2012 St. Pete NOOD

Started by Craig Wilusz, September 10, 2011, 08:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Wilusz

Hi ya'll.

Is the Viper Class considering the 2012 St. Pete NOODs February 16th-19th?

Or

Is the Viper Class considering the Lake Eustis George Washington Regatta Feruary 18th-19th?

Thank you.

Craig
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jay Harrell

There was also some talk about multiple Viper OD events in or around Miami over the winter - has there been any further development along those lines?

Jay Harrell

Quote from: David Furna on September 12, 2011, 12:06:19 PM
Seems like the St. Pete NOOD is kind of dying for a lot of fleets. Not sure when the Vipers went last, but I think most people hated it.

I think "hated it" is a perhaps too strong - I have some very fond memories of sailing Vipers at St Pete.  Not to mention that the St Pete hotel and restaurant situation is very good with everything in walking distance, and StPYC is a fantastic host. 

We had Viper fleets at St Pete NOOD in 2007, 2008, and 2009 and I was there all three years.   The problem with St Pete was lack of wind, combined with being put on the "C" course over 5 miles from the harbor.    My boat got big stranded out there in 08 and paddled 2 miles (said our GPS) before we finally picked up a tow.  In 09 we had a fleet support boat that towed us in and out, which made it feasible, but still there was little to no wind, and a very long tow past a whole lot of good sailing water to get to and from our course.    The organizers don't seem to understand that they needed to put the smaller boats on the closer ("A" - right off the pier) courses and send the big boats (with motors) five miles out.

By contrast, the GW Regatta at Lake Eustis was fun even with bad wind - we had an onshore postponement and then made best use of the wind that came without need for paddling or towing.  The downside was a rather late last race on Sunday then 40+ boats on two ramps, which got us on the road after 5pm that evening.  I won't try to make it all the way home next time.

Our issue for 2012 at either venue will be finding enough boats.  About half the boats that came to GW last year have been sold since and are no longer in the region.

Still, we need to go somewhere that weekend...

Justin Scott

I guess different strokes for different folks.

I was there for all three years, and I went in 2 previous years in the Viper as well.
I confess that I had a great time. Nice town. Good sailing alternate years and even in the not so good years, I met good friends and we got some good but tricky racing in. Nice change from February in New England. Some friendly other classes, eg U 20s and M24s.

Then in 2009 we went on to Miami after St Pete, and for us folks that come a long way from NE....once I'm in the car, its worth the extra driving for Biscayne Bay.

Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Justin Scott on September 13, 2011, 02:04:39 PM
Then in 2009 we went on to Miami after St Pete, and for us folks that come a long way from NE....once I'm in the car, its worth the extra driving for Biscayne Bay.

I have to agree with Justin on that point - awesome sailing on Biscayne Bay!

So that begs the question: are there any dates yet for Biscayne Bay this winter?  Inquiring minds want to know, as do their spouses, crew, children, children's friends, and babysitters.  Wait too long and logistics get too hard.

Justin Scott

Quote from: Jay Harrell on September 13, 2011, 02:20:10 PM
Quote from: Justin Scott on September 13, 2011, 02:04:39 PM

I have to agree with Justin on that point - awesome sailing on Biscayne Bay!

So that begs the question: are there any dates yet for Biscayne Bay this winter?  Inquiring minds want to know, as do their spouses, crew, children, children's friends, and babysitters.  Wait too long and logistics get too hard.

+ 1. Add Parent Teacher conferences to that mix.   It will be fun....lets hear the dates.
Viper - Mambo Kings

Justin Scott

Lets drum up some volunteers to help .
Viper - Mambo Kings

Chris Shaughnessy

Melges 20 and 24 class sites both say Mar 8-10, 2012

Peter Beardsley

Coral Reef Cup dates are March 23-25 -- though it is also Etchells nationals this year, so I'm not sure what would be involved in sharing a starting line. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Tim Carter

There will be MAJOR PUSHBACK from the Etchells class to share a racing area much less a startline during a National's..

You might get them to set up another circle.....
Lt Coast Gov