2011 Mardi Gras Race Week

Started by Jeff Jones, October 26, 2010, 07:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Blank

Snake Spit (#17) will be there.  

For everyone who hasn't been to New Orleans before, here's some additional details for you.  NOYC is located at West End which is only about 5 minutes from downtown.  That means if you want to treat yourself and stay in the hotel downtown, you're not that far from the yacht club.  NOYC is a laid back club, not one of those stuffy, blazer wearing type places, so nobody thinks twice about you walking in in shorts and a t-shirt.  

Troy, the organizer of the regatta, is super excited to have the Viper fleet show up.  Two years ago I raced my Finn and I they had over 30 Finns show up and I think almost 70 boats in total (not counting the kids in Optis).  There's a lot of buzz around the lake about this event and it promises to be really exciting.  

As far as sailing conditions, if the wind is out of the North, the south side of the lake can get pretty choppy.  In March, the lake hasn't warmed up, so make sure to bring foul weather gear to stay dry.

I propose some kind of evening Viper party where we take over a bar down in the French Quarter...  Bring your battle flags!

Jeff Jones

Thanks Kevin.  You bring up a good point / idea.  We might consider organizing a group party every evening to keep viper sailors together and make sure nobody is left out.  That was one thing that disappointed me about Miami, the fleet scattered after racing.

A few years ago during a tradeshow one of our vendors rented out a second story spot with balcony over burbon street...  insane time!  Ok Kevin, your a local....

I'll speak to Juan about organizing demos on Wednesday and Thursday.  He had a great idea about filling his viper full of ice and using it as a bar in the evenings.

And to Craig w - pictures go both ways so don't push that red button just yet.  Can't wait to meet the woman that married you.;-)

MGRW, - Charleston race week on the gulf coast?

Kevin Blank

I'll start throwing some feelers out to see if I can find a good deal on a balcony or bar...

Troy Gilbert

Hello Viper Class.

I'm the race chair for the Mardi Gras Race Week, and I've just gotta say - we're freaking pumped about the interest your class is showing for MGRW!

Viper sailors sound like the sorts that will excel at our event on and off the water and I am willing to put in 110% to make this happen.

- While we would prefer to keep you guys around the yacht club for the post-race events, I understand y'all want to hit the Quarter - I will set you up with a bar HQ (the Chart Room) in the thick of the French Quarter (sailing buddy of mine is a bartender there).
- As we are doing with every class, I will be meeting with a class rep to determine ideal courses and special needs - in this case it will be the local Viper guy - Kevin.
- NOYC's sailors ALWAYS win the party, so as long as you guys don't burn the club down, you should be pleasantly surprised at the social atmosphere of our club. (Our Commodore is a cop, so we have some interesting pull with the NOPD.)
- I recommend getting rooms at the Rose Manor Inn @ West End (only 9 rooms, but 2 blocks from the yacht club) however if you do want to stay in the Quarter, go for the Bourbon Orleans and make sure to ask for the MGRW discount. West End is a $17 cab ride from the FQ. If you have any issues with getting the rate discount, contact me directly.
- Mardi Gras is on Tuesday, March 8th. Hotel rates start dropping that evening. Official practice races start on Thursday, March 10th.

Do not hesitate to contact me personally for any questions and online registration and the NOR will be available December 1st (if not sooner).

Thanks and looking forward to seeing you down in New Orleans.

Troy
troyag [at] hotmail [dot] com

Drake Borer

Are you f..ng kidding me.  We got a race chair promising our own bar and cops that turn the other way?!?!?!  Hell I might go just for the party.  C'mon man.  This could be quite the time!!  AZ?, CA? All the big events (to this point) have been out east. Let's get a turn out to make it worth the hangover!

Craig Wilusz

It's true.  Louisianna is the only state that I have saiied in that I didn't have a police issue. 
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur

Jeff Jones

Yikes, too late to toss out a proposal to make this our 2011 north Americans? 

Regarding the list of special needs for the viper fleet....  that's a long list ;-)

Troy Gilbert

MGRW would be absolutely interested in hosting the Viper NA's. Also, on-site Viper demos and instructionals for the class and locals.

Let's make this happen!

Jay Harrell

Quote from: Troy Gilbert on October 28, 2010, 01:42:50 PM
MGRW would be absolutely interested in hosting the Viper NA's. Also, on-site Viper demos and instructionals for the class and locals.

Let's make this happen!

Dang, that's one enthusiastic regatta chairman!

So Troy, why does there appear to be two Mardi Gras regattas at the same time...

http://www.mardigrasracing.org and http://www.mardigrasregatta.com/

Can you clarify for us?

Tim Carter

2010 N.A.'s also happened with very short notice......  not a good habit to fall into, BUT.... THIS SOUNDS GOOD!  :)   any excuse for the Big Easy is good....
Lt Coast Gov

Jeff Jones

Quote from: Jay Harrell on October 28, 2010, 02:05:56 PM
Quote from: Troy Gilbert on October 28, 2010, 01:42:50 PM

Let's make this happen!

Dang, that's one enthusiastic regatta chairman!

So Troy, why does there appear to be two Mardi Gras regattas at the same time...

http://www.mardigrasracing.org and http://www.mardigrasregatta.com/

Can you clarify for us?

It appears there are already (4) vipers registered for the hangover regatta

Troy Gilbert

I'll clarify the confusion...

MGRW was previously known as the Mardi Gras Regatta and a subset of this regatta was for Finns and this was called the Mardi Gras Hangover Regatta. This Finn regatta had their own sponsors and therefore no registration costs.

Both of these regattas are now under one roof - Mardi Gras Race Week.

Further, if you have "registered", then you have actually registered for the 2010 version of this race. I will go and eliminate those old links.

The 2011 registration will be only found on mardigrasraceweek.org and/or noyc.org and will not be online until December 1st when the NOR is posted.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Olaf Bleck

Quote from: Tim Carter on October 28, 2010, 02:07:36 PM
2010 N.A.'s also happened with very short notice......  not a good habit to fall into, BUT.... THIS SOUNDS GOOD!  :)   any excuse for the Big Easy is good....

Let's do it.  All in favor? 
East Coast: Viper #56;  West Coast: Viper #24 (available for charter)

Craig Wilusz

Joinign Class in November 2010, So I will vote "aye" November
Craig and Deborah
#100 Myasasaur