Miami vs. Mardi Gras

Started by Olaf Bleck, January 05, 2011, 12:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Bleck

The score at the moment is 16-11, New Orleans.

In between all this builder warfare, I kinda wanna figure out which of these two I want to do.  I'm still quite on the fence, especially since Coconut Grove is my home port from my opti-days.  Yet, it seems like MG is pretty heavily favored, being pushed pretty hard by a few people, and might just be the better "party", EFG or not.  I think I'd weigh toward the Big Easy, except...

I also want to support whatever we have going on with EFG, if that's really worth it to the class.  Justin posted on that extensively a month or two ago, yet it doesn't seem like it made a whole lot of difference with regard to registrations. It is completely unfortunate that these two regattas are concurrent this year.

So.... where we going?!  What, 10 weeks or so...?

Cheers!
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on January 05, 2011, 12:59:20 AM
The score at the moment is 16-11, New Orleans

I wouldn't read much into that current score - there's going to be good fleets at both events.  If the Groove was my home town, I'd go there.  As it is, Sally wanted to go to New Orleans to relive some fond memories of trips past, so I'm going there.  Much of Texas is going to New Orleans, but they weren't going to Miami even without the conflict because the drive is just too far for them.  Early indications are the that logistics and support are going to be much better at Miami this year than last year.  On the other hand, the organizers at MGRW have been very welcoming and helpful to the fleet.  I don't have much doubt that sailing on Biscayne Bay will be nicer than Lake Pontchartrain, and the it's very likely to be warmer in Miami as well.  MGRW will cost less.

Back and forth, no big winner. My conclusion - it comes down to personal choices.

David Furna

I'm headed to Miami for the warmer weather and combine it with family vacation time. I'd like to race the MGRW, maybe next year when they don't overlap.

Let the winner of Miami race the winner of MGRW in a match race on practice day before CRW starts!

Jeff Jones

Agree, should be nice fleets at both venues.   

Love the Charleston idea....  maybe take the top three from each and make it a team racing event. 

Phillip Davis

We support EFG and hope they will expand to include the other three coasts of the US--Gulf, West, and Fresh Water, in their circuit plans.  After having a completely East Coast agenda in 2010, the should have planned for the MGRW as the first for 2011, then CRW, the something back West.  Spread the sponsorship around.  US (S)ailing gets plenty of grief for being too hide-bound to RI and the Northeast.  There's a lesson to be learned here.  The US is large and each region needs to be served, equally.  If the organizers don't do that, the proletariat will, as MGRW clearly demonstrates.

Jeff Jones

Entry list is now up to 16 vipers, including the current north American champions on jackpot! 

Steve LeMay

We're gonna need a bigger bar.... How many snake bites can we serve Jonsey? I think our previous record was in the 40's.

Troy Gilbert

17 V640's by this morning.

FYI - NOYC's bar has a legendary capability to handle even the most optimistic boozing class. The club's bar does not have an official closing time, has been featured on Sailing Anarchy multiple times and holds the record for accidental self-inflicted gunshot wounds to members who were drunkenly discharging firearms from the balcony over the years (3) - (this practice pretty much faded away in the late 1970's and is currently frowned upon) - periodically though, our two cannons will be dragged out onto the balcony and fired at our friends and neighbors at Southern YC during their lady's bingo night.

We are also still actively pursuing an official French Quarter MGRW HQ bar.

Thanks and see y'all soon.

Jeff Jones

Lemay....  I'm working on the Texas viper tiki bar, stay tuned.   

Heard from two more texans today and they and an okie are better than 50 %.

This will be a nice shot in the arm for the growing Texas, ailing southeast and budding new Orleans fleet.   Way to go folks!!!

Troy... Keep working on a special deal for the fleet, please...   For the event we are going to start an online thread where all the teams can Twitter their current location and party plans each evening.   This way we can make sure we keep everyone in the loop and party as a group each night.   I'd say viper flash mob, but in new Orleans that could take on a life of itself.

March is close, but not close enough.

Justin Scott

Quote from: Phillip Davis on January 05, 2011, 02:36:54 PM
We support EFG and hope they will expand to include the other three coasts of the US--Gulf, West, and Fresh Water, in their circuit plans.  After having a completely East Coast agenda in 2010, the should have planned for the MGRW as the first for 2011, then CRW, the something back West.  Spread the sponsorship around.  US (S)ailing gets plenty of grief for being too hide-bound to RI and the Northeast.  There's a lesson to be learned here.  The US is large and each region needs to be served, equally.  If the organizers don't do that, the proletariat will, as MGRW clearly demonstrates.

You are right, EFG has been extremely generous to the Class.

