Sarnia One Design Regatta - August 5, 6, 7

Started by Kelly Bechard, June 10, 2011, 10:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly Bechard

SARNIA ONE-DESIGN REGATTA

AUGUST 5th, 6th, 7th 2011

SARNIA YACHT CLUB, SARNIA ONTARIO CANADA

Three days of racing

Friday 3-4 races (first gun around 2pm so boats can be set up in the morning)
Saturday 4-5 races Social at the Club
Sunday 2 races Awards and pack up
The  fee is usually in the $50 range but I haven't heard for sure what the fee is this year. I will update when I know what the confirmed amount is.

Hoist, Ramp and docking available at SYC and is included in the entry fee.

Friday night get together to be arranged
Saturday social event planned at SYC clubhouse - estimated cost $7-$10
Awards to be presented on Sunday afternoon after racing
No races to be started after 2 pm on Sunday

Entry List:
#19 Jay Harrell
#29 Darren Gilbert
#43 Steve Conger
#57 Kelly Bechard
#Can70 Mark and Matt Rowlinson
#119 Brad Boston/Lee Shuckerow
#165 Steve Graff

Darren Gilbert

Kelly,  Thank you for posting up the info.

I'm really looking forward to sailing in Sarnia again.  It's been WAY too long.

Just FYI for everyone coming from out of town, there's 4-5 local hotels within a 5 minute drive of the club.  Here's a link to some of them http://www.villageofpointedward.com/business/directory.php?category=hotel 

For anyone planning on attending the North Americans, it would be a good idea to get to Sarnia for this event to learn the current.  I can be pretty strong at times.

I hope to see everyone there!
Darren
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Jay Harrell

Pending working out family logistics, you can add #19 to your list.  My wife has a sister in Detroit she wants to visit and my daughter is ready to go racing.

Darren Gilbert

I Hope you can make it Jay.  Sailing on Lake Huron in August is awesome! 

Darren Gilbert

Hi Kelly,

Do you know when the NTR will be up on the Sarnia website?  Can you post it up when it's there?

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Darren Gilbert on June 14, 2011, 10:47:40 AM
I Hope you can make it Jay.  Sailing on Lake Huron in August is awesome! 

It's looking good for us to be there!  I'm currently trying to pick a hotel or place to stay - any specific recommendations or places to avoid? 

Darren Gilbert

Jay, the Holiday Inn is probably closest to the club (15-20 minute walk/20-25 minute stumble/<5 minute drive).

If that's full, than the Best Western is a little further down the road.

Both are good location and quality.  Beyond that there's the Quality Inn and the Comfort Inn.  They're a little further away, but the Comfort Inn might be a little cheaper.

BTW, the Holiday Inn has a little par 3 golf course on the property that's fun to play if you're looking to kill an hour.

Kelly Bechard

There are blocks of rooms set aside at a group rate at the Best Western (519-337-7577) and the Harbourfront inn (1-800-787-5010). Ask for Canadian sailing when you book to get the rate. Both are about a 5 minute drive from the yacht club.

Darren Gilbert

Hi Kelly,

Good response so far with 6 boats! 

Have any of the guys from Ottawa, Niagara, Olcott NY, Chicago, or St. Louis thought about coming?  It's not too bad of a drive for those owners and entry fee is low.

Jay Harrell

Good news - my family logistics are falling nicely into place for this event!

One small snag someone might be able to help with:  We will be visiting my wife's sister in Detroit for a few nights, and their neighborhood won't allow us to park the boat in their driveway.   Does anyone know a safe place where I could park my boat for three nights in the Detroit area?  Closer to Bloomfield would be better, but anything closer than the two+ hour round trip to leave it Sarnia would be appreciated.

Brad Boston

Eric or Lee hopefully can answer this.....

Eric Vigrass

You can leave it in my driveway if you like. I live in St Clair Shores.

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Eric Vigrass on July 11, 2011, 06:26:34 PM
You can leave it in my driveway if you like. I live in St Clair Shores.

Thanks a bunch!  I've just heard that we already have a solution, but I'll keep you number as a backup plan if something falls through. 

Darren Gilbert

Is there any pre-registration setup for this event or do we just sign up the day of?

Brad Boston

Just let us know and do it the day of. This is a low key really good time to see the place and get a bunch of races in.