Vipers In Newport RI

Started by Jep Peacock, September 27, 2010, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Nickerson

Awesome.  Are you guys planning a weeknight one design series this summer?  Can I come over and crew for somebody (if it's not Weds nights)?
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Zach Freeborn

We haven't worked out all the details yet, but we will most likely be doing one-design on Tuesday nights and phrf with other sportboats on Mondays.
#85 "Greenthumb"
Newport, RI

Jep Peacock

To anyone not on the Newport Local email list.  We will be having a meeting on Saturday Dec. 18th to discuss Newport's Viper racing schedule for 2011.  From the sounds of it Newport will be the next Viper hot spot with several weekend regattas, day races, one dedicated night for 1D racing and possibly 2 nights of PHRF racing as well!!!  If you want to attend please email me or Zach for details.

Matt Sole

What do we need to do to get recognised as a separate fleet?
I think the rebel Newport fleet has officially splintered from the wing of the Marblehead fleet.
May we please have our own regional sectional in the forums!!
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Zach Freeborn

We are an official fleet now, I just haven't pestered Jay on giving us our own section in the forums yet. 
#85 "Greenthumb"
Newport, RI

Justin Scott

Quote from: Matt Sole on December 14, 2010, 03:50:22 PM
What do we need to do to get recognised as a separate fleet?
I think the rebel Newport fleet has officially splintered from the wing of the Marblehead fleet.
May we please have our own regional sectional in the forums!!

More importantly, at your rate of growth, can the Marblehead fleet shelter under your wing.
Geez.....every time I check up on hull numbers, someone else has ordered a boat in Newport. Glad the economy is working for someone.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Matt Sole

I am still not sure of the projected May 2011 number at Sail Newport.
There are still a few people looking for project boats if any are left.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Jep Peacock

All that being said, the new Newport Viper owners who want to keep their boat at Sail Newport should let them know ASAP that they'll need a spot. I almost didn't get one last summer. The yard manager is awesome and he asked we let him know so he can fit all of us in together in the North lot near the hoists.

Justin Scott

I hope y'all realize that the June regatta at Newport is going to be huge. I think it will be the biggest regatta on the East Coast in 2011 (like the HPDO last year).

We have got some interesting sponsorship lined up. 95% there. I'll let y'all know details as soon as they give the final blessing.

If any of you have some "housing" ideas I think that would be a real plus. Maybe a big ole house somewhare that we can rent for the weeknd and house 5 Viper teams?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jep Peacock

We all met on Saturday and I'm psyched to say the Newport Viper Class has formed!!! I'd like to be the first one to thank Zach for taking the reins as the Newport class captain.  I also wanted to give special thanks to Paul Zimmerman and Dave Nickerson for joining us, offering their insights, and support.

Matt Sole

Glad it all went well. So what was the outcome of the meeting?
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Zach Freeborn

The Newport Viper fleet will have at least 7 boats next season. We have decided that we will sail our one-design series on Tuesday nights with the Newport Yacht Club leaving the option to race PHRF on either Mondays or Wednesdays with the IYAC or NYC respectively.  We will also use the results from the Wickford Regatta (May 21-22), Leukemia Cup (June 4), Bacardi Cup (June 24-26), Coastal Living Newport Regatta (July 9-10), and the CYC Around Jamestown Race (Sept 4) for a separate series.  We plan on having a tuning/coaching session on June 18.   Anyone coming in for the Bacardi Cup or Coastal Living Regatta are welcome to join us in our regular series. 
#85 "Greenthumb"
Newport, RI

Jep Peacock

So did anyone get a Viper for Christmas?  The official count is now 8 for Newport.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Matt Sole

Jesus 8??

Looks like I will have to get to sail Newport early to get a decent spot.
Are the official 8 current owners and paid for new builds or are there a few, definites without handing over the cash?
Names of the 8?
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Jep Peacock

Yes, 8 boats bought and paid for. Not sure of all the names.