National Champion - Event Idea

Started by Jeff Jones, December 16, 2009, 08:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Jones

I had an idea for an event.. 

What if we divided the country up into regions (already is).  Gulf Coast (TX), East Coast, SE, West Coast (inc AZ boats).  Maybe more..    Each region would have 3 major qualifier events, point total decide top two boats from each region.  Top two boats would attend a Nationals that moves around the country each year. 

3-boat qualifier would make it harder for rock stars to jump in and be the National Champion. 

Could have a little East Coast, West Coast trash-talk... gang sign slinging showdown.

It would be fun to see the top two boats from TX compete against the top boats from the East, West etc..  Build a little regional camaraderie.   Host region for the big event would be responsible for finding charter boats for the other teams if the didn't want to trailer. 

It also seems like the best way to get folks from different parts of the country together.

Drew Harper

Damn fine idea Jeff....a mini-champion of champions. Where and when? Be a great single weekend event. I'd suggest SF as a location because it would be a real test of the crews abilities to keep it together and the probability of carnage would likely draw the press. . . nascar style :-))  Hard to get a bunch of boats here though....at least for now.

Add to that, Stamford YC is hosting the CoC's this year. Let's make it happen in Vipers folks.
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Phillip Davis

I got a mo' betta idea, 'Slang.  Instead of cold-water $an Franci$co, make the champs in cheaper Corpus Christi (home of the 2011 Melgii Worlds).  Water is always warm, the wind always blows, it's a damn site cheaper venue than 'Frisco and sure closer to drive for both Coast.  Bonus for us Texans, well...home.

Tac Boston

OK, so instead of a 40-50 boat fleet at the "National Champs" you are going have a 6 boat fleet?

Greg Jackson

Quote from: Tac Boston on December 17, 2009, 12:02:14 PM
OK, so instead of a 40-50 boat fleet at the "National Champs" you are going have a 6 boat fleet?

"Regional National Champ"

Drew Harper

Quote from: Tac Boston on December 17, 2009, 12:02:14 PM

Not a nationals TAC, just an invitational. It's just an idea. Like I said, just a mini CoC.

ALL ideas are good to discuss. Who knows?

I'm bringing a couple of Vipers to our local match racing program that is held on J22's this summer. They are interested to try the Vipers in the format for a change of pace.

Tac Boston

Sorry, I read this......3-boat qualifier would make it harder for rock stars to jump in and be the National Champion. 

And it seemed like the idea was to lower the #'s. My bad I guess.

Jeff Jones

Between the NA's and CRW we have a few nice events' that sould draw 40 +.   My thought was to do something that would bring people from the corners of the USA. together.  It will probably be rare that guys from the West Coast will be able to travel to the East for a large event and visa versa.

It would be a little different from anything anyone is currently doing in our sport. 

A friend once told me...  Jones, i love the way you go around vomiting idea's while i come behind you and clean up ;-)   

Chris Shaughnessy

I know there's only a few boats in europe & allegedly 3 or 4 in Perth W.A. but would be real cool to have a slot or 2 for rest of world, yes ?

Drew Harper

Quote from: chris_s on December 17, 2009, 08:12:54 PM
I know there's only a few boats in europe & allegedly 3 or 4 in Perth W.A. but would be real cool to have a slot or 2 for rest of world, yes ?

Absolutely Chris.  There's a new Viper in Switzerland, a couple in England and 4 in Perth. Let's get some people over for this.

Now that I read the CoC is being held on Ideal 18's (Ultra, did you puke u that one too?) I think we REALLY should hold this event...maybe same weekend as CoC or right around then?

Jeffrey Young

Great idea, Jeff

If (when) I get a boat, and if (highly probable) I don't qualify for an invitation to the regatta, I would make my boat available for someone to use who couldn't trail his boat to the selected site (especially to a skipper from an international location) -- with the hope that I might be one of the crew for her/him.

I also would like to see a nine or ten race regatta with rotation of boats among the teams (day one and two)

and/or

(day two or three) a team racing event with the teams representing each region.  A scoring system could be developed so that the Champ of Champs could be selected as well as the Champion Region for the year.

Someday I will learn to write without parentheses (hopefully).

jy

Justin Scott

I Love this idea.

This means that once a year, folks from the class can get together in one location without towing boats, to sail together for a little friendly competition and camraderie.

Can I throw out some ideas?

We did something similar in another class. It was hosted by the Southern YC in New Orleans. Great fun. It was called the Big Easy Invitational. My head starts to throb just remembering the parties. Part of my brain cortex was for ever left behind in the French Quarter!

So as an aside,  "Who Dat?! Here We Come! Go Saints!."

Local fleets were left to their own selection process.

Here are some that I liked:-
3 slots.
To qualify, must sail in 75% or more of the local series.
1 slot by merit (winner of the series)
1 slot by vote of fleet, for the best sportsperson on the water.
1 slot by drawing names out of a hat.

So that it really represents the philosophy of the Viper class, "open to everyone" and the fleet is truly represented.

3 boats from each region. Host Region tries to provide 15 boats so that 5 regions/fleets are represented. (But 9, or 12 is also OKay in early days).

1 weekend. 1 day of fleet racing and 1 day of team racing.
Winner gets a trophy. loser gets a HUGE perpetual booby prize that they are required to display at their local club until they can get rid of it. The infamous David Frederick Lipton prize.

All that really matters is avoiding the David Freddy Lipton. So you have 4 winning teams.   
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Drew Harper

Quote from: jacare on February 01, 2010, 01:23:22 PM
Great idea, Jeff

If (when) I get a boat, and if (highly probable) I don't qualify for an invitation to the regatta, I would make my boat available for someone to use who couldn't trail his boat to the selected site (especially to a skipper from an international location) -- with the hope that I might be one of the crew for her/him.

I also would like to see a nine or ten race regatta with rotation of boats among the teams (day one and two)

and/or

(day two or three) a team racing event with the teams representing each region.  A scoring system could be developed so that the Champ of Champs could be selected as well as the Champion Region for the year.

Someday I will learn to write without parentheses (hopefully).

jy

You crack me up Jacare (really) :-))

Jeff Jones

Justin - I love it.

Jacare - when you place that order, make sure you tell your west coast dealer it was me that got you hooked :-)  (kidding- little jab for the drewster)   

Drew Harper

Quote from: ultraracer613um on February 02, 2010, 06:22:50 PM
Justin - I love it.

Jacare - when you place that order, make sure you tell your west coast dealer it was me that got you hooked :-)  (kidding- little jab for the drewster)   

Well, reality is you got most of us hooked Justin. You're like the pusherman..."hey sailor, try out this little boat...sure this ride is for free" Then WHAM...you're hooked.

Viper = Crack  :-))

OK, we REALLY should host this event either in Corpus or in SF Bay. REALLY put the Viper teams to the test...eh?