So Cal Tour...

Started by Tim Carter, May 30, 2010, 11:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Carter

Well after a 25 hr, 900 mi ?Snatch & Drag?, Viper 104 has arrived in Southern California.  The boat towed like a dream, didn?t feel it at all with my Astro van.
The boat generated LOTS of interest just sitting still, but this boat won?t sit?it?s quivering to GO!  So??

I entered the boat in this weekend?s ABYC Memorial Day regatta and hoping to get it dialed in before Cal Week-End.  I sailed in a Portsmouth bracket against the likes of F-18?s, Tempest & Etchells and got to run down the Thistle and 5-0 fleets.  Saturday served up 12-14 kts but I don?t think it topped 7kts today.  The boat was fast right out of the box and we had grins all-around   

Everybody drove, everybody trimmed, everybody loved it?
Got lots of club members salivating to get in line for demo sails.  That?s starting tomorrow.

Coming soon to a regatta near you!

Team Viral
Lt Coast Gov

David Morse

By now Timbo has shown the folks of Del Rey the magic of the Viper.  I can't wait to hear his report and the results.

Tim Carter

http://www.samhaythornphotography.com/Sailing/2010-cal-race-week/cal-race-week-6-5-10-1020/891697787_GYnmK-M.jpg

Sorry, just got some time to catch up?.  YES the Viper caused quite a stir in Del Rey...

I entered Cal Race Week (end) hoping to join Glen Van Heel, one of my snake brethren for an assault on a ?Sportboat B? class.  Alas that was not to be, Glen?s team had a last minute conflict and the other sporty groups teamed up and did that one design thing...

The other thing that did not show up was the breeze; 5-8 kts in the lumpy ocean does not seem to be Viper conditions when matched up with 30 something ULDB keelboats.  Had a great time, played a lot with the rig and discovered a way to find a bit more grunt in the light & lumpy.  I seemed to be almost as quick as an Olson 29 and Santana 3030 to weather, and a bit quicker downhill, the only problem was they could square back and point at the mark while I got to do a bay tour... :)

One memorable experience was in the 2nd beat of the 1st race?.   Earlier in the day I had secured the main halyard by passing a bight of the line through the top cringle and looped it over the stopper knot on the halyard... old dingy trick that I?m sure everybody knows?  The problem was that when we pulled on a bit more Cunningham, the bight slipped over the knot and down came the main?  

So we looked at our options, rolled the boat on its side, and swam out to the masthead to retrieve the wayward halyard.  Everybody was back in, halyard back on, (bowline), main up, only 2 boats got by?

I would not recommend swimming during a regatta...  Especially one in Santa Monica Bay?  eeetch..

All in all, had a good time, talked up the boat a lot, handed out some class info and got a keeper for my efforts.  

BTW, Friends don?t let friends sail phrf, let?s get some more entries for Long Beach?  Three weeks away, you have time to step up?

http://www.samhaythornphotography.com/Sailing/2010-cal-race-week/cal-race-week-6-5-10-1581/891849098_gzhAU-M.jpg
Lt Coast Gov

Drew Harper

Quote from: Timothy Carter on June 07, 2010, 03:40:23 AM
http://www.samhaythornphotography.com/Sailing/2010-cal-race-week/cal-race-week-6-5-10-1020/891697787_GYnmK-M.jpg

Sorry, just got some time to catch up?.  YES the Viper caused quite a stir in Del Rey...

I entered Cal Race Week (end) hoping to join Glen Van Heel, one of my snake brethren for an assault on a ?Sportboat B? class.  Alas that was not to be, Glen?s team had a last minute conflict and the other sporty groups teamed up and did that one design thing...

The other thing that did not show up was the breeze; 5-8 kts in the lumpy ocean does not seem to be Viper conditions when matched up with 30 something ULDB keelboats.  Had a great time, played a lot with the rig and discovered a way to find a bit more grunt in the light & lumpy.  I seemed to be almost as quick as an Olson 29 and Santana 3030 to weather, and a bit quicker downhill, the only problem was they could square back and point at the mark while I got to do a bay tour... :)

One memorable experience was in the 2nd beat of the 1st race?.   Earlier in the day I had secured the main halyard by passing a bight of the line through the top cringle and looped it over the stopper knot on the halyard... old dingy trick that I?m sure everybody knows?  The problem was that when we pulled on a bit more Cunningham, the bight slipped over the knot and down came the main?   

So we looked at our options, rolled the boat on its side, and swam out to the masthead to retrieve the wayward halyard.  Everybody was back in, halyard back on, (bowline), main up, only 2 boats got by?

I would not recommend swimming during a regatta...  Especially one in Santa Monica Bay?  eeetch..

All in all, had a good time, talked up the boat a lot, handed out some class info and got a keeper for my efforts. 

BTW, Friends don?t let friends sail phrf, let?s get some more entries for Long Beach?  Three weeks away, you have time to step up?

http://www.samhaythornphotography.com/Sailing/2010-cal-race-week/cal-race-week-6-5-10-1581/891849098_gzhAU-M.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEK...you SWAM in that water. Hopefully you bathed in neosporin after LOL

Thanks for the report. Yup...30' ULBD's are our nemesis in SF Bay Timbo. We spot Olson 30's 3 seconds per mile here with our 96 PHRF and they will plane in 30 knots DDW. We just sail by them repeatedly and ask for beers on each board.

You are sailing at 111 down south...yes?

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Tim Carter

Yep, we kept saying hi on each gybe across the course.  No breeze to break the boat free...  disp mode all weekend.

The Viper has a long established PH of 111 here in So Cal.  Everything happens a little slower down here in LaLa land, were not as fast as those Ess Eff boats..    ;)
Lt Coast Gov