Big practice weekend in Detroit, MI

Started by Lee Shuckerow, May 28, 2010, 03:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Shuckerow

we are finally getting the big practice day in a week before the Detroit NOOD regatta. It looks like we will have four boats for tuning and boat handling. We are sailing out of Crescent Sail Club in Grosse Pointe, MI. The boats here are

Grendel
Jackpot
Black Mamba (Guggenheim let us borrow his boat for the month)
That's what she Said
Jackpot  #235

Jeff Jones

Good luck with the event Shuck..    here's to blue skies and big breeze.

Matt Rowlinson

We had the blue skies, and enough breeze--thanks Lee for setting this up and sailing with us, and to Brad Boston for coaching and running races.  A great day--we learned a ton, and lots of new potential viperers got to sail.

Kelly Bechard

Definately a great day of sailing. We had lots of interest in the boat and we're able to get quite a few friends and club members sailing. Thanks to Lee for setting it all up. Looking forward to seeing everyone racing next week in Detroit,

Lee Shuckerow

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 28, 2010, 08:43:09 PM
Good luck with the event Shuck..    here's to blue skies and big breeze.
Fortunately Jeff we had sunny blue skies but the wind was dead by noon. No problem though, we had some beers in the club and the wind picked up to about 5 knots at 2:30 pm. I jumped on with Matt Rowlinson on the Grendel and we did five or six practice races with Brad B setting up the course. All four boats on the water had almost all new people on the boat and they all had a great time figuring the boats out. BY about 5 oclock the wind picked up to 10knots. We came in to refuel and i jumped on with first time viper sailors Dave and Dan Shriner, with the borrowed boat from David Guggenheim. The wind then picked up to between 15 and 20 knots. I put Dave and Dano through the viper ringer and were out doing speeds in the mid to high teens. After a few wipeouts they got comfortable and we let her rip until about 8:30. Turned into a fun day with warm weather and in the end some breeze. we had a couple dozen people show up throughout the day and had a lot of inquisitive people about the boats.
Jackpot  #235