2011 Mardi Gras Race Week

Started by Jeff Jones, October 26, 2010, 07:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olaf Bleck

Well, unfortunately there's a complication with the Miami/Bacardi Cup.  It turns out we're somewhat locked into MiamiRW on account of  EFG sponsorship, and they've of course been great and will be again in 2011 if we commit to Miami.  Definitely bad timing...

Read more in the 2011 NA thread:

http://forum.viper640.org/index.php?topic=626.0
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Jeff Jones

Olaf - as i mentioned on the NA thread, most of the boat's committed to making Mardi Gras Race Week a success for the viper fleet are either a.  boat's that wouldnt' make the trip to Miami anyway due to the distance, time away or cost   b.  teams that have "been there, done that". 

A group of Texas and Southeast boat's are committed to building MGRW into a Charleston type venue for the viper 640.   A rather inexpensive, off-the-chart fun event where the race organizers are excited to have you (see Troy's post).   That experience has built CRW into what might be a 40+ boat regatta this year.

Sometimes there are things that even money cant buy...

David Furna

So the fleet splits....20 in N.O. and 20 in Miami.....the winner of each regatta face off in Charleston for the "Viper Bowl".

Sure seems like a lot of great regatta's get stacked on the same weekends.  The Miami Race week Grand Prix overlaps the Bacardi Cup too. Lots of great racing All On The SAME WEEKEND.

Steve LeMay

I'm in! Miami is a hard competitor but taking 12 hrs off a drive for me makes it easy. NOYC and Southern are great clubs. Plus, if you have not done Mardi Gras you are missing an epic party.

Jeff Jones

Rose Manor is 100% booked by Viper teams.   We're looking for other options that we can take over.  Current feedback is very positive, vipers are on their way to overtaking the Finn's as the largest OD fleet at this regatta (in our first year!)

Lot's of chatter about MGRW and the viper fleet at the LPRC several weeks ago..  good stuff! 

Tim Carter

By the time were done, they will probably re-name it the "Delta" house....And I PROMISE you, we WILL be on "double secret probation"

Toga! Toga! Toga! Toga!

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 15, 2010, 11:24:09 AM
Rose Manor is 100% booked by Viper teams. 
Lt Coast Gov

Steve LeMay

Team Screamer is going down for "Fat Tuesday" before the regatta. If you have never experienced this, you are missing out. This gives us 24 hrs for bail money and to sober up.

I also talked to a local sailmaker and they are STOKED about the vipers. Ponchetrain is a great place to sail. The 2011 J 22 Worlds are there in October. 

Old Boats Rule!!!

Jeff Jones

NOR attached.  They have use down for 2:00 Viper 640 Demo's on Thursday.   Sounds like there are a lot of people down there very excited that the viper fleet is showing up in force for this thing.

Right now, at last head count we stand around 15 solid entries.  The SE vipers indicate that they might have several more guys from the Carolina's interested in supporting this effort to build our numbers in the South / Southeast.

More as i learn it.

Kevin Blank

Link to registration form:

(please register with the links below)

Kevin Blank

We have 5 boats already confirmed for Mardi Gras.  3 Texas boats, 1 local (me) and 1 from Hotlanta.

#17 - Snake Spit
#129 - Animal
#115 - SeaMonkey
#19 - Scratch
#55 - Screamer

Kevin Blank

Here are the official links to know about:

Host Club: http://www.noyc.org
URL to Register: http://whoisracing.org/2011/mgregister.cfm
Scratch Sheet: http://whoisracing.org/2011/mgwhoisracing.cfm?regatta=1101B

Vipers are the first boats to register!

Jeff Jones

Thanks for that Kevin, ten boat's by days end?

Get signed up, this is going to be a fun, low cost event.  A big showing will go a long way toward not only supporting Kevin and the other local boat's but give a much-needed boost to the Texas and Southeast fleets (Georgia).

Jeff Jones

Well, we blew by ten boat's and had 12 on the roster in the first 24 hours.

Registrations and emails of interest continue to trickle in, up to 14 as of today.    The organizers are "over the top" excited to have us.

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Troy Gilbert on October 27, 2010, 10:43:28 PM

- I recommend getting rooms at the Rose Manor Inn @ West End (only 9 rooms, but 2 blocks from the yacht club) however if you do want to stay in the Quarter, go for the Bourbon Orleans and make sure to ask for the MGRW discount. West End is a $17 cab ride from the FQ. If you have any issues with getting the rate discount, contact me directly.

Quote from: Jeff Jones on November 15, 2010, 11:24:09 AM

Rose Manor is 100% booked by Viper teams.   We're looking for other options that we can take over.  Current feedback is very positive, vipers are on their way to overtaking the Finn's as the largest OD fleet at this regatta (in our first year!)

I'm likely in, though not quite committing yet until I see what shakes out with Miami.  It's the same distance from Boston.

Where is everyone staying, given that the Rose Manor is sold out?  Troy, the Bourbon Orleans had no clue about any sort of MGRW discount.  The best I could do was to reserve $152/night for a double, triple-A rate.  But that's still $700 for 4 nights... yikes.

East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Troy Gilbert

I'm getting in touch with the Bourbon Orleans on Monday - the discounted rates were about $110 a night - obviously just some sort of a screw-up.

I'll post here with the codes once solved.