Carlyle Sailing Association Whale of a Sail

Started by Thomas Leith, May 23, 2010, 02:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas Leith

September 18 - 19, 2010 Carlyle Lake, Carlyle, Illinois
About 5 hours from Chicagoland, 6 from Madison, 9 from Detroit or Atlanta, 12 from Fort Worth

Our friend Eirk Eaves (17V) is kinda tied up this summer, so I volunteered to help a bit. I'm the middle crew and alleged tactician on Tangerine (80).

Our club was the host of the 2009 US Sailing Championship of Champions Regatta, and has what has been described as "rustic" facilities in a Sailing World article earlier this year. But we have a protected harbor, three jib cranes, two ramps, lots of dock space, a big little lake and no swimming pool or restaurant. When you come to Carlyle Sailing Association's Phillippi Harbor you come to sail. Greg Fisher's 2009 Lighting Class World Champion crew Dan & Tobi Moriarty sail Lightnings and Melges 24s at CSA. But we're working on them. This team also took second place at the CoC regatta in 2009.

The Whale of a Sail is multi class regatta complete with live music and dancing in the evening. They'll do a one-design fleet with five boats, or they may combine us with others for Portsmouth racing if we don't have enough. We have two boats, can we get three or five more and show these Lightning guys the future?

Seriously, this would be a great place for a Midwest Viper Meetup and we really need to get a Midwest Circuit going whole people still remember the Sailing World cover. Carlyle, someplace in Nebraska, Indianapolis, Stockton Lake in western Missouri would all be terrific targets. Overlap with Great Lakes and Texas regions would be great. Maybe if we start crashing some parties we can sell a few boats.

I've turned on "Notify me of replies" so I can follow this.

http://csa-sailing.org