2012 Regatta Schedule (all events)

Started by Peter Beardsley, November 17, 2011, 03:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Beardsley

I've been tasked with helping to update the 2012 Event Calendar and we'd like all events to be posted there if you know the dates.  Either log into the front page and then go to http://www.viper640.org/calendar/all-events/all-events and click on the calendar icon on the top right to submit an event, or just send me a message or post on this thread and I'll add the event for you.

We're in the process of updating a lot of content on the website generally and tweaking some things -- it'll take some time.  Suggestions are welcome, esp. if there is out of date content that you want to flag for us so that we can edit it.  We'll have more stories on the front page more regularly going forward, an easier way to search for archived regatta results, a new class newsletter, and a bunch of other stuff.  Stay tuned. 
Viper 640 East Coast Regional VP / Class Governor
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Joe Sircely

Please add to calendar-

Dallas Leukemia Cup Regatta
Dallas Corithian Yacht Club
May 4-6, 2012

www.dcyc.org

(Pending Texas Circuit)
"dude- this thing is fast"

Peter Beardsley

Thanks Joe.  Please post information about any other Texas regattas -- I have the California ones all set and some of the Pacific Northwest, though those guys may have a few more to add.  The northeast and midatlantic are largely accounted for, could use a few more Canada / Midwest / SE events too if they're out there. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"
Formerly Viper 269 "Great Scott!", Viper 222 "Ghost Panda" and Viper 161 "Vicious Panda"

Justin Scott

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on December 06, 2011, 01:27:25 PM
Thanks Joe.  Please post information about any other Texas regattas -- I have the California ones all set and some of the Pacific Northwest, though those guys may have a few more to add.  The northeast and midatlantic are largely accounted for, could use a few more Canada / Midwest / SE events too if they're out there. 
When I click on Peter's picture, that Panda looks really pissed with a F 18.
Viper - Mambo Kings
Right Coast Refreshments Committee

Peter Beardsley

Quote from: Justin Scott on December 06, 2011, 05:24:15 PM
When I click on Peter's picture, that Panda looks really pissed with a F 18.
You would be too if an F-18 had just rolled you to weather!  Ah, the joys of multi-class events...

We're having a bit of a glitch with posting new events to the schedule in the meantime.  Keep posting them here on the forum, but it may take some time for them to go on the main schedule off the front page, stay tuned. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Jeff Jones

Texas schedule for 2012

Mardi Gras Race Week Feb 23 - 26 (Friday, Sat and Sunday)
* Already 18 boat's signed up, i'm expecting over 20.  This was a fantastic regatta last year.  It's growing rapidly, could be one of the largest regatta's on the Gulf at some point.  This is kind of turning into a sporty event - we'll be joined by a fleet of new VX Id's and moth's this year, which will be cool. 

Leukemia Cup May 5,6  (Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club)
* Joe Sircely, an ex and future viper owner is rolling out the red carpet for us on this one.  I'll ask Joe if he can give us a short blurb about what they have planned for us this year and put it in the newsletter.  DCYC is a great club and this is a worthy cause.

Corpus Christi Regatta June 9,10  (Corpus Christi)
* A June regatta in corpus, perfect!   It'll be warm, but a good chance the breeze will be on.  CCYC is trying to build a large regatta in what i believe is one of the best places on earth to sail.  We will again this year be sharing a line with a rowdy J24 crowd - which was cool last year.  They finished the 24's upwind which they like, and added a downwind leg for viper kicks..    They will also be adding a PHRF fleet but that will be on a different course.  Cool, because the party will be bigger and if you cant stand the viper or J24 crowd, you'll have options.   RC work was fantastic.  Cant wait for this one, and i'm very happy the viper fleet will be able to support CCYC in their effort to promote sailing down there!

