Which compass?

Started by Luke Porter, February 27, 2011, 05:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Hyerstay

I guess I don't even see a reason to disallow getting set and drift data. I would like to see more devices that combine gps and fluxgate compass. I think limiting class rules forces manufacturers to leave out features that could be included at just about the same price point. If I am going to put my hard-earned money into a new box, I want to get the most for my money and have something I can take in class racing, PHRF racing, non-Viper racing. Look at how many people in this thread are having to buy two gadgets to get the features they want, since so many boxes leave out this or leave out that.

In principle, I favor unlimited instrument choices. Most of all, I want to be able to choose from any user interface on the market, since ease of use is so important.

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Drake Borer

.."a solar powered hangover deterent vitamin c dispensing tooth brushing doll inflating heel o meter made out of interstellar carbon monoxide pixie dust"...  Does that come in metric sizes?

Tim Carter

Knowing JJ, I'm sure that will be an option....  slight fee increase though
Lt Coast Gov

Matt Sole

The reason for limiting Set and drift, is that all other functions are nice to have but are not critical to doing well.
Set and drift can substantially improve your chances of doing well. To have such an advantage to not everybody would not be fair.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Craig Wilusz

JJ will use domimetric
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Drake Borer

Domimetrics? Knowing jj as I do dominatirix is more likely

Jason Hyerstay

Matt, thanks for your explanation of set and drift. I sail 95% of the time in freshwater (Lake Champlain), where we don't have tides, but there are some underwater currents here and there. I think I would be disadvantaged in tidal conditions with or without instruments to help me. Do most PHRF boats in saltwater use set and drift data in their racing?

Really the thing I like best in these standalone instruments is header and lift indicators that save me from doing arithmetic on every tack. I love the TackTick RaceMaster that my dad has on his C&C 99, so I can track + this - that on tacks. I'm under the perception that fluxgate compasses are more accurate for that than gps, but maybe not.

Right now, my favorite instrument choices would probably be the RaceMaster and the ProStart. I would be tempted by the NS360 with all the bells and whistles, but it sounds like the interface might be a bit complex to be used efficiently, but I still haven't seen one up close. The Melges 20 in our PHRF fleet has one though, and they seem to like it.

When buying, I would probably focus on what I would use locally in PHRF, rather than what would be class legal at a Viper regatta, since I can probably only afford to go to one or two Viper regattas a year, and maybe not even this year, since I am getting married and have very little money for travel (or gear for that matter). I just don't want to buy something here and get used to it to help me against dissimilar boats, and learning to drive the Viper, and then have to leave it at home for a travel regatta that I can only occasionally afford.

Playing devil's advocate for set/drift and the other bells and whistles, I feel like having extra data would only help me to almost catch up with the locals, who would know the tide and current already. It wouldn't be much different than picking up some local to help crew for that regatta.

I guess with any technology purchase, I like to future proof myself and get features that I might not want or need now, but that might be useful in the future. I guess I think it would be cool if all these self-contained instruments had gps and fluxgate built-in, and the tech competition would be more about user interface.

Cheers,

jason
Jason Hyerstay - Streetwise - Viper 640 #195 - Lake Champlain Yacht Club, Shelburne, Vermont, USA, https://lcyc.info

Justin Scott

Just thinking out loud here:

Why not let everyone spend whatever they like on expensive gizmos and just have a simple rule that at sanctioned regattas, everything except the compass gets put in the starboard locker.

At santioned regattas we can look at tracking and top speeds etc. after racing.

At local racing we can play with our toys to our hearts content, unless local fleets want a local rule.

This avoids everyone adding $500-$1000 to the cost of a ready-to-race boat. Deep wallets can update with latest technology every two years. Shallow wallets dont feel at a disadvantage. PHRF racers can get every tool at their disposal.

I confess I'm prone to buying the toys but I dont want anyone to think I have an advantage.   

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jason Hyerstay

I wouldn't want to shell out $500 for a dedicated compass if I've already bought a Velocitek SC-1 (all I own right now) or another multifunction device. I can't even see a dedicated compass-only device as a good value.

Justin Scott

Fair point. It is noticeable how much the Tactick costs when you consider that other single function fluxgate compasses are as low as $200. For small boat sailors nobody has designed an equally elegant and simple solution so I guess they can charge for it.

Just FYI, the Velocitek SC1 does not have a compass. The heading on the Velocitek is your average COG from the GPS tracking. Its not a compass and its not reliable for detecting headers and lifts. If a puff hits you and you heel and make leeway, the Vtek will indicate a header.  Current will fool you. You cannot shoot the breeze before a start.  Vtek is fun for speed and tracking but eventually you will want a compass.

But I agree the tactick micro is a pricey little thing. Love it but it aint cheap. So my idea may not be the answer.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Brad Boston

I just sailed for 4 days with the Pro Start and never changed the batteries..They have this thing really figured out.
When you buy in a group bulk they are not expensive...

Jason Hyerstay

Brad, do you also use a compass of some sort?

jason

Brad Boston

We usually bring the Tack Tick. I have both of these that I use on a couple of different boats and just move them around with me.

Drew Harper

Quote from: Brad Boston on March 07, 2011, 09:02:33 AM
I just sailed for 4 days with the Pro Start and never changed the batteries..They have this thing really figured out.
When you buy in a group bulk they are not expensive...

Prostart is not class legal. Hopefully it will be soon but be careful. I'd hate to see someone tossed for not sailing a class legal boat...would be a douchebag protest but could happen.

Make  sure your boat has all the NECESSARY class items. Dave, can you post a list of the essentials for clarity?

Thanks....
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Dave Nickerson

Our rules?  Pretty simple actually.  They are only about 7 pages printed.  Easiest to just read 'em.

Dan Tucker should soon be posting a version that includes all the changes that we voted on for the January AGM.  The prior exec committee decided that ones that don't involve any required mods to the boat will go into effect March 31.  The new rules on mainsheets and boats with carbon masts needing a gnav are effective June 30.
Viper #208 - Noank, CT