2010 Championship of Champions

Started by Jonathan Nye, July 08, 2009, 08:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan Nye

Next year, Indian Harbor Y.C. (Greenwich CT/Western Long Island Sound) is slated to host US Sailing's Championship of Champions. This is a 21 boat affair (20 competitors + one back-up boat) and will be held in the fall, probably the weekend after Columbus Day.

For those not familiar with this event... One-design class champions apply to race and US Sailing selects the 20. Prior winners have come from the Sunfish, Thistle, Flying Scot, Snipe and Lightning fleets (among others).

We had originally envisioned having this in Ideal 18s but with the dramatic growth of the Viper fleet, we're reconsidering. From a fleet building perspective it would be great to hold this event in Vipers. And from a competitors perspective, I'm sure they would appreciate being in Vipers over Ideals.

To do this, we would some combination of owners and builder to lend 21 boats for the long weekend. All boats would be fully insured. And in an ideal world, some sailmaker would make 21 identical sails that would be sold to the boat owners (or anyone else) at some modest concession.

How do folks think about this? Would you be willing to lend your boat to the event? Given the time of year, we could emphasize American's High Performance Regatta over Columbus Day weekend and the boats would be in the area for the CoC the following weekend.

Again, this would be a terrific opportunity to keep the momentum going and plant the Viper seed with 20 of the nation's top one-design sailors.

I'll start... 94 is available.

Jonathan

Drew Harper

Geographically undesirable as it is, #104 is available for this. Not sure how to get it there.

If this were to happen, it would cement the Viper into the Eastern seaboard One-Design classes permanently. It very easily could be the boat to have...perception wise.

Hyde is the natural builder of sails for this event and I feel pretty confident that Richard (Hyde) would be willing to cut a deal on sails, given some prominent Hyde logoing.

I'd try to get Paul Young involved in this early. He's got a great relationship with Richard.

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

David Morse

Hey boom, if you want to double boat it, Rick Peters style, I will make #33  or #38 available.  Regatta entries might help offset costs. I know we have done this with the CARR in Solings in San Diego.

Dan Tucker

Fantastic idea Johnathan.

90% sure we'd make #50 available.

Anything to not subject people to less-than-Ideal 18's!
Race it like you stole it.

Matt Sole

Just got the boat but I am up for putting 78 in.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Justin Scott

One additional suggestion. Would the organizers be wiling to have an owners rep on board?

Double advantage:-
(a) Lending owner on board to make sure no damage and help train a newcomer to Viper-handling.
(b) One attractive reason to lend the boat, would be chance to sail with a NA champion. The attendees at this regatta are pretty high powered and the opportunity to crew with Morgan Larson, Augie Diaz etc is fun.

Love the concept of Hyde doing a deal for logo'd Hyde Champion of Champion sails.
One Idea (which might be shot down by my colleagues) is that the class votes to waive the sail restriction for these sails , so you get an inexpensive suit of new sails that do not count towards your annual sail inventory restriction. Could be a pUll!!
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Matt Sole

I don't think the owner rep thing will work but I like the sail purchase not counting as a set of your yearlies.
Does the class button sails?
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Matt Sole

Ok so considering drews comments in the other thread......

BUMP??
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Jonathan Nye

US Sailing has said to run the event in Ideal 18s so that's how things are likely to sort out. Unless we lobby hard with the majority of the boats committed right away, can't see this changing.
Jonathan

Matt Sole

I just looked up the Ideal 18. Those things SUCK! What on earth possessed US Sailing to run the event in those shitters. Oh yeah I forgot its US Sailing.....
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Matt Sole

You can have my boat still. I like these CoC events and it would be good to be done in the Viper.
All the long island boats plus a few extras you must be able to rustle up 20 of em.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Drew Harper

Quote from: jnye on December 17, 2009, 09:46:48 PM
US Sailing has said to run the event in Ideal 18s so that's how things are likely to sort out. Unless we lobby hard with the majority of the boats committed right away, can't see this changing.
Jonathan

For gawds sake say NOOOOOOOO. Ideal 18's?  US Sailing is SO out of touch with the real world of sailing...why is that? I have a very long story about their commercial sailing certification program that I started with them and then bailed...600 pound gorilla that they are.

That's it, I'm not winning any nationals this year :-D

Chris Raab is gonna be pissed. I told him I'd be pushing hard for Vipers at the CoC.

Oh well, this will be another sleeper of a year.

Jonathan Nye

Drew Daugherty ([email protected]) is the US Sailing coordinator and Sam Fortenbaugh ([email protected]) is the event chair. If interested in lobbying for the Viper, folks should feel free to reach out to either directly.
Jonathan

Drew Harper

Quote from: jnye on December 18, 2009, 01:02:43 PM
Drew Daugherty ([email protected]) is the US Sailing coordinator and Sam Fortenbaugh ([email protected]) is the event chair. If interested in lobbying for the Viper, folks should feel free to reach out to either directly.
Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan.

Just sent the email below to the two guys you mentioned.  Come on class...let's get these poor SOB's off the Ideal 18's.

================================

Hello Gentlemen,

I wanted to submit my voice to support the consideration of the Viper 640 as the class boat to race for the 2010 Champion of Champions regatta at Stamford Yacht Club.

I understand that you are looking for a tight one-design class and I feel that the Viper more than fulfills that criteria. Moreover, the Viper will provide champions a MUCH better opportunity for fun and skills growth than is possible on the Ideal 18 and will provide a much more interesting viewers perspective. Vipers are exciting, colorful, fast and relevant. This boat will surely test the skills of the skipper and crews and provide a thoroughly rewarding regatta experience.

I know that the local Viper fleet can easily accommodate resourcing 20 boats for this event and I assure you the class association is perhaps one of the best organized in the USA.

If there is anything I can do to pave a way to have the Viper be the boat of choice for this wonderful regatta, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best to you and yours . . . Drew Harper  Viper #104 'BoomSlang'

Jonathan Nye

Couple of things...

The 2010 CoC is at Indian Harbor Yacht Club (not nearby Stamford YC).

According to US Sailing, one of the objectives of the event is to "promote the host class". The Ideal exists as a good trainer and club-owned asset. The promotional benefits are limited whereas the Viper would surely benefit.

Jonathan