HPDO 2011 (Oct. 8-9, Rye, NY) - 30 registered so far...

Started by Peter Beardsley, August 08, 2011, 03:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Bleck

Peter,

I might need one or two people.  Still waiting to hear from my local guys.

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Peter Beardsley

I've been in touch with Olaf and am standing by to dump crew in his Viper if he says he needs 'em.  If anyone else needs crew, please let me know ASAP.

In the meantime, there's a movement to having a good ol' fashioned Viper post-race debrief on Saturday at AYC around some kegs, Q&A style to discuss what worked on the racecourse, what didn't, various Viper techniques, and a chance to pick the brains of the experts.  We'll have 3-time defending North American champion Brad Boston and his crack team on Jackpot, Ched Proctor of North Sails, past NA champ Justin Scott, technical committee chair Dave Nickerson -- there's going to be a wealth of Viper knowledge around that everyone can benefit from.  I will work with the folks at AYC to see if we can secure some space away from the party on club grounds, and some beer to travel with us.  Spread the word -- everyone should plan to be at AYC post racing on Saturday, and wait for those of us at Larchmont to drive over.  Stay tuned for more details. 

In the meantime, if you haven't signed up yet but want to show up late, I am told that the 30th Viper entry will be hitting the scratch sheet shortly (though at the end of the day, I know of at least 2 boats who have entered who won't be able to attend unfortunately), we have crew available and the weather will be warm and sunny.  That may not mean fantastic things for the breeze, but we should be able to race.  Unlikely to be the 25-30+ kts that there's been at past HPDOs. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Darren Gilbert

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on October 04, 2011, 02:20:03 PM
weather will be warm and sunny.  That may not mean fantastic things for the breeze, but we should be able to race.  Unlikely to be the 25-30+ kts that there's been at past HPDOs. 

That's ok with Black Sheep.  I've got my 12 year old nephew on the boat for his first taste at Viper racing.  Getting his feet wet in warm weather with lighter breeze is just fine with us!  With any luck he'll be hooked and in a few years we'll have a 2nd Viper owner in the family!
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Lee Shuckerow

Anyone have anyplace to stay out in hpdo? Rooms, boat, garage, etc.  We aren't picky. We have a few favors to cash in but we got a little busy with the north Americans and all that stuff. Thanks in advance.
Jackpot  #235

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Lee Shuckerow on October 05, 2011, 11:12:17 AM
Anyone have anyplace to stay out in hpdo? Rooms, boat, garage, etc.  We aren't picky. We have a few favors to cash in but we got a little busy with the north Americans and all that stuff. Thanks in advance.

Ditto on that.  Lee, if you want to split something, let me know.

Might have to drive my old uhaul down again...

Olaf Bleck

Mamaroneck Hotel sold out
No answer at "Vincent's"
Courtyard sold out on Sat, though apparently Betsy from Colonial Travel may be able to get some rooms for $129+tax

Anyone got an RV?  Looked around for one in the area, but no luck.  Up here, found some for about $500, but figure in gas and other fees and it's probably pretty hefty, never mind a PIA.

Other ideas?  Sleeping in my Uhaul still looking best.

Justin Scott

I'm full to the seams but I guess a floor at Chez Scott is better than a U Haul.

If anyone else (local crew etc.) can help out, that would be much appreciated by Jackie and I.....but we'll make more room if neccesary.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Peter Beardsley

Offer stands that if anyone wants to crash in Manhattan, I have a guest room with its own bathroom (and great waterfront views), but it's a 40-45 minute drive to LYC/AYC.  The Larchmont Viper guys mostly live in Manhattan, and the ones who live near the club are already full unless we have options among the Indian Harbor/Stamford crowd. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Justin Scott

Chalk Talk is scheduled immediately before dinner.

Thanks Dave N.

After dinner, a good portion of the fleet will be adjourning to Barcelona in Greenwich for further entertainment and useful tuning tips from Lee.

Exit 3 off 95, Barcelona is on Putnam Av just before the top of Greenwich Avenue. We adjourned there after the Larchmont regatta this spring. Somers Kempe and Jim King can attest.....good times.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Olaf Bleck

Hey Justin,

Please put me down for pitching a tent in your yard or equivalent.  Will bring.

Barcelona... sigh...

Cheers!

Somers Kempe

Barcelona... yep vague memories of overtaking a cop car on the way there.  shall i ship some overproof again?  ;)

Enjoy the regatta, wish i could make it.
Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Somers Kempe on October 05, 2011, 07:58:44 PM
shall i ship some overproof again?  ;)

Bring it on, my man!  And get on a plane! Geesh!

Peter Beardsley

We are now up to 30 entries -- not bad, though I don't think we'll have 30 on the start line Saturday when the gun goes off.  SIs are posted on yachtscoring.com and crews are still available if anyone is short. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Somers Kempe on October 05, 2011, 07:58:44 PM
Barcelona... yep vague memories of overtaking a cop car on the way there.  shall i ship some overproof again?  ;)

I had no memories of Barcelona. I'll take your word for it that we were there.

I blame the oberproof.

I'm on a two year training program for Houston 2013. I assume Bermuda will be there for that one.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Quote from: Olaf Bleck on October 05, 2011, 02:40:56 PM
Hey Justin,

Please put me down for pitching a tent in your yard or equivalent.  Will bring.

Barcelona... sigh...

Cheers!

Of course. Bring a sleeping bag. We will fit you in. Havent heard from Lee and Brad but they are also welcome.

Were you at Barcelona after the Larchmont Regatta? I really cannot remember who came. Jim King says he was there and that you are an excellent dancer (and that I am not). Ive told them they will have to move the tables because we will be dancing again. We have to work on Carina because she says she has some family obligation. Jackie says "Barcelona again?" "Absolutely!"
Viper - Mambo Kings