HYC One Design Regatta September 22, 23 (Houston Yacht Club)
* Big one last year, going to be bigger this year.  Maybe 20 + vipers at this one...  that's a reality, not a goal.  So let's set a goal to have 30 boats.   I know there is are two boat's in new orleans that are looking to travel to some houston regatta's this year.   Last year this was a 100 boat regatta, based on feedback it might be a 150 boat regatta in 2012.   Pat Gibson has invited all the viper sailors to a party at this house Friday evening (kidding pat)

GBCA Compass Bank Regatta  October 6, 7 (Galveston Bay)
* Two weeks after the HYC regatta, same location (galveston bay).  Probably be able to leave our boats down there and rigged so this is a no-brainer.  GBCA always puts on a good party.... uh um, regatta i mean.  Last year they had a big tent set up, great dinner / drinks.   

Wurstfest Regatta November 10,11 (Lake Canyon)
* What else can you say about wurstfest, except Owen (my 12 year old) got to eat pork-chop on a stick, a giant turkey leg and giant German sausage during our visit down-town Friday.  What else can you ask for!  Oh ya, we also sailed.  What better than to cap the year off with what might be one of the most challenging venues in Texas.  I understand that Borer's going to non-skid his keel for this one

Peter Beardsley

OK, all regattas that I know about have been posted on the schedule by now.  If you don't see a regatta on there, please let me know.

I am in the process of updating the categories of regattas.  Savvy Viperers may notice that there's now an "EFG PanAm Championship Series" category -- more regattas will be added to this once an announcement is made as to how the 2012 EFG PanAm Championship circuit will work -- if what I think will happen, happens, then there will be a lot more opportunities to sail and qualify for that in 2012. 

Texas has its circuit designated.  If other areas can agree on their circuits, I will classify those regattas accordingly. 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Darren Gilbert

Formerly Black Sheep (#29), Black Sheep II (#194) and Black Sheep III (#106)

Peter Beardsley

Done.  Any other events from the midwest / Canada that I am missing that will be supported by Vipers? 
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Michael Gravitt

Southern Bay Race Week June 1-3. Hampton Va. Great regatta, plenty of Goslings Rum, Bands and lots of boats. Trying to show off these boats here. Lots of people talking about them but no one has really seen them.

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Michael Gravitt on February 07, 2012, 02:40:50 AM
Southern Bay Race Week June 1-3. Hampton Va. Great regatta, plenty of Goslings Rum, Bands and lots of boats. Trying to show off these boats here. Lots of people talking about them but no one has really seen them.
I'll check with Tyler Moore and see if he's available for some Rondar support. He has #73 in Hampton.
Race it like you stole it.

Peter Beardsley

Wait...Tyler has a Viper?  Can we get him on the racecourse one of these days?  That'd be the dark horse candidate for 2012 NA champion.  He is fast.
Viper 333 "Glory Days"

Dan Tucker

Quote from: Peter Beardsley on February 07, 2012, 02:57:09 PM
Wait...Tyler has a Viper?  Can we get him on the racecourse one of these days?  That'd be the dark horse candidate for 2012 NA champion.  He is fast.
Hmmm. I think he should sail with me for the NA's, now that you mention it!

Tyler's been Rondar's 5o5 guy in the US for some time. He's sitting on one of the early Rondar Vipers in Hampton, VA. It's Rondars boat that needs to find a new home, though she's rather a BBW, a few pounds overweight. Would be best for someone who's not going to do much, if any one-design racing. Though Brad Boston won his first Viper regatta in a heavy. We'll sell 73 for pretty short money.

Michael G, I emailed Tyler about the June regatta. He said he's game to race a Viper, but we would need at least 6 boats to get a one-design start. They wouldn't let him race the Viper in the PHRF fleet last year. So your mission is to hustle up at least 4 more Vipers to make it happen!
Race it like you stole it.

Michael Gravitt

Have been working on getting boats to Southern Bay Race Week for a couple of years. Even lined up storage last year for the boats going North. Only Furna bit on it. Tyler was out of town. If anyone is interested I will line up storage again. Its a huge regatta. Three race courses. Lots of Rum... Tyler says he will sail, Furna also and myself. RC said last year we needed five, but six is better.