mauri   Juan   Mauri Pro Sailing   107
Tucker      Dan          heroin                      46
Carter   Tim   Viral                    USA 104
Dion   Laurent   Coup de Rouge   31
Hinrichs   Mark   Clown School   GBR 601
visser   charlie   icebear                   71
Young   Jeffrey   Mr Potato Head   130

Please register today or tomorrow if you are interested in getting a Tee Shirt as our order needs to be sent in Friday morning!

PS Sorry about the formatting!

Tim Carter

coming along...  :)
so names not up yet..

Harper
Kay
Leal
Morse
Mayhugh
Vanheel

did I miss anybody???
Lt Coast Gov

Tim Carter

Greg, I have a question and I thought I would put it here so we can all kick it around..

Have you set up scoring in such a way as to not penalize the boats who can only sail Sat & Sun??

If a boat cannot sail Fri due to work constraints, they may decide to not participate at all and that would be unfortunate...
Lt Coast Gov

Greg Jackson

Quote from: Tim Carter on December 30, 2010, 03:22:49 PM
Greg, I have a question and I thought I would put it here so we can all kick it around..

Have you set up scoring in such a way as to not penalize the boats who can only sail Sat & Sun??

If a boat cannot sail Fri due to work constraints, they may decide to not participate at all and that would be unfortunate...

Tim,

I had not thought of that idea, but I'm sure we could pull somethig off like that if the masses believe it to be a good idea.

I'll let everyone here, either thinking of coming to the event, or already enentered to discuss it.

As of now, it is a three day event...

Thanks for your thoughts,

Greg

David Morse

I thought last year was practice racing on Friday.
It is likely I cannot make Friday and I know this will test the patience of some, I need to sail with my small keel.  At this time I am just able to put the time together to do trailer and rig work.  New job requires a lot more than I ever imagined-- shoulda stayed a teacher.
If this is a problem with anyone sailing, let me know.  My hope is no hard feelings on these issues this time.
Thanks in advance for your understanding.

Drew Harper

Harper is in. Bringing Loula Back with us too. You can't keep her though.

I agree with Timbo. Let's split scoring. We should always do everything we can to encourage folks to come sail with us.

Dave, I wouldn't sweat the keel. Come, have fun. You owe us beers though :-D

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Drew Harper on December 31, 2010, 01:51:21 PM
And if you're anywhere close, you have to duck, even if you're on starboard!  ;)
Race it like you stole it.

Tim Carter

Quote from: Dan Tucker on December 31, 2010, 02:59:39 PM
Quote from: Drew Harper on December 31, 2010, 01:51:21 PM
And if you're anywhere close, you have to duck, even if you're on starboard!  ;)

and if in front, a 360 @ each mark would be good form...  :)

Greg, I thought last year the Fri sailing was scored seperatly from Sat-Sun...  ??
Lt Coast Gov

Drew Harper

Greg...how do we reserve in-water space at the Marina? If this has been covered already, my apologies.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"