Charelston Race Week 2011 Logisitcs

Started by Craig Wilusz, March 05, 2011, 06:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Wilusz

Hi,all.  First time at CRW this year and have logistical questions.

1) Where is everyone launching?

2) Where are the trailers kept?

3) What day/time is everybody arriving?

4) Anybody else camping or rv crashing the event?  If so where?

5) Any other questions I should be asking?

Note: There is a poll on these forums on why some folks may or may not be attending, please take time to fill out the poll.  Thanks

Craig & Deborah
#100 Ice Melted
"ours go to eleven"
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Craig Wilusz on March 05, 2011, 06:47:22 AM

Hi,all.  First time at CRW this year and have logistical questions.

Craig & Deborah
#100 Ice Melted
"ours go to eleven"

You'll love it!

1) Where is everyone launching?

There's two launch sites.  One is a YC over in Charleston (the event is hosted at a resort/marina/park across the river from historic downtown).  The easier one is a ramp about a mile or two north of the resort.  There's also a big lot there for boat prep.  Suggestion is to roll right in there directly, dump the trailer, and proceed to the resort.

Of note, the takeout Sunday is the real problem since there will be a huge log jam.  The ramp is three wide, but the area around there is shallow/muddy with little tie-up space.  So leave plenty of time in your schedule for that. I'd move your trailer from the trailer lot to the ramp lot Sunday AM.

2) Where are the trailers kept?

In another lot near the ramp.  All this will be in the SI's

3) What day/time is everybody arriving?

They haven't actually posted the 2011 schedule, but assuming it's the same as last year, racing is Friday-Sunday.  My plan is on Thur. AM, splash the boat at the ramp and sail her down to the docks, deal with registration and whatnot, and at some point no doubt there will be some practice racing of sorts.  I might get there Wed.

4) Anybody else camping or rv crashing the event?  If so where?

Tons of people park on the access roads to the resort.  Last year there was a good number of RV's in there, so I imagine it's not frowned upon.

There's also 4-5 budget hotels on the main road about a mile from the resort.  Priceline name-your-price should get you in there  for as low as $50-$60/night.  One had free breakfast.

5) Any other questions I should be asking?

They provide dinner at the tent parties on a couple of the nights, plus a band, dancing, and plenty of tiki bars pouring the Goslings.  On other nights we'll probably hit the town for dinner, etc.  We'll have some sort of Viper Pit text message hotline for coordinating.

Be sure to sign up for the "Viper Pit".  The marina is enormous and the free dock space is literally a LONG 1/2 mile hike down the docks from the resort.  The Viper Pit will be in rented slips substantially closer, in a premium area.  We'll all be tied up together as a fleet and also we'll have beer at the docks up until the tent parties daily.  It's $100 for the duration.  About a dozen people are signed up so far, but the intent is to get the entire fleet there.

For more details, see
    http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?topic=834.0

or email me.
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jonathan Nye

I am renting a UHaul self storage locker near the Azalea facility for sails and other stuff i don't want exposed to the heat from March 13 to April 14, If anyone wants in on this they should contact me.
Jonathan