Bermuda 2016 North Americans

Started by Douglas De Couto, March 13, 2015, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somers Kempe

All - Social packages have been updated.  You now get 1 ticket per boat included in your registration, and the price is now $60 a ticket each additional ticket.  Best deal on the island.

There is also a trailering fee of $100 per boat that will cover the concierge trailering to and from the docks and clubs while your boat is in Bermuda.

Viper 640 #262 - "Smokin" - Bermuda

David Furna

Great....now that I've bought 3 @$80
Got an extra ticket to give away! Who wants it?

John Leyland

Are those of us who bought tickets @ $80 each going to get rebated?
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Somers Kempe

Yes, those that bought at 80 will get rebates. 

Justin Scott

Quote from: Peter Broszkowski on October 03, 2016, 11:20:42 AM
correction..ocean freight insurance turns out to be extra. Total bill came to $118. I think it is still reasonable.

So just to be clear......One off event insurance in Bermuda + Freight Insurance with Boat US costs only $118?

Even though I am insured with Gowrie for my US sailing.....it would be cheaper to buy that event insurance from Boat US than extend my Gowrie insurance.

Peter...do you have a contact number we can call?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Justin Scott

Great insurance tip from Peter.
I called Boat US. They totally get it.  You have to buy a one year plan ....and that is fine....for around $250 (final quote pending) for sailing in US and Bermuda waters (not to and from Bermuda)  + coverage during freight both ways.
Im still checking fine print but it looks good.

I am waiting for a quote from Gowrie

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

David Furna

Thanks Justin,
Gowrie hasn't been very helpful. Interested to hear what BoatUS does for you.

Dave

Peter Broszkowski

Justin
My annual premium for the USA waters is abt $400. For Bermuda they charge extra $38 for every two-week period (or part of it) the boat stays there. They initially included the cargo freight in that rate. Then they tried to charge me $250 extra, but then when I complained they waived that fee. So everything is negotiable it seems.
Peter Broszkowski
Nyack Boat Club
USA 193

Mark Wheeler

We dropped our Viper #230 off at the Salem, NJ Terminal today.  This is in small town NJ.  I was very worried about a massive Longshoreman terminal with everyone with their hand out for $20 to do anything and then getting the boat cleaned out as soon as I left.  Salem is not that way.  Small time operation.  Everything in this terminal goes to Bermuda. Joe, the forklift operator told me that they will forklift the trailer onto a steel pallet like the one that was next to my boat with a truck on it, and then it would be craned on using the pallet and stored below deck.  It is a bit unnerving leaving your boat anywhere with just a handshake and a piece of paper but Salem left me with a good feeling....

Mark Wheeler

This shipping insurance issue has been quite a bit of a pain.  The high cost comes from not being in a container or being (Roll on / Roll off).  The lowest quote I have come with is .65 per $100.  So a $25000 value would be  $162.50 one way and I am going with this.  Insurance companies that have quoted lower numbers or added on the coverage to existing policies at fairly low numbers, I do not believe totally understand what they are signing up for.  I have tried hard through a couple avenues and had no luck with this.  I am very disappointed that Gowrie, the US Sailing recommended insurance can not help us.  I plan on moving on next year.  My point of contact for the insurance I am getting is Dan Medeiros at Masterpiece International 401-851-7916.  He has done our customs work also.  All good.  Shipping out of Salem with Jackie Berberabe at Voight Maritime 212-635-9580.  Nothing but the best to say about her also...

Somers Kempe

Glad to hear the glowing report.

FYI - Bermuda is still here, following hurricane Nicole and we are cleaning up.  All the visiting Vipers came through ok.  A lot of homes without power, mine one of them, so if you email me about the regatta - be patient for a reply.

Cheers!

Peter Bauer

Somers, hope you get power back soon.  We were out for a week after Sandy.  It is a pain.  I dropped my boat in New Jersey this AM.  And I got a email from Zina at BCL about the procedure for returning shipping of the boat.  But, I'm not sure what to say regarding when I will be shipping the boat back.  Can you advise?  Thanks, Peter

Somers Kempe

Hi Peter,
Power is back on thankfully.  Last year we were out for 2 weeks which was getting real tedious.

I am having a meeting Nov 18th (tomorrow) with Daunette Bean at Bermuda Forwarders who will be handling bookings for the return trips.  They are handling all the import clearance work in Bermuda, so it is a natural fit to have them handle the outgoing since they will have all the Customs paperwork already from the import side of things.  In the Freight Shipping document on the website she is listed as the person to contact for outbound shipping.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_documents/1577/OceanFreightFAQ_03-10-2016.pdf

Shipping a single boat/trailer from BDA to USA you have 3 options.  Here is an overview: 

1) Cheapest at $1000 is from BDA to Port Elizabeth, NJ.  Runs weekly service.

2) $1500 per boat from BDA to Salem, NJ.  Weekly service, and small operation very friendly on the NJ side.

3)  $1500 per boat from BDA to Fernandina Beach, FL.  Runs almost every two weeks.  Important for those that wish to send their Vipers south for the winter.

I will be contacting owners individually real soon regarding the $1000 discount shipping vouchers going towards their return shipping fees.

Masterpiece International will be the USA side importer of your vessels - and you should have all dealt with Dan there when you booked/sent your boat outbound.  He is important because he will collect all the fees, and he will register your boat upon export so you don't pay duty on it when you re-import it into the USA.

All the logistics of getting your boat to the docks in BDA are covered by the event trailering fee.  Concierge service - you just need to tell me what voyage/date of departure your boat will be leaving on and we will get it to the docks in time.

As mentioned earlier - have a meeting with Daunette tomorrow, to "tee" her up and to try to make this as smooth as possible.  Will advise on that later.

Any further questions let me know.

Peter Bauer

Glad you have ice cubes for your rum

Peter Beardsley

FYI, our calls to BoatUS on the insurance front indicate that they specifically do NOT cover freight and RoRo, so for anyone going that route, just make sure you read and understand what your policy covers.  We are buying the insurance from the shipping company, which is at the rate that Mark quoted.  It's all a little bit of an adventure but the shipping company people seem good, Somers is working hard to provide fast and diligent answers and make the logistics as painless as possible, and it sounds like it will be a fantastic event.  Still would love to see / hear how the Aussies are doing the container loading and unloading in case we all have to deal with it for a World Championship Down Under in 2020 or 2022. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"