St. Pete Nood, Feb. 18-20, We doing this?

Started by Olaf Bleck, January 02, 2011, 10:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Bleck

HNY Everyone!

There was talk of this one as a precursor to Miami, as opposed to Charlotte Harbor.

Who's in?

Here's the link:
http://www.sailingworld.com/nood-regattas/st-petersburg

Cheers!
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Craig Wilusz

Been wondering the same thing.  Asked this a month or so ago and got a response that Charlotte and NOOd swithced.  That the class was doing NOOD in st. Pete rather than Charlotte in 2011.  The NOOD site has a class coordinator for the Viper listed in St. Pete for 2011, however our class website \has Charlotte Harbour lsited on the front page. 

i will regisiter for NOOD online this week to get the ball rolling if this is the case.

Craig and Deborah
#100 Ice Melted
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on January 02, 2011, 02:56:28 PM
The NOOD site has a class coordinator for the Viper listed in St. Pete for 2011, however our class website \has Charlotte Harbour lsited on the front page. 

Interesting - I did not realize my name was there as class coordinator.  That's a carry-over from 2009 - the class didn't go in 2010 and so far, I don't think we have a fleet for 2011 either, although Craig and Dr Oliver make two interested parties I've heard of, so I won't call it a done deal yet.

The problem with St Pete NOOD is wind - the class went three years 07, 08, and 09.  Only 07 had good wind and the other two were light to zero.  There's no sea breeze there, so February is at the mercy of whatever gradient weather system happens to be there. They put us out on circle "C" which is over five miles from the dock, which is a dang long ways for a boat with no motor and no wind.  On the other hand, the shore-side and harbor logistics are great and there are great restaurants and hotels.

As for Charlotte Harbor, I didn't make it last year due to boat problems, and the people who went had some bad weather.  It's on the class web site as an "invitation", but I don't think we yet have a core fleet say they are going, so we may not "make" there either.  The organizer is very welcoming and would love to have Vipers back - I just haven't heard from anyone making the trip.

Craig Wilusz

Okay, so neither regatta as of yet.  What say the guys coming done form the great white north (that is north of Interstate 10, ya'll).
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Guggenheim

109 black Mamba has an interest if we can get a few more , I will check with eric #23 to see if he can do it , What about Dave Furna  and David Eve

Craig Wilusz

Or Charlotte Harbor.  Seems to be a lex expensive alternative as opposed to NOODs.  We'll suppor Charlottte Harbor
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Furna

I can't do Charlotte Harbor, that's the weekend I go out west skiing every year. I may be interested in St. Pete, but a 5 mile paddle doesn't sound like fun.

Dave Furna

Jay Harrell

Quote from: David Furna on January 03, 2011, 12:12:07 PM
I can't do Charlotte Harbor, that's the weekend I go out west skiing every year. I may be interested in St. Pete, but a 5 mile paddle doesn't sound like fun.

Dave Furna

Does anyone want to take on the task of contacting NOOD and seeing if we could get assigned to the close-in race circle?  (It was called "A" previously, and they put all the huge aux boats on it)

One year we had a support boat down there, and so were able to get tows back and forth.  That worked rather well, although it was still a long ways out.

BTW, David Oliver out of Columbia has also expressed interest in doing the NOOD, so there's one more in the 'maybe' column.

Olaf Bleck

I'm in if it's going down.

It's damn cold here in Boston.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Robert Bernard

It looks like Charlotte harbor is out. No Vipers signed up according to their registration. How about St. Pete?
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Craig Wilusz

We gotta hotel already but have registered.  Kinda want to make sure peope are showing up.

Roll Call for St. Pete?

#100 Craig and Deborah-90% sure
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Oliver

Roll Call for St. Pete?

#100 Craig and Deborah-90% sure
[/quote]

Viper 91 will be on the hard in Columbia SC.  Professional issues have reared their ugly head.
We have stayed at the Pier Hotel, right close to the yacht club docks, fairly reasonable, nice older rooms, great ambience, good coffee in the morning. . . and free parking! I'm releasing my reservation today.
Charleston will have to be the first time you all see just how little I know about sailing a Viper. . .

David Oliver
Touch of Grey

David Guggenheim

Black Mamba #109 in ,I think Eric Gotwalt #23 a good chance

Guggs

Craig Wilusz

#100 Ice Melted is in.

Registered online this morning (01/08/11)
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Craig Wilusz

Looks like the St. Pete NOODS will be skipped this year in favor of the Lake Eustis Sailing Club, George Washington BirthDay Regatta.  Same weekend as St. Pete NOODs, only two days of racing, and about $200 cheaper.  D and I are gonna unregister for NOODs and have registered for Eustis Regatta.  Here is the Eustis regatta link:

http://www.regattaregistration.com/Default.aspx?RegattaGUID=2010GeorgeWashingtonRegatta&page=regattainformation&Type=NOR

Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur