2019 Viper 640 World Championships Event Website and Notice of Race

Started by John Leyland, November 30, 2018, 02:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Leyland

The Southern California Viper 640 region and the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club are proud to announce the Viper 640 World Championship in Long Beach, CA –  August 19-24, 2019.

Event Website: https://www.abyc.org/calendar/race/3534-2018-viper-640-world-championship

Notice of Race: https://www.viper640.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/2019_Viper_640_World_Championship_NoR.pdf

Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Steve Chapman

Steve Chapman
Oshunmare - Viper #288
Chair International Viper 640 Class Association
Ottawa - Great Lakes Region

Peter Beardsley

Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Cole Constantineau

Meow! is on the scratch sheet :) ..Just noticed we're up to 23 entries...

Steven Haywood

Is there an event the week before by any chance?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: Steven Haywood on February 03, 2019, 05:51:26 AM
Is there an event the week before by any chance?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
There's a pre-regatta at the same venue Saturday-Sunday before racing starts on Tuesday.  There's also the Pacific Coast Championship a weekend before that in Santa Barbara, CA Aug. 10-11-ish I believe - would be great to get at least one South African team on the line. 

EDIT: just looked at the scratch sheet -- two already signed up!!!  That is awesome.  Let's get an Aussie team and a Bermudian thrown in, plus a Spanish team, and make this really something. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Steven Haywood

We'll do our best to secure sponsorship we need to get across there... :D

Steven Haywood

Hi all

Do any of the Long Beach locals have any recommendations for where to stay for this event?
Areas to look at for Airbnb, decently priced hotels, etc? We'll probably hire a car for the duration so distance isn't a huge thing, but ease of commute probably is :)

Thanks!

John Leyland

Hi Steven,

I have gone down from Vancouver a fair amount over the last few years.  If looking for an Airnbnb/VRBO look around Belmont Shores or Bluff Park areas which is relatively close to the club.  Also, there's info on the events page for the Aryes Hotel in Seal Beach with a Viper promotion....looks like a good deal for a nice place.  I've also stayed at the https://www.goldensailshotel.com a few times which is a 5 minute drive from ABYC.

Cheers,
John
Viper 191 - "Moistened Bint"
Vancouver, BC

Steven Haywood

Thanks John

Have booked a spot in Lakewood. It's a little distance from the club but the price was right. :D

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

Peter Beardsley

After the first round of early entry discounts, we're at 44 entries from 5 countries, and counting. Would be great to see a couple more Australian entries and maybe a Bermudian and Spanish entry. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Steven Haywood

What's the dress code for the welcome functions?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Peter Beardsley

Pretty solid event and likely the toughest fleet in class history.  A lot of really good teams had scores that don't reflect their past performance - 4 teams that placed between 14th and 19th had been in the top 5 overall at a Worlds or NAs in the past 5 years.  Final results attached for posterity in case they are deleted from the ABYC website at some point (which I think happened to the 2014 NAs scores eventually).
Viper 333 "Glory Days"