McIntosh Cup Savannah May 9-10

Started by David Guggenheim, April 03, 2009, 08:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Guggenheim

WE have 8 boats as of today and 4 more possibilities , we can get free storage between Charleston Race week and Savannah, Lodgings, and can get your boat to Savannah if needed.

[email protected]
912-441-4454

Gary Umberger

David, boat #91 will definitely be participating.

David Guggenheim

Boats coming , #23

Gary Umberger

Quote from: Guggenheim on April 09, 2009, 10:14:17 AM
Boats coming , #23

Hey David,

As you may be aware we have 2 boats attendu=ing from Atlanta on May 9th-10th. Could you let use know if we need to register? Also, is there any camping @ SYC? What does it cost? I have not been able to find the NOR but I'm being told they indicate it is a one day regatta (Is that true?). Anyway we just need some info. Thanks for the help.

Mark Cribbs

Gary,

I haven't seen David's answer yet, so I"ll try to help.  Here is the link to the NOR:  http://www.sayra-sailing.com/publicdocs/NORs/maccup%20nor%202009.doc

The Savannah Yacht Club does not allow camping on the premises.  I think David was working on possible places for people to stay, so I'll let him address that.

The NOR does show one day, but I'm pretty sure David got the Viper racing extended to Sunday as well.

John Porter

Notice of Race and regatta orginally set-up as a one-day Saturday event.  Regatta has been reorganized around Vipers racing 2 days.  Lot's of Windward - Leewards, Lot's of Starts, Lot's of fun.   

We will provide housing for anyone that needs it (don't worry, my 8 and 5 year don't snore).  No convenient camping available.

Friday and Saturday night we will organize a brief on current and strategy for sailing in our neck of the woods.  Additionally we will have some awesome dinners, drinks, and southern hospitality.

Yall come on down.

JP
cool beans - USA 26

Mark Cribbs

Mac Cup is over after two good days of racing.  Competitors were:

19 - Harrell
23 - Gotwalt
26 - Porter
71 - Chapman
77 - Bennett
91 - Umberger
98 - VanValkenburgh
110 - Guggenheim

Courses were rather short w/l's, due to the width of the racing area, with the start/finish in the middle of the course.  Conditions were challenging as the predominant breeze was from the s/se, with a competing seabreeze from the east.  This mean a persistent left shift, with the puffs coming from the right, the bigger ones probably 40 degrees right.  Plus a very strong current with the full moon tides.  There were five races on Saturday, and I think 3 on Sunday.

After Saturday, standings were:

After Sundays racing, the final order was

I was on the course for a short while on Saturday, and got some pictures from race 1, some of which I'll post in this thread.

Jay Harrell

Justin Scott

That looks like a BUNDLE of fun.

Lets get a report and those pics up on the homepage.

Pics remind me of the time I visited Savannah YC. It reminded me of racing I 14s on the RiverThames estuary. Bump and tack. I really loved the club and I'm so pleased that we a Viper fleet there. I hope this event encourages more to join the fleet.

Congrats to everyone there.

And, oh yeah, cool beans, nice last day.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Dan Tucker

Can you zip up those photos and email them to me? tucker dot dan at gmail.com
Send them along with a few paragraph write-up, and I'll get on on the main site.

We REALLY want content like this on the site, not just the forums. Fleet captains/sparkplugs, please take note, we can put these sorts of things on the home page AND your fleet page!

Dan
Race it like you stole it.

Jay Harrell

I've posted the final results for all 8 races:
http://www.viper640.org/calendar/eventresults/210-2009-macintosh-cup-results

I've also update the SE Series standings:
http://www.viper640.org/fleets/southeastern-lakes/175-2009-viper-640-southeastern-series-standings

With 5 out of 7 regattas completed, the SW Series now stands at 38 boats competing.  Remember that only your top four regattas count towards your final score, so there's still room for folks to move up.

Jay Harrell