By way of background:-

We pitched to them a partnership between the Viper class and EFG International. We want to visibly demonstrate that we are genuine partners with our sponsors. This will lead to longer relationships than sports that just take the money without endeavoring to help the sponsor see a real benefit on their investment.

EFG is an international private bank with a significant business in Canada and Latin America.
Like the Viper Class, they are innovators and like the Viper class they are also adherents to a grass roots approach.   

They were attracted to our proposal because they want to sponsor a Pan American championships to include Latin America, Canada and the islands.

The championship series is a 3 regatta series with one in Miami (EFG's headquarters in USA , the center of the Latin American operations and a strong Latin community), one in Canada and one in the USA.

This year, EFG agreed to add a West Coast location, Long Beach Race Week, to the circuit.  Tim Carter helped make a strong case for this regatta with enthusiastic participation generating good publicity for EFG's LA office and an innovative proposal to tie in 2 simultaneous events on the same weekend. It is quite likely that we will set a record for the most Vipers racing at the same time with as many as 60 Vipers racing on this June weekend.     

The series will always include Miami and always include a Canadian event. It is likely that the US events will rotate in a way that is relevant for EFG and the Class. They have already agreed to sponsor the 2012 NAs. If LBRW is a success, we hope thay will come back for that as well.

This is anything but a New England clique. An ability to speak spanish or canadian is much more useful than knowing how to crack open a lobster shell.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jeff Jones

Texas is frozen but looking at the weather reports for the north east makes me feel better about our situation.

Why oh why are there not 50 boats signed up for each of these regattas? 

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Jeff Jones on February 02, 2011, 07:54:55 PM
Texas is frozen but looking at the weather reports for the north east makes me feel better about our situation.

Why oh why are there not 50 boats signed up for each of these regattas? 

Perhaps because north of the M-D line, they can't find their boats under all the snow drifts?.....

Jeff Jones

That brings up an interesting point... 

With 5 weeks to go before Miamardigras, how may inches of snow would you have to shovel... Per day to get your boat out?   Now.... Add the amount of snow you expect to see between now and then.

The northeasties should be in fine hiking shape! 

Please reserve your comeback regarding sailing and the deep south for august.   

Justin Scott

Accuweather
Miami Thursday Feb 3rd : Sunny. Hi 81 ReelFeel 82   
New Orleans Thursday Feb 3rd: Cold with rain and sleet. Hi 40 reel feel 24

Nah it'll all be good in a month . Both  fun. Hurricanes or Mojitos?  We'll get a combined 30 boats on both lines. Next year, y'all got to get to work on a calendar that allows the gulf fleet to join us, and us to visit the gulf .

Someone sent me this by Will Smith. We're heading for mojitos and soooo ready for them.

?Miami the place?the sun set low
Everyday like a Mardi Gras, everybody party all day

Welcome to Miami and Bienvenido a Miami
Where the heat is on
All night on the beach till the break of dawn
I?m going to Miami. Welcome to Miami.

Don't get me wrong Charlotte town got it going on
And New York is the city that we know don't sleep
And we all know that L.A. and Philly stay jiggy, but on the snake
Miami bringing heat for real, y'all don't understand
I never seen so many Dominican women with cinnamon tans
Mira, this is plan, take a walk on the beach
Draw a heart in the sand give me your hand

Water so clear you can see to the bottom
Party in the city where the heat is on
Bouncin' in the club where the heat is on
I'm going to Miami, welcome to Miami"

Will Smith                                                         

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jeff Jones

Guess it's a good thing the 16 of us are not sailing in New Orleans until March.

Quote from: Justin Scott on February 03, 2011, 12:59:18 AM
Accuweather
Miami Thursday Feb 3rd : Sunny. Hi 81 ReelFeel 82   
New Orleans Thursday Feb 3rd: Cold with rain and sleet. Hi 40 reel feel 24

Nah it'll all be good in a month . Both  fun. Hurricanes or Mojitos?  We'll get a combined 30 boats on both lines. Next year, y'all got to get to work on a calendar that allows the gulf fleet to join us, and us to visit the gulf .

Someone sent me this by Will Smith. We're heading for mojitos and soooo ready for them.

?Miami the place?the sun set low
Everyday like a Mardi Gras, everybody party all day

Where the heat is on
I?m going to Miami. Welcome to Miami.

Don't get me wrong Charlotte town got it going on
And New York is the city that we know don't sleep
And we all know that L.A. and Philly stay jiggy, but on the snake
Miami bringing heat for real, y'all don't understand
I never seen so many Dominican women with cinnamon tans
Mira, this is plan, take a walk on the beach