George Washington Regatta

Started by David Furna, January 24, 2011, 02:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Harrell

That's gonna be one crowded T-dock come launching time!

(BTW, Justin's been hedging as to whether he can get his boat shoveled out of the barn in time to make it, so we might just have 7.    But dang, the forecast says mid seventies for the lake next week...)

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on February 11, 2011, 10:30:44 AM
8 registered, can we get more?   33 Flying Scots registered.  Looks like a fun time.

Deborah and I are bringing Rum and Vodka for Viper sailors.

C and D
Ice Melted

cliff clark

The weather for the weekend should be great. The people at the Lake Eustis Sailing Club are some of the best around. Think Lake Geneva Wisconsin in Florida. There is a tremendous development potential at the Lake so I am happy everybody is showing up. It will turn out to be a great warmup for the Bacardi! If anybody needs any assistance, information, etc. (I have raced MC scows there over the years and am still a member) give me a shout. See you there.

Jay Harrell

My daughter is counting down the days until we can leave!  And I'm psyched  to meet several new Viperers for the first time.  You're right about the lake having real fleet development potential - we just need to show them how easy it is to have a good time with a Viper.  With the forecast for mid-70s and sunny, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Robert Bernard

where is everyone staying for the weekend? Are we going to try and stay at the same place?
Viper #76   Navi-Gator

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Robert Bernard on February 14, 2011, 07:43:18 AM
where is everyone staying for the weekend? Are we going to try and stay at the same place?

We're staying at the Hampton Inn "Leesburg".  The slightly closer one in Mt Dora was already full a month ago. Ray recommends the Comfort Inn and suites, and there are several other standard chain places around.

Craig Wilusz

We are staying on site.  Gonna cram four of us into the 20foot RV. 

Craig and Deboorah #100
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Oliver

Touch of Grey will be at the Comfort Inn.
We all can raise a flag at the club, tailgate style. 
I'm sure folks there will want to learn how to sail a viper - me, for instance. . .
The only time I've sailed against other vipers, Jay and David G showed me their transom.

Jay Harrell

Ok David, this time it's supposed to be warm and sunny so perhaps we can spend a little time looking over your rigging and maybe sort out whatever is causing you problems...  :-)

Quote from: David Oliver on February 15, 2011, 06:54:10 PM
Touch of Grey will be at the Comfort Inn.
We all can raise a flag at the club, tailgate style. 
I'm sure folks there will want to learn how to sail a viper - me, for instance. . .
The only time I've sailed against other vipers, Jay and David G showed me their transom.

David Furna

We are staying at the Econolodge, 15-20 minutes away. Saving money for Miami in two weeks.

Getting down there late Friday afternoon. Who's have the Viper Cocktail party?

Craig Wilusz

Great meeting everybody for the first time.  I will not be able to place names and faces what-so-ever, on the next go around.

Great class, glad we bought a Viper.  Everyone there was friendly and informative.  We learned a lot especailly about mast palcement and forestay length.  (ours was way off Saturday and you all let us check your mast butts out)

Thanks again ya'll.

Craig and Deborah
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jay Harrell

It was great to finally put some faces to some new names I've seen over the past year! 

Quick report:

7 Vipers sailed 4 very close races over two days in warm temperatures (near 80) and light air.   This is one very tight and competitive fleet.

1st place went to Brian Bennett and Len Burke, who showed us all how it's done, despite some stout challenges to their hegemony.

2nd place to Craig and Deborah Wilusz, who showed a steady upward trend in their finishes.  I think it was 4-3-2-1.  Look out for these guys in New Orleans!  Once they got their rig dialed in, they kicked some butt.

3rd to Jay Harrell and Scott Findley sailing with daughters Salena and Grace, who proved that you can sail a Viper at the front of fleet with 9 and 10 year old girls as crew by finishing 1-2-4-4.  BTW, the Vipers had more kids on board than the 30+ boat "family oriented" Flying Scot fleet did, and the two girls couldn't have been happier.

4th to David Furna, who won the longest drive award, coming in from the coast of North Carolina.

For 5, 6, and 7 we had Cliff Clark, David Oliver, and Rob Bernard - perhaps in that order, perhaps some other order.

And in 8th place the score sheet showed Justin Scott with a full row of DNS, so we can all now say we've beaten Justin in a regatta.  That will teach him to register and not show up!

Thanks for everyone who made the trip down and thanks to Ray Laguna for inviting us, and Lake Eustis Yacht Club for hosting a great weekend.

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Jay Harrell on February 21, 2011, 11:03:22 AM
It was great to finally put some faces to some new names I've seen over the past year! 

Quick report:

BTW, the Vipers had more kids on board than the 30+ boat "family oriented" Flying Scot fleet did, and the two girls couldn't have been happier.

That totally makes my day!

Sent from my Galaxy Tab or Vibrant using Tapatalk & Swype, sorry for any Swypo's!
Race it like you stole it.

Jay Harrell