2011 East Coast circuit** - final standings

Started by Peter Beardsley, October 10, 2011, 11:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

We'll start with the **asterisk** footnote -- only a minor detail, since the entire "circuit" is unofficial, was never announced before the start of the season, has an arbitrary scoring system created by me, and arbitrary regatta selection that is somewhat controversial among the few people who have seen the results.  But I was inspired by the west coast folks' nice circuit scoring spreadsheet, and said "what if we did the same thing" -- and if this "circuit idea" ever takes off, there might be one east coast, one west coast, one midwest, one gulf coast, separate "winter circuit" standings a la Jaguar Cup with the Etchells, and of course the EFG Pan American Championship.   Decided not to include Miami or Sarnia since they were already in the EFG Circuit and since they're not uniquely "east coast" -- also since there were a lot of new owners who didn't take delivery of their boats until April or May and who couldn't participate in Miami, and since I think the NAs should be its own separate "championship circuit" that is different from these local events (with the exception of ACCs, which already purports to be the east coast championship).    

Anyhow, this is just meant to get people talking about what such a circuit, if any, should look like in future years.  On the whole, the regattas with the largest turnouts on the east coast in 2011 were selected.  50 boats sailed at least one regatta, 39 boats sailed at least two regattas, 20 boats sailed at least three regattas, and two boats sailed all 6, Olaf Bleck, and the 2011 "unofficial east coast circuit champions", Dave Nickerson and Moise Solomon.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Olaf Bleck

Wow, I'm definitely hanging in there with the "participation points"....! LOL

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Peter Beardsley

Edit: I guess 124 sailed all of the events as well -- though with a different skipper at the HPDO since Paul sold his boat.  It's listed under Paul, but if I broke that out like I should have done, we'd have 51 boats in the circuit.  Such is life with "unofficial" results. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Joe Healey

Peter,

Have you actually calculated the final results "unofficially"!!!  Which regattas were counted. Wickford, Bicardi in Newport, Larchmont Memorial day regatta, Marblehead Nood, HHPDO. Thats 5 what was the 6th ?
Viper 121 Live Wire

Peter Beardsley

The PDF attached to the first post has the "final" "unofficial" standings. 

1. Charleston
2. Wickford
3. Larchmont Memorial Day
4. Newport ACCs
5. Marblehead NOOD
6. HPDO

All but Wickford had at least 16 Vipers on the line, and all but Wickford and Larchmont Memorial had at least 19 on the line.  So, not bad.  Charleston is really more appropriate as a "winter circuit" type event, but I figured since the turnout was good and it was in the spring, why not.  Again, up for discussion to the extent people actually care about documenting something like this for 2012.  Doesn't need to have a "trophy" attached to it -- can just be for bragging rights and tracking participation. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Justin Scott

That premier event of the season, the Cedar Point One Design, seems to be missing. So does Miami......heh heh.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee