2015-2016 Sarasota Viper Winter Series

Started by Travis Yates, June 30, 2015, 11:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis Yates

2015/16 Sarasota Viper Series Dates were confirmed back in March and our preparations are underway to make this season down in Sarasota the best yet! We are chatting to a few sail makers/pros about hosting a set up/tune up/training day on the Friday before the December event with coaching boats and a course being set up.  Additionally, the Sarasota fleet is working to help drag boats back down south after North Americans.
Make sure the dates are in your calendar, you have crew lined up AND plan on getting your boat down early!
Look out for more details on early registration incentives and storage details soon.

Event #1   December 12-13 (Clinic Day on the 11th)

Event #2   January 9-10

Event #3   February 6-7

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/11371
Sidewinder
USA #244
Sarasota Sailing Squadron

Peter Beardsley

Ghost Panda will definitely be there. This was a great event this past winter and will be a mandatory must do for us going forward.  Great hospitality, nice conditions, inexpensive relatively speaking once the boat is in Florida, etc.  From all accounts I am expecti ng 20+ Vipers this winter.
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Sail22

Travis,

I just checked to see the Etchells, Melges 20 and J/70 winter schedules are here are the dates for all combined.

December 5-6 - Etchells
December 12-13 - J/70, Viper and Melges 20
January 9-10 - J/70, Viper and Etchells
February 5-6 - J/70, Viper, Etchells and Melges 20

Not sure if any changes can be made but I think it would help grow the series if there we less conflicts. I know for us we have to prioritize on the J/70 since there are over 800 boats and 50+ at the Winter series. We also have factory spare masts, booms and sprits which we have yet to figure out from Rondar.  We will once again try to be at the Viper events that we can. But it is purely a business decision.

Sincerely,

Ed Furry
Sail22
USA 231

Cole Constantineau

After the winter we just had up here in the Northeast, my boat will be living in Sarasota and Miami this Winter.  If anyone is putting together shipping options, could you keep me in the loop?

Thanks,

Cole

Michelle Lee

Cole,

Travis has had good experiences with U-Ship and other Vipers have mentioned some favorite carriers, so hopefully one of them will chime in.

For everyone who's shipping a boat down, the SRQ Viper fleet will be glad to help receive the boats and get them stored at the Squadron.  Just give us a heads up on what's arriving when so we can meet boats as needed. 

On the Thursday and Friday (December 10th and 11th) before the December races, we'll have members of our fleet there to help people set up their boats, so come down a little early and join the party.  Friday will be a clinic and tuning day.   

Look forward to sailing with everybody in Sarasota this winter.  Cheers!

Steve Chapman

We will also be there with 211. Planning to U-Ship or join any others from the NE to send the boat after the NA's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve Chapman
Oshunmare - Viper #288
Chair International Viper 640 Class Association
Ottawa - Great Lakes Region

Peter Beardsley

For those who are thinking about this, I have a driver lined up to do a couple of loads on a 4-boat trailer.  Options and likely cost for one-way shipping are as follows:

1. Western Long Island Sound to Sarasota: $1,500/boat one way
2. Hampton to Sarasota (post MidAtlantics Nov. 6-7): $1,000/boat one way

Shipping would be in mid November.  Costs may have some minor variation depending on if there are additional loading / unloading costs (i.e., whether it can be done at the Clubs or whether we need to go to a nearby lumber yard if the drysail areas are too tight for a giant trailer to come through -- some spaces are better than others but there's a chance SSS will be too tight to unload there, TBD).

If you have any interest in this arrangement, send me an email.  I know other people are planning to drive their own boats south, which is fine too.
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Justin Scott

Mambo Princes (new boat, son of Mambo Kings) will be doing the Sarasota Winter Series.

Who else is in?

We all enjoyed having the Florida boats visit us for the Larchmont NAs and the hospitality they have planned for Sarasota sounds just too damn good to pass up on.

It sounds like : Peter B, Cole, Steve Chapman, The Mambos, Dave Dougherty are all planning to make the trip. Who else do we know about?
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Peter Beardsley

There are a lot of people who are in from everything I've heard.  The NOR and Entry Form is being tweaked but the draft I saw looked fine...looks like registration is live at http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/11371
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Cole Constantineau

I'm definitely in!  The boat is going on the trailer after the Hampton Fall Fling in a couple weeks.  This weekends sleet storm reminded of why I'm going to Florida this winter...

Steve Taylor

From Hampton, Henry (227) and I (220)  are planning on coming down again as well. Maybe some others as well. Had a great time down there last winter!

Justin Scott

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Nick Ward

Proper Villain #165

Travis Yates

Registration has been open for six days (four of those while everyone was out ripping around Long Island Sound) and we have ten boats so far. That is our five from Sarasota and five from up north. Lets keep the ball rolling and get big numbers early to help convince some of the fence sitters that they need to make plans to get down here for some great warm winter racing.
Let me know how I can help you pull the trigger,
Travis
[email protected]
Sidewinder
USA #244

Travis Yates

And don't miss the change to sail in Hampton for the Mid-Atlantic Champs Nov 7-8th, it is on the way south!!!!
Sidewinder
USA #244