Which compass?

Started by Luke Porter, February 27, 2011, 05:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Sole

So does this mean we can use the split tail under the "experimental period" or do we all have to go back to bridle only systems?
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Brad Robbins

I know the rules were revised in February, but cannot find them on the Viper website.  Can someone point out where to find them?  I am especially interested in the mainsheet change.

Matt Sole

I went completley off thread..

To get back on course (my head is full of puns) of which compass to choose, basically go and buy a Tacktic Micro (awesome bit of kit by the way) and wait on the new rules to see which GPS unit you should buy if any.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Luke Porter

Quote from: Matt Sole on March 08, 2011, 01:10:34 AM

To get back on course (my head is full of puns) of which compass to choose, basically go and buy a Tacktic Micro (awesome bit of kit by the way) and wait on the new rules to see which GPS unit you should buy if any.

That was what I originally thought of only now I'm leaning towards a speed puck instead of a wrist mounted GPS. The boat won't be here for another couple of months, I've got time to ponder.

Luke.
"Porkchop"
Can 166
Halifax, NS

Jonathan Nye

Fascinating discussion... We've got folks advocating all kinds of fancy electronics but we outlaw in-race tuning because we want to keep things simple.

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Jonathan Nye on March 08, 2011, 11:16:50 AM
Fascinating discussion... We've got folks advocating all kinds of fancy electronics but we outlaw in-race tuning because we want to keep things simple.

That's understandable - electronics are just fun toys that don't make the boat go faster...

Justin Scott

Quote from: Jay Harrell on March 08, 2011, 11:19:59 AM
Quote from: Jonathan Nye on March 08, 2011, 11:16:50 AM

That's understandable - electronics are just fun toys that don't make the boat go faster...

Zinger. Love it.

Apropos of GPS. The Melges 20 outlawed the ProStart. It is apparently amazingly effective for startlines.  So the start line became the haves and have nots ( Ah hemm, I might think that the $2000 per diem tactician might be a useful have as well).

Melges 20 only allows electronics that give, courseand speed but not distance and/or position.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Olaf Bleck

I'm real curious to what degree people are presently using features beyond the basic SOG and heading.

Shall we have a poll?
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Brad Boston

I tried pinging the line on the Viper but the speed changes to drastically and it does not work well. Now we just use it for speed and heading and timer.
Brad

Dave Nickerson

Ben Steinberg will be posting a TC developed poll soon in the members section
Viper #208 - Noank, CT

Robert Bernard

I bought the Prostart, and I agree with Brad. The line pinging is just too troublesome at the start of a race. I would rather just eyeball it. I wish I had bought the speed puck instead. Although I do like the gun feature and timer on the prostart.
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Jason Hyerstay

I just want to add my points again to this discussion. I think the price of the Tacktick Micro Compass is very high. I race 25-30 PHRF races a year and do not get to train against other Vipers. I want to get the most bang for my buck to help me improve my sportboat skills and performance, and I don't want to have to buy less capable, more expensive equipment just to go to a Viper regatta.

A while back in this thread there was discussion of set and drift, where it was implied that the NS360 might offer that, but I checked its documentation and didn't find anything.

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Tac Boston

We tried the Prostart line deal in Houston and it was always 3-6M off. When it said we were on the line we were always way, way behind. It is a sure way to get 3rd row starts :)

Jason Hyerstay

Did you calibrate for the bow vs. ProStart location?

Curious,

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Justin Scott

I found a great compass for much less than Tack tick. It occurs to me that it would make a good combination with the speed puck. I'll get details.

Again......I really recommend not using a gps as your compass, you'll get false headers and lifts. Jason....remember at CRW when I pointed that out on my boat. I only look at the Tacktic

If you are only going to get one instrument for your boat, get a great  magnetic or fluxgate compass.  The gps is a fun toy to tell you how fast you went.

Interesting that Pro Start is not much better than than SC1 in that regard.
I can confirm that I tried using the Velocitek SC1 for start lines and it was useless. After 2 OCS and 1 third row, I turned it onto the speed function and left it there. 100% agree with Tac and Robert.....the human mind is better at speed, time and distance. Even when hungover!

I like looking at the Vtek for the fun of knowing how fast Im going and what my top speed was. It would need a lot of refinement to be any use for racing. Without having tried the prostart, I echo Robert's sentiment. the speedpuck probably does all you want.

My advice is to get a great compass and then if you want speed, the cheapest thing that happens to be for sale on ebay . They will get better so let technology evolve.    
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee