Long Beach Race Week

Started by Glenn Selvin, April 19, 2010, 11:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Selvin

So, I'm thinking three boats from Arizona, Glen Van Heel and Dave Morse locally, so that makes five boats.  Any more thinking about it?

Now, the question of the day...  Sheriff Bart will still have the old, original, smaller keel bulb.  Is that going to be an issue to the point that the boat stays on its trailer?

Drew Harper

Get it fixed Finny. It'll be the only boat there with a doinky.

Doesn't really matter though.

#104 is avail for charter should anyone want to sail last years winnah ;-) (200 samolians a day)

#126 will be there with Riddell the ringer aboard.

Hopefully #72 will make it too!

Not Sure about Winnard on #136 (wrong number? Maybe 135?)

#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

robert miller

Giggity Usa 26 will be there

rmiller

Jeff Jones

LBRW is going to be a good OD fleet event.  There's a good chance three boats from Texas will be making the trip, one for sure.

Drew Harper

FWIW, the West Coast owners took a straw poll and decided it was best to allow all boats to compete in the 2010 West Coast Circuit.

The Circuit started in Phoenix, AZ with the Leukemia Cup in January where we had 3 Vipers with doinkies (little keels).

We just finished the San Diego Noods and I don't think we had any doinkies there.

There's a high likelihood of doinkies at LBRW, High Sierra, Sarcoma and the SD ISAF regatta.

It's all good. Let's race :-))
#189 UK Built Mark IV Viper "DILLIGAF"

Jay Harrell

Quote from: BoomSlang on April 21, 2010, 08:15:08 PM
FWIW, the West Coast owners took a straw poll and decided it was best to allow all boats to compete in the 2010 West Coast Circuit.

It's worth a lot - the poll was done and the guidelines for 2010 were set.  For plenty of good reasons too.  No changing half way through. 

Back east it's been big keels for all big regattas since July 2008, but we are on a different time-line.

Phillip Davis

Well Finnie & Dave, please do come to Texas and show us your tiny bulbs ;) lol.  We gotta little bitty regatta we'd like ya'll to mosey on down and join us at and show our heavier, slower "sport" boat bros, the J80s, they need to change their ways, get righteous, and buy a Viper.   If Ultra-dude and I can travel to AZ and take first with our formerly little bulb on #33 at the Birthday Bash in Phoenix, certainly you Left-coast cools can drive back to the Middle-coast and show us your wares.  BTW, #33's been "upgraded" with a bigger sets of "bulbs" and got our clocks cleaned thoroughly at CRW, although it might have more to do with the skipper and crew than the equipment.  Come prove me wrong though:

ay 15 & 16 - Sea Lake Yacht Sales Shoe Regatta ? Galveston Bay

Lakewood Yacht Club Race Committee Chairman Dwight Bengtson has announced that the Sea Lake Yacht Sales Shoe Regatta will be held over the weekend of May 15 - 16.  In 1982, Lakewood hosted the first Shoe Regatta, and now the club is the organizing authority.  Bay Access, a not for profit organization that supports amateur racing, is the host.

The Regatta, which is open to the public, is a favorite among local racers because each crew member of the winning boat in each class is awarded a pair of Sperry deck shoes.

The Shoe Regatta is for one-design, handicapped, and cruising sailboats over 20 feet in length and with a cabin.  There will be three race courses set on Galveston Bay:  a windward/leeward course for the One Design classes; a windward/leeward course for handicap rated boats; and a third triangular course to provide a long race for handicap rated spinnaker and non-spinnaker boats.       

The Skippers Meeting will be held on Fri., May 14th, 7:30 pm in the ballroom of Lakewood Yacht Club, 2425 NASA Parkway, Seabrook, TX.  ?We urge all skippers to attend this important gathering so that they can take full advantage of all aspects of this weekend regatta,? related Bengtson.

In addition to the title sponsor Sea Lake Yacht Sales, other sponsors this year are Mount Gay Rum as the Silver Sponsor and Bay Access as the Bronze Sponsor.

The Saturday evening party will have live entertainment, food, and free beer.  The awards ceremony will follow the last race on Sun., May 16, and will be held in the ballroom of Lakewood Yacht Club.

Participants can register on line at www.lakewoodregatta.com   For questions, please contact Lakewood Yacht Club at [email protected] or call the office at 281-474-2511.

David Morse

The three of us enjoyed the road trip as much as the Birthday Regatta.  I admit before our trip to AZ, I was a little apprehensive about hitting the road.  Some of the heavier boats I have trailered around in the past had taken a toll on my resolve.  What it ended up being was easy-- the Viper is the most road friendly travel boat I have sailed.
Although I have decided to sit out Race Week or any other class regattas until the boat is properly upgraded, I do think the regatta and trophy you are working up sounds fantastic. That was kind of what I wanted to do with the Wanker Worlds (I hope you have more success than I did).
Tex, you are a really good guy who will make others want to sail the boat.  Good luck, and I hope your regatta is a huge success.
Dave

Tim Carter

Dave, let's make it happen....

How can I help, what do you need??
Lt Coast Gov

David Morse

I am in the middle of a retro on USA 770.  SCYA has requested the boat for the Carr Cup.  Walton and I have spent the past month working weekends on the boat.

My plan is to try to do Cal Race Week on the Viper since GVH has gone to the trouble to invite us.  To avoid the controversy, I have talked to the San Diego Soling Fleet to come up and sail Race Week.  We have agreed that if we don't make class we will sail PH.  Then as you know I am going to pack up and work in Florida for July and August (gotta like those fishing tourneys).

Between now and my departure I have no idea when I would have time to get to the downgrade.  Not to mention this whole drama has soured my enthusiasm.  At this point I honestly wish someone would come up with the money and make the boat theirs.
Cheers,
Dave