Bayview One Design - June 1-3

Started by Darren Gilbert, January 05, 2012, 09:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Gilbert

Since Bayview decided to not host a NOOD event this year, they are organizing their own regatta during the June 1-3 weekend.

The event has already been posted on yachtscoring (http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm) and I've registered.

There's 6 vipers (including myself) in the area, so there's a good possibility for 10+ boats on the line. 

I hope we can generate some interest from out of town boats to travel and make this a great annual event to add to our fleet's schedule!
Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Darren Gilbert

BTW - Here's the website for the regatta. (http://www.byc.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=342748&ssid=244072&vnf=1)

7 Vipers are already registered.  Hoping for many more.  

For the out of town boats, Bayview has mentioned they can help with accomodations if needed.

Cost is very reasonable, and the regatta has promised a Viper pit for all boats to be together.

If you have any questions, speak up and I'll get them answered.

Thanks!
Darren

Eric Vigrass

This is going to be a FUN regatta. Sail hard, party hard!

Kelly Bechard

Just a reminder that the late fee kicks in after May 11.

Darren Gilbert

Hi Guys, I'm just doing a quick roll call to ensure we have enough boats for the BOD.  We need at least 6 for a start.
Here's who we have registered.  Please confirm if you're coming...
# 29 - Black Sheep
# 70 - Grendal
# 119 - Jackpot
# 150 - JRWoneDesign
# 57 - Medusa
# 180 - Rondar Raceboats
# 106 - Widespread Panic
# 43 - Zigzag

Kelly Bechard

Steve Conger

43 zigzag

Darren Gilbert

I'm in, and I talked to Lee so 119 is in to.  We need to more.  Jerry?  Dan?

Darren Gilbert

I am currently looking for some crew for this weekend in Detroit.  Anyone interested?

Darren Gilbert

Just a quick bump for this event.  The "DOOD's" are this weekend in Detroit.  If you don't have anything on the go, come sailing in the D.

Justin Scott

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Darren Gilbert

Justin - the BOD's were excellent.

First day we all got a little wet with some rain, but had a fun time sailing in variable breeze throughout the day.  I think we got 3 races off with Jackpot winning 2 of them (but I got Eric in race 2).  Back on shore, Bayview hosted a great regatta party with multiple bands playing tunes, a'la carte dinner and $1 beer/$2 rums.  They had daily awards for the top 3 boats in each fleet, plus a bottle of champagne for the first boat from each fleet to get back to the dock (which went to Black Sheep!).

The second day nuked with gusts over 30.  It was a quick DDW sail out to the course, but a brutal up hill battle back.  2 teams had gear failure so the class was getting a little thin at the end of the day. But we did manage to get in 4 races (Jackpot won all of them).  The organzation committee had a hospitality boat (40' cabin cruiser) out on the water and I reserved a spot on it for my wife.  She had never seen me race before so this was a bonus for us.  Once again the party on shore had great bands, cheap food (but good!) and cheep beers and rums.  More daily awards and champagne (went to Zig Zag).  My crew was pretty exhausted and so was I.  After a number rums I called it a night before it was dark (we did have a comfy Beneteau 36.7 to stay on).

The third day was interesting as the BOD's allowed us the option to either sail again on the lake course, or move into the river right out in front of Bayview (LOVED having this option).  We opted to share the river course with the U20's and a couple other boats, which saved us an hour sail out and back.  The races were short but fun (about 25 minutes each).  It was a change of pace and felt like Junior Sailing all over again.  I think we got in another 4 races (Congrats to Kelly for getting the Jackpot guys in Race 3!) before the wind really picked up and RC called it a day.  This was an added bonus as we got back to the hoist before most of the M24's!

Everyone I talked to at the regatta said they had a fantastic time.  It had a much better feel to it than the last 5-6 Detroit Noods I was at.  I'd like to thank everyone that came from the Viper fleet especially Dan from Rondar who made the drive.  There was some buzz around the club about the boats, and it was nice to be able to showcase them on the Sunday by sailing right out front of Bayview with all the spectators.

Next year, you east coast guys need to come.  
Cheers!
GIBY

Results are here http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=202

Dan Tucker

It was a ton of fun, for sure. Bayview YC did a great job ashore, and giving us a choice to move to a different circle was a very competitor friendly attitude, which I appreciate.  We had some issues so our race results were not good, but it was worth the drive.

I particularly enjoyed racing on the river on Sunday, that was a hoot. I'd like to to that at least one day next year.
Race it like you stole it.