1 (8.3%)
Conflicts with kids school break
0 (0%)
Not Attending 2011, but back in 2012
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: March 18, 2011, 07:56:06 PM

Jeff Jones

Bummer, got this today.  I expected a 40-boat fleet this year.

And we're stuck on a course with J22's and J24' while the melges only have to deal with the J80's?   

From the 2011 Charleston Race Week event:
CHARLESTON, SC (24 FEBRUARY 2011) - 2011 Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week's inshore courses have seen incredible growth this year.  Due to the unprecedented number of entrants, the difficult decision has been made to limit the number of inshore entries as of February 24.  This is being done to preserve the high caliber of racing expected in Charleston.  Please note the revised entry and payment dates below.

Inshore boats that are already entered must complete their registration with a payment in full by 1800 March 8, 2011 or their entry will be removed from the scratch sheet. 

Entries received after March 8, 2011 will be considered on a case by case basis at the discretion of the organizing authority. Inshore Circles One and Two consist of the J/22, J/24, Ultimate 20, Viper 640, Melges 24, Melges 20 and J/80 classes. If you have not paid your entry fee please do so. Please remember, a registration is not complete until the entry fee is received.

All new entries for ONLY Inshore Circles One and Two as of February 24, 2011 will be placed on a waiting list.

Craig Wilusz

Not a bad deal. J22 guys I would think would be a good market for the Viper, as for J24 guys, I kinda feel sorry for em really.
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

David Oliver

I hope we have the Ultimates on our course.  Used to race with those guys, they always have extra beer. . .

Jay Harrell

I this marks the end of "stage 1" for CRW = growth.  Now they have the very hard challenge of managing success and avoiding the "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded" trap.  Having been to the take-out ramp, "it's too crowded" is a very real danger.

Jeff Jones

They do that to the vipers in miami too. Stick us on a course with the J24's.   Wait until you're running downwind at 16 knot's trying to dodge 24 of those things.

quote author=Craig Wilusz link=topic=838.msg7515#msg7515 date=1298580472]
Not a bad deal. J22 guys I would think would be a good market for the Viper, as for J24 guys, I kinda feel sorry for em really.
[/quote]

Craig Wilusz

Try 22-24 knots, trapped out on a Nacra 20 with main, jib and spin, approacheing the shared leeward mark with a bunch of Finns. HAHAHAHA,
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Olaf Bleck

I actually got two versions of the email, the second one matching the amended NOR, quoted below.

It LOOKS like one can register and pay up until March 8, and then you're SOL.  Someone ought to send out an urgent email to the "skippers list".

As of right now, 22 Vipers, 33 J22/24's, 53 M24's, 23 M20's, ~15 Ult20's, and 23 J80's.  Holy....

Interesting--we're a mere minority.

NOR Is Amended to read:
Due to the limitation of available area inshore, Charleston Race Week is closing the
entries for the Inshore Circles only. Boats that are already entered must complete their
registration with a payment in full by 1800 March 8, 2011 or their entry will be removed
from the scratch sheet. Entries received after March 8, 2011 will be considered on a case
by case basis at the discretion of the Organizing Authority. Inshore Circles One and Two
consist of the J/22, J/24, Ultimate 20, Viper 640, Melges 24, Melges 20 and J/80 classes.
If you have not paid your entry fee please do so. Please remember, a registration is not
complete until the entry fee is received.
Amendment Posted February 24, 2011

-- http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_documents/407/NORAmend1.pdf
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jeff Jones

I hope your right but the email said they are cutting it off as of today and if your not paid hh the 8th someone else will get your spot.

David Furna

22 Vipers for CRW is weak.

That marina is going to be insane sailing in/out. BUT still glad I'm going!

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Jeff Jones on February 24, 2011, 04:48:03 PM
I hope your right but the email said they are cutting it off as of today and if your not paid hh the 8th someone else will get your spot.

Indeed, it is still fuzzy.  The NOR was update today.  But now, looking closer at the NEWEST email which quotes the NOR, it then says at the end:  "All new entries for ONLY Inshore Circles One and Two as of February 24, 2011 will be placed on a waiting list."

So I don't know...  I would suggest anyone one fence register immediately.

Kinda sucks just having 22, with a lot of names missing.

(Dave, we're gonna try to line up a rib or two for marina jockeying.)
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Matt Sole

I think it is complete and utter bullshit to suddenly limit entries with no prior notice.

They also have us as 4 classes in our circle. We are not going to get in many races unless they do continuous starts. Worst part of a regatta is wasting time for all classes to start.

Definitely needs and emergency email sent out.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Jeff Jones

I agree Matt but we might just have ourselves to blame.   Melges got just about every 20 in the USA on the line in time for the cut off... And I'm willing to bet they got the 24's did the same.  Maybe they knew something we didn't. 

If they leave us on a course with 3 other classes....  Including two of the slowest boats on the water, the quality of racing is going to suffer.   

I sent the organizers an email to that affect as soon as I saw the email.

Look on the bright side, next year people wont wait to register.     

Dan Tucker

Well, I just found out 2 days ago that someone was taking my boat. I just registered, and my name showed up on the entry list (Thursday night, 2/24 9:50 EDT).

So it looks like you can still get in, but don't dilly dally!

I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Race it like you stole it.

Matt Sole

How come getting people to regatta's in this class is like herding Cats??

Absolutley shocked at the attendance levels of Miami and CRW.

This time last year we were bragging about how we were going to own these regattas....ho hum.
Booze it or lose it

Hijack GBR 78

Jeff Jones

I'm bagging this regatta.  I've paid my entry fee so i own a gaurnteed spot.  It might be refundable.

If someone wants my spot send me an email viper640tx (at) gmail (.) com